Search

JFK-HEL-OSL-BGO Security in OSL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, United Gold
JFK-HEL-OSL-BGO Security in OSL

Hi,

This May I'll be traveling JFK-HEL-OSL-BGO . I am assuming I go through passport control in HEL, but when I get to OSL will I have to got through security again ? I figure I'll have to go through customs there, but I don't know about another security checkpoint as I make my way to the gate for the BGO leg.

The main reason I ask is that my flight from OSL to BGO (Bergen) is on Norwegian, and they offer a $15 upgrade for expedited security. I don't know if this would actually help me or not. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:04 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You will go through immigration in HEL, as Finland and Norway are both in the Schengen zone. Arriving from the US, you don't need to go through security as there's a special exemption.

HEL-OSL will be like a domestic flight from an immigration point of view but, as Norway is outside the EU, is like an international flight from a customs point of view.

So, in OSL, there will be no immigration, but you have to collect your luggage and physically take it through customs. You then go landside, head upstairs and drop your luggage at the general check-in desks, and go through security, as if you were departing from Oslo. This is standard procedure for all connections to domestic flights in Norway, even on the same airline. FWIW, security at OSL has always been pretty painless for me, so I wouldn't pay extra unless it was a holiday period and a tight connection.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, United Gold
Originally Posted by stut
You will go through immigration in HEL, as Finland and Norway are both in the Schengen zone. Arriving from the US, you don't need to go through security as there's a special exemption.

HEL-OSL will be like a domestic flight from an immigration point of view but, as Norway is outside the EU, is like an international flight from a customs point of view.

So, in OSL, there will be no immigration, but you have to collect your luggage and physically take it through customs. You then go landside, head upstairs and drop your luggage at the general check-in desks, and go through security, as if you were departing from Oslo. This is standard procedure for all connections to domestic flights in Norway, even on the same airline. FWIW, security at OSL has always been pretty painless for me, so I wouldn't pay extra unless it was a holiday period and a tight connection.
Thank you!
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
When I went through Oslo security, it was the second most polite and painless security screening after the JAL F security in NRT! It's very easy and lacking in stress. I can't see how Fast Track would have expedited me at all.

Your mileage might vary at peak times, I was there in the middle of a Sunday in February.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.