Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Best time to visit northern Norway

Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

I'm looking to visit Northern Norway some time in the future, most likely Trondheim and Tromso. What's the best time of year to visit? I'd probably be only stopping by for a few days and I prefer packing really light (carry on only). What's your thoughts on midnight sun vs aurora, etc?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I would certainly go in the period from spring to autumn and not in the winter in order to get most day light time.
See this wikipedia article about sunrise - sunset in Tromsø :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troms#Sunlight
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Either middle of summer, or middle of winter (if into snow, winter sports and beautiful views).
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA, NW
I never got as far north as Tromsø, but a former teaching colleague spent a year there and said that there was a big town party when the sun finally came back above the horizon.

I was in Trondheim and environs visiting relatives in July, and it never really got dark, only dusky. The sun was on the horizon at about 11:30, briefly dipped below, and came back up about 3:00AM, but there was always some light in the sky.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.