Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Iceland and volcano issues, tours

telegraph.co.uk: Iceland offers world's first tour inside a volcano
Looks cool.

The interior of Thrihnukagigur, which has been dormant for around 4,000 years, will be opened to ordinary travellers for six weeks this summer, from June 15 to July 31.

The volcano is a 30-minute drive from Reykjavik, the Icelandic capital. Visitors must then embark on a short 40-minute hike across a lava field to reach the volcano, before descending 120 metres to the bottom of the crater in an open cable lift. They will be able to spend around an hour inside the volcano in the company of a team of expert guides.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 19, 2015 at 8:53 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG Gold, HH Diamond
Earthquake and volcano eruption in iceland?

Does anybody advise against canceling flights to Iceland due to the increased seismic activity?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:46 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
No.

This volcano is further away from KEF (and Reykjavik) than the one that fouled airflight 4 years ago, and it's only a warning at this point in time. It could blow today, it could blow in 10 years, or it could sit there another hundred years.

Funny, there was a similar warning about Katla, a much bigger volcano, a couple years ago, and it didn't blow and no one canceled travel over that one.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I'm keeping an eye out, but not concerned at this point. I travel to ARN early September. When the airlines start issuing waivers, that's the time to think hard.. Safe Travels
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:20 pm

Iceland's Bárđarbung Volcano

(apologies if this is in the wrong place)

Are there any FT members in Iceland at the moment? Is the volcano causing any issues with your travel plans or outdoor activities? Barring any health and safety concerns, it must be exciting to experience the presence of something like that, even if it's far from where most people are.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:26 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let's seek the help of the readers of the Nordic Countries forum. I'll move this thread to that forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:59 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
I peruse a few Iceland discussion groups and other than occasional issues with gasous smells (wind driven), the only issues have been for people who actually want to hike to or otherwise visit the specific location of the volcano. No traditional tourist destinations have been affected (other than by the smells).

If you want to do volcano tourism, it seems the only way is to defy the travel bans, or to flightsee over/near the volcano itself.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:53 pm

Not wanting to do volcano tourism, but I am in awe of nature and think it is spectacular.

I'm visiting Iceland this winter via MUC and was beginning to wonder if it might be prudent to book an alternate flight back in case it gets worse or if warnings not to go outside because of the SO2 if it got to the point where it made more sense to reschedule for another time. I am not too concerned yet and won't alter my plans, just considering a backup plan and interested in hearing from anyone there or planning to travel there soon. From what I can tell from reading Iceland Review and random online stuff, it's not a big deal for those in Reykjavik right now though no one can really tell how it will play out. Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:03 pm

If flights are down, flights are down, and you'll be stuck. This thing has been brewing for months and months now, without any issues, and the popular thought is it will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

That being said, no one really knows. They do know, however, that if they have similar conditions to the last volcano, they don't have to cancel flights nearly by the magnitude they did last time.

Reykjavik itself was not at all affected last time, and this volcano is tens of miles further from Reykjavik, so if Reykjavik is affected this time, well, all of Europe is going to be cloudy, cold, and sulfuric for a couple of years . . . so your getting to/from MUC is a pretty small issue!
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:23 pm

Don't think you are understanding my point OomE, if there are warnings not to go outside due to S02, then that might not be the optimal time to visit.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by besttravelgear
Don't think you are understanding my point OomE, if there are warnings not to go outside due to S02, then that might not be the optimal time to visit.
My recent readings have shown no warnings, as opposed to a couple of months ago when they were local and specific to at risk persons. I have yet to see anyone recommended not to visit any of the country due to the SO2 issues.

I suggest you check original sources on Iceland sites to determine for yourself the risk.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:58 am

Recent video of the volcano is here: http://icelandmag.com/article/stunni...new-lava-field
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
I have been to Iceland 4 times in the last 6 months. I love it.

The volcano poses zero issue for anything...this includes flights, tours, shopping, etc.

The activity is so far away from REK that you'll never see or hear or notice it.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 5:03 am

Bakkagerdi on the east coast is one of the towns that gets a good dose of gas if the wind conditions point that way. Besides that spot, and the scientists near the site on occasion, few others notice it.
If it becomes an ash eruption, the effects of flooding on the northern towns/roads may be more of an issue than air travel being blocked. See www.jonfr.com/volcano/ for some good updates.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 5:48 pm

The area has opened for tourism now, but be wary that there is a large amount of meltwater continuing to flow into the area. New lakes/rivers may cause access issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.