Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finland and Estonia: Advice Requested

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Finland and Estonia: Advice Requested

We will be swinging back to the States from Australia via Finland and Estonia (Tallinn), primarily the former. The main purpose is to catch, we're hoping, some beautiful sights of the Northern Lights.

Thanks to a rec in another thread from FlyerEC, we already have the Arctic Circle/Lapland portion of Finland sorted with a stay at the (non-luxurious) Hotel Nellim.

But, we will have a few nights to spend in both Helsinki and Tallinn, and would love some recs on places to stay, along with any recommended sites/experiences and particularly places to eat (even just cafes/bakeries).

From perusing other, older threads it looks like maybe the Kamp in Helsinki. Any Pros/Cons, or other thoughts? Any recs for other place (perhaps The Haven, which is SLH?).

In Tallinn, I see there's the SLH Telegraaf (frontrunner at the moment), R&C Three Sisters, and (formerly Virtuoso) Schlossle (which does not seem appealing to me).

Thanks for the help!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:26 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As you are not specifically asking about Luxury Hotels, I believe that your thread is more suitable for the Europe (Nordic Countries) Forum.
Please follow there.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
In Helsinki I enjoyed open sandwiches with fish or seafood salad from the indoors food marked in the harbour.
Lots of choices of food and cakes from the different shops and a very enjoyable experience to look at all the food stuff.
http://vanhakauppahalli.fi/en/
Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Originally Posted by aa213bb
We will be swinging back to the States from Australia via Finland and Estonia (Tallinn), primarily the former. The main purpose is to catch, we're hoping, some beautiful sights of the Northern Lights.

Thanks to a rec in another thread from FlyerEC, we already have the Arctic Circle/Lapland portion of Finland sorted with a stay at the (non-luxurious) Hotel Nellim.

But, we will have a few nights to spend in both Helsinki and Tallinn, and would love some recs on places to stay, along with any recommended sites/experiences and particularly places to eat (even just cafes/bakeries).

From perusing other, older threads it looks like maybe the Kamp in Helsinki. Any Pros/Cons, or other thoughts? Any recs for other place (perhaps The Haven, which is SLH?).

In Tallinn, I see there's the SLH Telegraaf (frontrunner at the moment), R&C Three Sisters, and (formerly Virtuoso) Schlossle (which does not seem appealing to me).

Thanks for the help!
You can hardly go wrong with Kämp and Telegraaf. Telegraaf's Russian restaurant has been selected the best restaurant in Tallinn several times and it is a worthy choice for dinner. Bocca and Ö are other places worth trying in Tallinn.

Helsinki has several Michelin starred restaurant (alas, no more 2* places aprés Chez Dominique) that are a good value, particularly for lunch. Farang (www.farang.fi) has garnered a Bib Gourmand and features innovative Asian fusion fare.

Cheers,
T.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: BA GfL
If you're staying at Kämp, you won't have problems finding a place to eat--there are several good restaurants along Norra Esplanaden. And there's Fazer Café to the left of (as your exit) Kämp hotel. Kämp and its sister hotel next door, Glo Kluuvi, also have excellent restaurants. And Stockmann (department store) has a deli and bakery on the ground floor. Restaurants, including those in hotels, are closed on Sunday nights.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for these recs.

Seems Kamp is the way to go, and I see there are a few highly rated restos in Helsinki. Also, I found this article from the WaPo, which has proven a bit helpful when it comes to meals: http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...f8f_story.html

Would love recs for anything else you can think of, as well as thoughts on "Must Dos" while in each city.

We'll definitely be visiting the Christmas Markets in both.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:45 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
In Helsinki also Restaurant Juuri ("Root", http://juuri.fi/en/) is a very good choice. Traditional ingredients with a twist, but not the least bit gimmicky.

What kind of activities are you looking for? Art/museums? Ice skating?

In Tallinn I'd recommend eating at Dominic. Good food and service. Not the cheapest place in Tallinn, but easily worth it.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Peregrine415
If you're staying at Kämp, you won't have problems finding a place to eat--there are several good restaurants along Norra Esplanaden.
Hmmm. I would like to respectfully disagree here. The only restaurant on Pohjoisesplanadi (Norra Esplanaden) that I can think of that I would call "good" is Sasso. The rest, in my opinion, are mediocre at best.

Cheers,
T.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SPBanker
What kind of activities are you looking for? Art/museums? Ice skating?

In Tallinn I'd recommend eating at Dominic. Good food and service. Not the cheapest place in Tallinn, but easily worth it.
Thanks for the Tallinn rec.

I wish I could be more definitive in answering your first question. We're fine not ice-skating, and in Tallinn I think we'll visit that KGB "museum" - seems neat and not something that would take loads of time.

In general, we're big food people. So that's usually Priority #1 (and #2 & #3 ). We're also interested in any cool bars/beer shops (think Mikkeller & Friends in CPH). Liberty & Death, maybe?

Also, Cinnamon Rolls/Korvapuusti - I'm obsessed with these, and am enthralled to find out the Finnish love for them. Any recs for the few best in the city?

Oh, and coffee!!! Love, love, love coffee, so Cafe recs are greatly appreciated (Kuuma?)

Too, I greatly enjoy architecture & design (especially modern/contemporary), and love strolling about and photographing it.

We'll probably stroll by the two cathedrals and Rock Church in HEL, the Music Center, and check out the Design Museum.

Maybe an arts walk in Arabia (http://www.visithelsinki.fi/sites/vi...a2_updated.pdf)?

I'm game for pretty much anything you all can think up - so if you have anything at all, please share.

And let me say, thanks so much for all the advice you've all already given.

Last edited by aa213bb; Dec 9, 2014 at 12:47 am
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
If you're not museum-averse, in Tallinn the Kumu art museum in Kadriorg Park is an interesting modern building as well as a surprisingly interesting (I thought) museum.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
If you're not museum-averse, in Tallinn the Kumu art museum in Kadriorg Park is an interesting modern building as well as a surprisingly interesting (I thought) museum.
No, not averse at all. That sounds interesting. Thank you.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by aa213bb
Also, Cinnamon Rolls/Korvapuusti - I'm obsessed with these, and am enthralled to find out the Finnish love for them. Any recs for the few best in the city?
Near the Kämp, the answer is obvious:
Café Esplanad, Pohjoisesplanadi 37

One roll is enough to feed a family for a day.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
This is a very good suggestion. Kumu has an interesting permanent collection, good exhibitions, and the building alone is worth a visit.

KUMU II by monojussi, on Flickr.

Cheers,
T.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
For beer I recommend http://www.taivaanranta.com/Fi/Helsinki.aspx owned by the Teerenpeli microbrewery and distillery. It is right near Stockmann. They have a proper restaurant and a bar/lounge. I found the food to be very good.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Thank you all so much!

We're sitting in the lounge in OSL awaiting our onward flights to HEL and then IVL. It's been a knackering trip up from Australia, but the excitement is enough to keep us going.

Fingers crossed we'll be greeted this evening by an amazing display of the Northern Lights.

And I know we will have a fantastic time in both Tallinn and Helsinki because of your help.

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.