Headed to Helsinki; help with sights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Headed to Helsinki; help with sights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, DL Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It's possible to take a ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn and back in 3-ish hours. That's my plan in August, since there doesn't seem to be a lot of time-consuming sites in either city.

Right now, I am considering Linda Line, but have just started my research.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:22 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I did a same day return trip on Linda Line a couple of years ago and all went well.

I did research at the time and came up with this company. I don't remember details anymore but must have been the fastest connection and the best departure times since I chose it at the time.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:05 am

Linda's boats are fast, no-frills (think airline seating with a bit more leg room) and subject to weather conditions.

Personally, I'd recommend the Tallink Superstar: faster than the el-cheapo ferries, yet much larger and comfier than Linda, and usually cheaper too.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
One of my favourite things to do in Helsinki is visiting the tower at the Olympic Stadium:

http://www.stadion.fi/visit-tower

Originally Posted by jpatokal
Linda's boats are fast, no-frills (think airline seating with a bit more leg room) and subject to weather conditions.
I do not recommend this option, if you're at all prone to travel sickness! By far one of the most uncomfortable experiences of my life
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
One of my favourite places is the Ateljee Bar at the top of Hotel Torni. Drinks are not cheep (had the most expensive beer of my life there), but the view is definitely worth it. Especially at sunset. Be sure not to miss the restrooms of the bar (panoramic windows, view from the ladies room is a little better than from the men's room).
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, DL Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks, helosc, for affirming my plan is feasible.

And thanks, jpatokal, for the alternate recommendation. Speed and comfort for less money! That's made of win .
Old Jun 18, 2015, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Flip42
One of my favourite places is the Ateljee Bar at the top of Hotel Torni. Drinks are not cheep (had the most expensive beer of my life there), but the view is definitely worth it. Especially at sunset. Be sure not to miss the restrooms of the bar (panoramic windows, view from the ladies room is a little better than from the men's room).
How have I missed this? I've been to Helsinki quite a few times and never get bored. It's small, but very lively for someone like me who likes to walk a lot, lounge in parks, and drink with the Finns in the evening.

I love the Salutorget. If you are in to architecture and design, it's a beautiful space. I love the posh bar area with sofas and the beautiful stained glass.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
I've been doing more research and will likely spend 2 nights in Tallinn and 4 in Helsinki. Seems my Sept. trip just misses the end of the kayak tour season but will probably take a bike tour or simply rent a bike and tour around myself for a day.

And thanks for the tip about the Ateljee Bar as would enjoy a sunset view from the bar despite the dizzying heights of the beer prices.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:19 pm
THO

Programs: BA Gold
If you like walking/bike tours and want to see more than just the city centre, I'd recommend you to check out these neighborhoods:

* Töölö (just next to city centre): the little streets behind the Temppeliaukio Church are quite pretty. You should atleast walk up to the Töölöntori, which is the Töölö's local market square. Once you get to the square, there are two good lunch options: Mamma Rosa (more upmarket, also has nice dinner) and Cafe Tin Tin Tango (a sort of bohemian cafe with good breakfast & lunch). For a treaditional Töölö dinner, head to Elite. Töölö is best explored on foot.

* Lauttasaari (~2 km West from the city centre): nice mostly residential island which is perfect for a bike tour. Most of the island was built in the 50s and it is very pretty. For food, I'd recommend either Blue Peter (a local sailing club) or Casa Mare (easygoing neighborhood restaurant). Persilja is also nice if there's good weather to sit outside.

* Kallio (~3 km North from the city centre): more... err... lively part of the city. Lots of bars and young people -- and also the occasional drug addict. If you go to Kallio, you should definitely visit the Ravintola Cella, which is the definitive classic restaurant there. Kallio is best explored on foot.

* Munkkiniemi (~6 km North West from the city centre): another old, upscale residential neighborhood perfect for a bike tour. Also the ride there through Töölö and Meilahti (remember to keep close to the sea!) is very nice. For a quintissential Munkkiniemi dining experience head to Ravintola Solna.

There are many other interesting places if you are interested in architecture and/or urban design: Vuosaari, Ruoholahti, Jätkäsaari, Otaniemi (in Espoo), Alppila etc.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Thanks! I found Bicyclean Helsinki for bike rentals so will more than likely be sightseeing with wheels for at least 1 if not 2 days. Or take a bike tour and then ride on my own one day.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I have a few choices on how I allocate my time for a trip late next May.

I"m starting in St. Petersburg, and going to Tallinn, then Helsinki, then Copenhagen.

I can either spend 3 nights in Tallinn and 2 in Helsinki or vice versa.
I can fly HEL-CPH early in the day or late in the day.

I'm leaning towards 3 nights in Tallinn since the first day arrival might be late if I have to take a train to HEL and then ferry (will consider a non-stop flight on Estonia Airlines).

Based on some comments in this thread, I'm thinking I might want the early flight HEL-CPH given how much more there is to do there (I'm there 4 nights).

Anyone think I'm cutting HEL short relative to the other two? (Will be staying at Raddisson Blus where available, Park Inn in Tallinn).
Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I'm not sure what you mean by taking the train to HEL - from where? From St Pete it's an option, but not from Tallinn. And where would you fly with Estonian to/fro? They don't fly to HEL, but probably do to LED.

Tallinn also has a Radisson Blu - a nice one, too.

I really cannot comment on the number of days - you can easily spend 3-4 days at each destination, so it's "hard" choices Enjoy your Baltic trip!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
Having just returned from Helsinki, I can weigh in a few things. 3 nights seemed like just enough to do the touristy things without feeling too rushed.

I booked at guided walking tour of Suomenlinna Fortress that gave me an interesting perspective. Rock Church, Chapel of Silence and the Sobelius Monument were just things to check out briefly (i.e. 5 minutes to loot around and take photos) then to tick off the list. A few other museums were interesting...Museum of Design for example. Market Square was pleasant to wander around.

Not enough time to take the ferry to Tallinn so I can't comment. City center is compact and public transit is efficient. I stayed at Scandic Marski with a great prepaid rate. Rooms are adequate and buffet breakfast is large and varied.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards Gold, Club Carlson, Starwood Gold, AAdvantage
We have an 8 hour layover in December on the way to Hong Kong. We will head into the city for a few hours and walk around. Are there any good Christmas markets worth visiting? Any good suggestions for lunch?
Old Oct 31, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by THO
If you like walking/bike tours and want to see more than just the city centre, I'd recommend you to check out these neighborhoods:

* Kallio (~3 km North from the city centre): more... err... lively part of the city. Lots of bars and young people -- and also the occasional drug addict. If you go to Kallio, you should definitely visit the Ravintola Cella, which is the definitive classic restaurant there. Kallio is best explored on foot.
We rented a small flat in Kallio a few months ago (early June) thru AirBnB and it was just right. The description of "lively" is very accurate. We still felt very safe, though. There are several bars, and a bit of a red light district, but it wasn't overly obnoxious.

We did try the Cella restaurant, it was good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.