Reload this Page >

Finland and Estonia: Advice Requested

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finland and Estonia: Advice Requested

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Originally Posted by aa213bb
Thank you all so much!

We're sitting in the lounge in OSL awaiting our onward flights to HEL and then IVL. It's been a knackering trip up from Australia, but the excitement is enough to keep us going.

Fingers crossed we'll be greeted this evening by an amazing display of the Northern Lights.

And I know we will have a fantastic time in both Tallinn and Helsinki because of your help.

Thanks again!
In Helsinki, do visit The American Bar on the 12th floor of Hotel Torni. Gorgeous 360° views. The ladies' toilet is legendary.

Cheers,
T.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
On the same theme,I will be in Helsinki in March for a weekend,does anyone know of a good bar for a nice drink,on a Sunday lunchtime?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by liamvad
On the same theme,I will be in Helsinki in March for a weekend,does anyone know of a good bar for a nice drink,on a Sunday lunchtime?
Most of the good bars are not open during lunchtime. The only one that quickly comes to mind is Bar Kämp at Hotel Kämp. The American Bar at Torni opens at 16:00 as does Bar Socis at Seurahuone. The highly recommended cocktail Lounge A21 opens at 19:00.

Cheers,
T.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Originally Posted by Thalassa
Most of the good bars are not open during lunchtime. The only one that quickly comes to mind is Bar Kämp at Hotel Kämp. The American Bar at Torni opens at 16:00 as does Bar Socis at Seurahuone. The highly recommended cocktail Lounge A21 opens at 19:00.

Cheers,
T.
Hi,thank-you for the reply,will be leaving Helsinki for the airport at 4pm,so was looking for somewhere to have a drink/meal.......will just walk around until I find one!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Just wanted to let everyone know, again, thank you for all of your help.

We had a fantastic time. So absolutely amazing.

Nellim, in Lapland, is just a wonderful base from which to look for the Northern Lights (we saw them!), as well as enjoy many winter activities - we particularly loved dog-sledding.

We also loved exploring Helsinki and Tallinn, and really enjoyed our meals at the following restaurants:

In Tallinn:
Tchaikowsky (in the Telegraaf)
Ö

In Helsinki:
Ask
Jurri
Chef & Sommelier

In particular, Ask was phenomenal.

We, unfortunately, did not make it to Kumu in Tallinn - time just ran out - but thoroughly enjoyed both the Design and Architecture Museums in Helsinki, as well as the KGB museum in the Hotel (can't remember the name).

Also highly recommend taking a stroll along Helsinki's "Central Park", as there are several beautiful buildings along the path.

And the Design District! Some really fantastic shopping to be done there.

Lastly, though there was unfortunately no snow, the Tallinn Jül Market is adorable, and we were very surprised by how much we enjoyed the one in the main square of Helsinki.

Thanks again everyone!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Just wanted to let everyone know, again, thank you for all of your help.

We had a fantastic time. So absolutely amazing.

Nellim, in Lapland, is just a wonderful base from which to look for the Northern Lights (we saw them!), as well as enjoy many winter activities - we particularly loved dog-sledding.

We also loved exploring Helsinki and Tallinn, and really enjoyed our meals at the following restaurants:

In Tallinn:
Tchaikowsky (in the Telegraaf)
Ö

In Helsinki:
Ask
Jurri
Chef & Sommelier

In particular, Ask was phenomenal.

We, unfortunately, did not make it to Kumu in Tallinn - time just ran out - but thoroughly enjoyed both the Design and Architecture Museums in Helsinki, as well as the KGB museum in the Hotel (can't remember the name).

Also highly recommend taking a stroll along Helsinki's "Central Park", as there are several beautiful buildings along the path.

And the Design District! Some really fantastic shopping to be done there.

Lastly, though there was unfortunately no snow, the Tallinn Jül Market is adorable, and we were very surprised by how much we enjoyed the one in the main square of Helsinki.

Thanks again everyone!
Glad you enjoyed the trip.

There is a slight but delightful typo in your message: You probably meant Restaurant Juuri (Root). Jurri is a word for the state of being thoroughly and blissfully drunk.

Cheers,
T.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thalassa
Glad you enjoyed the trip.

There is a slight but delightful typo in your message: You probably meant Restaurant Juuri (Root). Jurri is a word for the state of being thoroughly and blissfully drunk.

Cheers,
T.
Ha! I'm happy to leave that typo.

I did indeed mean Juuri, though with the wine pairings we had with all of our meals, "Jurri" is just the most perfect word.

Glad I accidentally stumbled onto it, and thanks for helping me learn something new!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.