Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help deciding where to stay in Copenhagen

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by helosc
I would like to mention that staying at the Admiral does not make for an easy or fast transfer to Ballerup which I find should be taken into consideration as it is a work trip.
... and this is why I don't bother posting in the SAS community anymore...

If transfer is high on the priority list, there are lovely hotels in Glostrup as well.

Are we seriously trying to send a first-time visitor to Frederiksberg? Jesus Christ, it's like sending a first time visitor of London to South Ken. Nice, sure, but not really the highest on the list of a first-timer.

OP, do whatever you must. The Admiral is 5 mins walk from the metro. Best of luck!

Last edited by FlyerTalker01565; Nov 11, 2014 at 4:05 pm
Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
I just booked a couple of nights at the Hilton, even though it has the disadvantage of being outside the city. From what I gather, public transportation is easy from that location anyway.

Since OP is a HHonors member, he/she may want to take a look at the Hilton CPH's Points & Money option. It was too good to pass up for me!
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. Based on your comments, I'm sure that the Scandinavia isn't the right choice for me-- I'll take a look at all of the other properties that people mentioned to see which one sounds best.
Per the last comment from maize&blue- I did think about the Hilton, as I'd get benefits and points there, but thought that staying outside of the city and having to take the train back and forth might detract a bit from the experience of being in Copenhagen. It does sound like the train runs very often from the airport, but I figured between waiting time and train time, I'd be looking at ~20 minutes each way, each time I had to come or go from my hotel...
Someone please chime in if my assumption is incorrect on this.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Yes, the Hilton is not a good choice as you don't have much free time.
It also makes your transfer to Ballerup longer ( sorry if I am harping on about this point...).
It will eat up too much of your time off.
If you were only going as a tourist it wouldn't be a big problem spending 20 minutes ( a little less with the normal trains ) going into town in the morning and 20 minutes again going back in the evening.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
I went through the same debate about whether I wanted to deal with the commute, but seriously, check out the points & money rate. I'm pretty certain it's a pricing error, despite the fact that it's been this way for at least a year.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:13 am
Suspended

What did you end up doing? The suburban option or staying in the city?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by whimsey21
Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. Based on your comments, I'm sure that the Scandinavia isn't the right choice for me-- I'll take a look at all of the other properties that people mentioned to see which one sounds best.
Per the last comment from maize&blue- I did think about the Hilton, as I'd get benefits and points there, but thought that staying outside of the city and having to take the train back and forth might detract a bit from the experience of being in Copenhagen. It does sound like the train runs very often from the airport, but I figured between waiting time and train time, I'd be looking at ~20 minutes each way, each time I had to come or go from my hotel...
Someone please chime in if my assumption is incorrect on this.
Priceline NYOP or Hotwire 4* for the area around the central train station would ordinarily provide good savings and a hotel within 10 minutes walk of the station. The Marriott and Hotel Tivoli conference center hotel (not at Tivoli) frequently come up on the relative cheap for the area.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:29 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by CKCPH
... and this is why I don't bother posting in the SAS community anymore...
Really? You joined in September this year and have a total post count of 50. Certainly authorative!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CKCPH
What did you end up doing? The suburban option or staying in the city?
I ended up staying the city-- I decided that the extra commuting time was worth having the ability to walk around the city center at night, and get in whatever sightseeing and shopping I could manage. That worked out pretty well for me- I'd get back to the train station at the end of each work day and then head straight into the city center for a few hours until everything closed, then walk back to my hotel.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by whimsey21
I ended up staying the city-- I decided that the extra commuting time was worth having the ability to walk around the city center at night, and get in whatever sightseeing and shopping I could manage. That worked out pretty well for me- I'd get back to the train station at the end of each work day and then head straight into the city center for a few hours until everything closed, then walk back to my hotel.
Thank you for reporting back and I am glad that you found a solution that worked for you. I hope you managed to see all you wanted to see.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:52 am
Original Poster

I did manage to see many of the touristy sights in the city, and also had some very enjoyable meals. Thanks to everyone on this board for the advice- I'm hoping to return to Denmark (preferably sometime other than the winter) and see more of the country.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:31 am

Yes, do come when we have more daylight hours (peak summer, sunrise appr. 4.30 am and sunset appr. 10 pm); if you worked every day you will only have seen Copenhagen in the dark. And it'll be warmer too.....
Combine it with a stay in Stockholm and you'll have a really nice holiday.
(very nice Hilton in Stockholm with a nice lounge and very centrally located).

Be sure to post here if it ever comes up - we can help you with your itinery and practical details.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:11 am
Original Poster

I'll certainly do that. Thanks again to everyone for the advice.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 3:12 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Just a note to thank contributors to this thread. There's a lot of helpful content, especially in stut's post (15), that has been of value as I plan my first Copenhagen visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.