Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Iceland & Sweden (Stockholm) in fall + daytrips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iceland & Sweden (Stockholm) in fall + daytrips?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Question Iceland & Sweden (Stockholm) in fall + daytrips?

Greetings all!

so I've pretty much decided that it's about time I FINALLY get to Sweden and Iceland.

So my question is, how's the weather in mid Oct? From what I can tell both are in the single digits, which is fine by me since I'll just wear my winter clothing, but what I'm curious is if it's rainy a la Ireland as well?

Also can anyone recommend some potential day trips out of Stockholm?
I know that going to Helsinki is an option, but with only 3-4 days in Stockholm I think I'd rather stick around Sweden.

Lastly, is food really as bad as I hear it is in both Stockholm and Reykjavik? I mean I heard similar things about food in London and Tokyo and was able to find plenty of cheap eats in both cases.
I'm not looking or expecting fine dinning at rock bottom prices, but am curious if there are any equivalents to say LIDL, Marks & Spencer or Tesco where one can run in and grab some stuff for a decent lunch or breakfast or simply evening snack.

Since it's certainly just going to be myself travelling (early 30's) it'll be easy to make/arrange things on the fly.

I'm also open to any other suggestions anyone may have.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:07 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
About food in Sweden : if you don't want fine dining, it is of course possible to eat cheaply in Sweden.

On weekdays most restaurants have very good lunch deals - so simply eat your main meal at lunch.

In supermarkets and convenience stores you can buy salads and sandwiches to take away.

Asian restaurants are often reasonably cheap.

Kebab restauarants are cheap.

Sweden has their very own burger chain, MAX :
http://www.maxburgers.com
I like their burgers.

Jensens břfhus is a Danish chain with restaurants in Sweden as well.
http://www.jensens.se/meny.htm
The link is in Swedish but look at the part of the menu that says 'LunchErbjudande varje dag till kl. 16' ( Lunch deals every day until 4 pm ) and you get an idea of what they offer and the prices.
It costs much more in the evening.

Don't forget the Saluhaller (indoor food markets), not all cheap but very nice to take a look at :
http://www.slowtravelstockholm.com/2...-market-halls/
The fanciest being Östermalm saluhal :
http://www.ostermalmshallen.se/en/

An obvious day trip from Stockholm would be Uppsala, just half hour north on the train.
http://www.destinationuppsala.se/en/
http://wikitravel.org/wiki/en/index....e_view_desktop

Last edited by helosc; Mar 24, 2015 at 2:24 am
Old Mar 24, 2015, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by helosc
About food in Sweden : if you don't want fine dining, it is of course possible to eat cheaply in Sweden.

On weekdays most restaurants have very good lunch deals - so simply eat your main meal at lunch.

In supermarkets and convenience stores you can buy salads and sandwiches to take away.

Asian restaurants are often reasonably cheap.

Kebab restauarants are cheap.

Sweden has their very own burger chain, MAX :
http://www.maxburgers.com
I like their burgers.

Jensens břfhus is a Danish chain with restaurants in Sweden as well.
http://www.jensens.se/meny.htm
The link is in Swedish but look at the part of the menu that says 'LunchErbjudande varje dag till kl. 16' ( Lunch deals every day until 4 pm ) and you get an idea of what they offer and the prices.
It costs much more in the evening.

Don't forget the Saluhaller (indoor food markets), not all cheap but very nice to take a look at :
http://www.slowtravelstockholm.com/2...-market-halls/
The fanciest being Östermalm saluhal :
http://www.ostermalmshallen.se/en/

An obvious day trip from Stockholm would be Uppsala, just half hour north on the train.
http://www.destinationuppsala.se/en/
http://wikitravel.org/wiki/en/index....e_view_desktop
Thanks for the info.
Is it wet fall though or just cool and dry?

I do plan on having one decent meal (midrange) so splurging a bit once or twice isn't too bad for me.

Lastly, I guess it's safe to say that Sweden is like most of Europe in that lunch is generally cheaper than supper? So it's best to have a big meal at lunch time than supper, correct?
Also does this apply to Iceland as well?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Yes a lunch deal in Sweden is cheaper than dinner.

Weather in Scandinavia is unpredictable and changeable - no dry season and no wet season as such (don't know about weather in Iceland).

See link for information about Stockholm :
https://weatherspark.com/averages/28...ockholm-Sweden

And Iceland :
https://weatherspark.com/averages/27...Region-Iceland
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
I got to Iceland 6-8 times per year. Good choice to finally get there.

Weather in Iceland is cold, but not freezing. October is a great time to go. You get a chance at the Northern Lights, and also, many of the really amazing winter tours from the quality tour companies are in full swing.

Food in REK is amazing. Expensive, yes, but quality is top notch. There are a few markets you can find a quick an easy bite at. I would highly recommend one night that you do a proper dinner and try the Icelandic lamb or Arctic Char (fish), both are amazing.

Have fun.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
I got to Iceland 6-8 times per year. Good choice to finally get there.

Weather in Iceland is cold, but not freezing. October is a great time to go. You get a chance at the Northern Lights, and also, many of the really amazing winter tours from the quality tour companies are in full swing.

Food in REK is amazing. Expensive, yes, but quality is top notch. There are a few markets you can find a quick an easy bite at. I would highly recommend one night that you do a proper dinner and try the Icelandic lamb or Arctic Char (fish), both are amazing.

Have fun.
Thanks for the info.
Living in Canada I'm not too worried about it being cold, more so if it's wet or not.

Any specific markets you can recommend?

Big thanks for Arctic char recommendation. I've had it before and it's a really good fish. I'd try it as my big "meal".
Also any places you can recommend that won't break the bank?
While I can appreciate a good meal, I'm not really one that has to have michellin star dining.

Thanks again!

Also open to any "must have's" that one would recommend.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:00 am

Programs: BA GfL
When in Rome... do as Icelanders do. Expect wind, rain or clouds and rejoice when it turns out to be a bright and sunny day. Don't be surprised to see young men bravely wear t-shirts even when it's 12 C outside and sunny.

Also, if you want to save money, stay at self-service apartments so you can prepare most meals (breakfast or lunch) at home. There are a number of 24-hour grocery markets where you can buy food, etc. If you're a little adventurous, you can find whale meat in restaurants (and grocery stores). If you'd rather prefer to eat it in a restaurant, I'd recommend 3 (Thrir) Frakkar.

BTW, forget Blue Lagoon. Locals don't go there; instead go to one of the thermally heated municipal pools. There are several to choose from in the Reykjavik area.

Stockholm temps in mid-October can swing from 8 to 16 degrees.

Last edited by Peregrine415; Mar 27, 2015 at 6:28 pm
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC, SAS EBS, Miles&More
Having lived in Stockholm on and off for ten years my main advice to visitors is avoid November. This is when there seems to be the greatest chance of it being dark, wet and cold without any of the autumn benefits of sun and the crisp winter days with snow and frozen lakes. In mid-October there is still a chance of yellow and red leaves on the trees and sunshine. I remember one October where we had some impressive snowfall over a 24 hour period but it melted quickly. Tourism wise some things are a bit limited at that time of year e.g. boats to the archipelago.

I can't add much to the food suggestions. Pizza is usually cheap although the quality varies as some restaurants are aimed at those wanting to drink 'cheap' strong beer. Supermarkets sell microwave meals if you have access to one where you are staying.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Peregrine415
BTW, forget Blue Lagoon. Locals don't go there; instead go to one of the thermally heated municipal pools. There are several to choose from in the Reykjavik area.
100% disagree.

Blue Lagoon is really really well done. Yes, it is very "touristy" (whatever that means) but it is absolutely worth it to experience it once.

The local city pools are nice, but you dont get the landscape views you get at the BL.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:32 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
100% disagree.

Blue Lagoon is really really well done. Yes, it is very "touristy" (whatever that means) but it is absolutely worth it to experience it once.

The local city pools are nice, but you dont get the landscape views you get at the BL.
Try the Myvatn Nature Baths. Best of both worlds. Natural pool, a la Blue Lagoon (but real, not "built"), with great views.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Try the Myvatn Nature Baths. Best of both worlds. Natural pool, a la Blue Lagoon (but real, not "built"), with great views.
Yes to this. Myvatn nature baths are far and away the best, however, if you are in Reykjavik, they are too far unless you want to fly to the north and then drive a few additional hours.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by Peregrine415
When in Rome... do as Icelanders do. Expect wind, rain or clouds and rejoice when it turns out to be a bright and sunny day. Don't be surprised to see young men bravely wear t-shirts even when it's 12 C outside and sunny.

Also, if you want to save money, stay at self-service apartments so you can prepare most meals (breakfast or lunch) at home. There are a number of 24-hour grocery markets where you can buy food, etc. If you're a little adventurous, you can find whale meat in restaurants (and grocery stores). If you'd rather prefer to eat it in a restaurant, I'd recommend 3 (Thrir) Frakkar.

Stockholm temps in mid-October can swing from 8 to 16 degrees.
Thanks for the tips.
I see people here in shorts and tshirts and sandals when it's barely 0 degrees... Im not that crazy! Even though I'm used to it, I still have the Spanish blood in me!
As for whale meat, that's something I'm passing on. I have my limits and eating such a large animal fully knowing how long it takes to mature and how few there are left in the wild plays on my conscious. Others may be ok with trying it, but I'm not going down that path. And yes I realize I'm hypocritical since I'm not a vegetarian.
I'll check out to see what 3 has and go from there.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Originally Posted by koshka
Having lived in Stockholm on and off for ten years my main advice to visitors is avoid November. This is when there seems to be the greatest chance of it being dark, wet and cold without any of the autumn benefits of sun and the crisp winter days with snow and frozen lakes. In mid-October there is still a chance of yellow and red leaves on the trees and sunshine. I remember one October where we had some impressive snowfall over a 24 hour period but it melted quickly. Tourism wise some things are a bit limited at that time of year e.g. boats to the archipelago.

I can't add much to the food suggestions. Pizza is usually cheap although the quality varies as some restaurants are aimed at those wanting to drink 'cheap' strong beer. Supermarkets sell microwave meals if you have access to one where you are staying.
I'd be going in Mid Oct in order to get an extra day off because of Canadian Thanksgiving. I try to travel when there's a holiday in order to get the extra day off.
100% disagree.

Now I realize that most people are against the blue lagoon, but my plan was to go there before coming back on the plane. I've seen plenty of "deals/packages" where they drop you off at the lagoon and then from there you go right to the airport which was my plan.
I'm presuming there are dryers (even hand dryers) to dry off my swimming trunks? It'll be a terrible smell if I have to wait to get back to dry them off.... lol

Another thing I'm thinking is if I should stay an extra day and come back on Saturday as opposed to Friday. While I'll be travelling alone, I'm not sure how easy it'll be to meet others since I generally don't go on tours but I make make an exception with Iceland. I mean is it generally easy to meet people and thus would be more likely to have a night out on Friday and come back on Sat or pack it in and come back on Friday? Part of me wants to stay since I had the scenario where I started to meet people that wanted to have a good time the day I was leaving Ibiza, but on most of my other trips, I don't really meet people short of "hi. where are you from?"
I likely wouldn't be alone in Sweden (some of my European based friends are considering meeting up in Stockholm) so it would just be in Iceland.

As for the farther hot springs, since I'll likely only be in Iceland 4 days tops, if I leave the capital (which I can't spell) it means less time looking around there.
If I leave my plan is to do it on a day tour since I'd rather not do driving. But if there is a "must do" I'm open to it...

Lastly, has anyone been here: http://www.whalesoficeland.is/en/
Looks cool, albeit pricey and it just opened...
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
I'm presuming there are dryers (even hand dryers) to dry off my swimming trunks? It'll be a terrible smell if I have to wait to get back to dry them off.... lol

Another thing I'm thinking is if I should stay an extra day and come back on Saturday as opposed to Friday. While I'll be travelling alone, I'm not sure how easy it'll be to meet others since I generally don't go on tours but I make make an exception with Iceland.

Lastly, has anyone been here: http://www.whalesoficeland.is/en/
Looks cool, albeit pricey and it just opened...
To answer some of your questions:

The BL has great facilities - showers, towels, dryers, and plastic bags for your swimsuit. Nothing to worry there.

As for staying an extra day, that is really up to you. It is very easy to meet people on tours, and still easy to meet people out, especially this time of year when more tourists are around. Icelanders are quite friendly and speak English well.

Lastly, I was at the whale museum two weeks ago. I think it is a very unique and interesting exhibit. The life size whales are really really well done and look authentic. The major complaint I hear is that, since the museum is really just this giant room/warehouse, people feel like there is just one exhibit and nothing else. If there were dividers between the room that created a maze, it might feel more like a "museum" etc. Overall, you can do the exhibit in 30-60min looking at everything.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:11 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Hairdryers, yes. Swimsuit dryers, not as of 12 months ago when I was last there. Plenty of plastic bags to put your wet things in. We just wore our oldest and most worn suits and threw them out there. Helped with fitting gifts into our carryons for the flight home!
Old Apr 4, 2015, 9:18 am
Original Poster

To answer some of your questions:

The BL has great facilities - showers, towels, dryers, and plastic bags for your swimsuit. Nothing to worry there.

As for staying an extra day, that is really up to you. It is very easy to meet people on tours, and still easy to meet people out, especially this time of year when more tourists are around. Icelanders are quite friendly and speak English well.

Lastly, I was at the whale museum two weeks ago. I think it is a very unique and interesting exhibit. The life size whales are really really well done and look authentic. The major complaint I hear is that, since the museum is really just this giant room/warehouse, people feel like there is just one exhibit and nothing else. If there were dividers between the room that created a maze, it might feel more like a "museum" etc. Overall, you can do the exhibit in 30-60min looking at everything.
Thanks for the BL tips.
A hand dryer would be more than enough until I got home. I wasn't expecting a full blown clothing dryer or anything of sorts, but would like to avoid having a stink bomb of sorts when I got home and opened my luggage.

Thanks for the tip on the whale museum. I'll pass on it and maybe go do a whale tour or something when I go to Halifax next month.

If I do an extra day it would mean doing an extra day in London which isn't a bad thing by any stretch as it could allow me to finally do a day trip to Bath or Cambridge.
I guess I'll do a budget and see how much of a difference it makes.
Hairdryers, yes. Swimsuit dryers, not as of 12 months ago when I was last there. Plenty of plastic bags to put your wet things in. We just wore our oldest and most worn suits and threw them out there. Helped with fitting gifts into our carryons for the flight home!
Thanks but I only have 1 swimsuit! Even though I only use it once every 4 years, I'd rather not toss it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.