Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Where to stay for a quick trip through Stockholm?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to stay for a quick trip through Stockholm?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:19 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I wouldn't change hotels for such a short stay. Changing hotels is a time consuming business.

edit : sorry, forgot that it was two separate stays so my point is not valid.

If you would really like to stay in the Hilton, do so for both nights.
It is two very short metro stops from the central station and the hotel is very, very close to the metrostop (Slussen).
And as mentioned earlier, the Hilton is very convenient for sightseeing, being so close to Old Town and the ferry.

If you are going to Skansen from the Hilton, the easiest (and nicest way) is to take the ferry at Slussen.
http://www.waxholmsbolaget.se/visito...rry-terminals/

Last edited by helosc; Apr 13, 2015 at 8:00 am
Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by whimsey21
To maximize my time, it sounds like I should stay at one of the properties near the train station, at least for my arrival night (I could potentially split the difference and stay at the hilton on my departure night, and take a taxi to the airport). I'll trouble you with a few follow up questions:
A) Near the airport, I'm inclined to stay at one of the Radissons (where I have cc gold status) or the Sheraton (I value SPG points). I saw the rec for the Royal Viking in this thread, and also saw that the Waterfront gets good reviews online. Any reason other than proximity for one over the other?
B) from the train station area, what is my fastest way to get to Skansen and the Vasa museum (2 different trips) in the afternoon? I see metro/bus and ferry options but can't tell which will be better.
C) I've been assuming Arlanda Express is the best way to/from the airport. Other than cost, are there other benefits over taking a taxi?
Thanks much for all your help- I really appreciate it.
I suggest using the same property for each of your one-night stays, if only because you don't need to get re-oriented each trip for the hotel-related aspects.

Speed and reliability of Arlanda Express over taxi is the reason I use the Arlanda Express when I use it and need speed and reliability to get to the airport.

For Central Station to the Vasa and Skansen area, a taxi is going to be pretty fast as long as you get a taxi on the side of the road going south with the taxi headed south. While you could use public mass transit, taking the taxi from the central station area is what I would do when time is short -- unless the objective is to get familiar with the public transit facilities/use or really scrounging for pennies.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
From central Stockholm to the Vasa museum, may I suggest the tram.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tsastor
From central Stockholm to the Vasa museum, may I suggest the tram.
It works well, you get a good ride to see better things on the way, and you can get on it within a walk of about 5-10 minutes -- from Central Station.

It's ordinarily not the fastest way to get to Skansen and the Vasa museum from Stockholm C, but it indeed is taken by lots of tourists since around the time of the Swedish crown princess's wedding in 2010.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Great- thanks everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.