Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Soloing in Copenhagen

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Soloing in Copenhagen

I will be going to Copenhagen for a few days in October by myself. My real reason for going is because I need the miles, but rather than just doing a pure mileage run I decided to turn it into a mini holiday abroad.

So what are the best things to do in Copenhagen in October for a single traveler? Any places that are particularly recommended? Anywhere to avoid? I am also considering taking the train to Malmo one afternoon.

Any hotels/restaurants/bars that are particularly friendly for singles? I currently have a reservation at the Ascot Hotel, but I have seen mixed reviews so I am wondering if anyone knows anywhere better within a reasonable price range (Prefer not to exceed $150/night if I can help it).

This will be my first major solo trip and depending on how it goes it will hopefully lead to some more solo trips in the future.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:43 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Well, I normally travel to Copenhagen alone, and have never felt particularly uncomfortable eating alone - but then I reckon with a good book, you're never alone.

My favourite pastime in the city is cycling - it's just so set up for it that it's a pleasure, wherever you go - be it the old city centre, along the waterfront, round the back streets of Christiania, or out along the coast road through Charlottenlund, through Amagerfaelled or down to impressively unpronounceable Dragor.

There's some great museums in and around the city. Although slightly out the way, the Louisiana museum out in Humlebaek (on the Helsingor railway line) is one of my favourite modern art museums (anywhere). The Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek is rather good too. There are some interesting new museums up at the newly redeveloped Nordhavn, including the national museum of photography.

In general, though, it's a great place for wandering around.

Malmo is worth a trip - not least for the amazing journey over the bridge. The city itself has three interesting areas - the old town (near the station) around the pretty Lille Torg, the castle area, and the redeveloped harbour area around the Twisting Torso. If you want to look deeper, there's some interesting multi-ethnic neighbourhoods not too far from the centre. Malmo is a city bouncing back from industrial decline, and it's interesting to see how it's doing it - the result is that it's not always that polished, but it's the maritime history that makes it interesting to me.

If you're over that side, it's worth carrying on 10 minutes further to the old university city of Lund.

Other short trips that I enjoy are to Roskilde (particularly cycling around the fjord area and the wonderful cathedral) and Helsingor.

For eating, if I know I'm going to be alone, I find the area around Halmtorvet (also known as the meatpacking district or Kodbyen) to be less formal, and therefore you're likely not to have to hang around for as much as you may elsewhere (Copenhagen restaurants are not renowned for fast service). Note that you tend to walk through the red light district to get here - some may find that uncomfortable!

Copenhagen's not a great city for hotels - the rooms tend to be small, and the prices expensive. The Ascot is pretty average. I tend to stay at a variety of places - the Scandic Front often features, also the Andersen and, further out, the Stay Copenhagen services apartments and occasionally the surprisingly good Wakeup Copenhagen. If it's really rammed, I've been known to stay in Malmo and commute over. I don't really like the area around the Hovedbanegard and Tivoli, where many of the hotels are, although Vesterbro has grown on me (it looks pretty seedy when you first visit).
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Travelling solo is great in many ways - you get to decide what to do, when to do it, what to eat etc.
For hotels take a look at the airport Hilton. They have some very good point and cash redemptions ( 20.000 points + 65 DKK (~12$ )), depending on your dates.

https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/hi/...execution=e1s2

https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/hi/...execution=e1s5

It has been discussed here whether these rates are mistake rates or not, but they don't seem to be.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ints-cash.html
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
For around $70 or less for essentially unlimited public transport over a rather wide area over 2-3 days, you can probably get your nightly hotel rate down to $110 or less (easily could be $80 or less) and have breakfast and maybe even a light supper included at the hotel.

What I do is get the bridge ticket (to Malmo) and then the Around the Sound pass; and previously somehow buy some Choice hotel points and spend my nights at one of two Choice hotels near the Malmo Central Train Station using the points. Not most people's idea of how to visit the area, but it is a reasonable alternative that keeps the prices way down and is actually much nicer than most people realize until they are familiar with the area.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Originally Posted by airindia787
I will be going to Copenhagen for a few days in October by myself. My real reason for going is because I need the miles, but rather than just doing a pure mileage run I decided to turn it into a mini holiday abroad.

So what are the best things to do in Copenhagen in October for a single traveler? Any places that are particularly recommended? Anywhere to avoid? I am also considering taking the train to Malmo one afternoon.

Any hotels/restaurants/bars that are particularly friendly for singles? I currently have a reservation at the Ascot Hotel, but I have seen mixed reviews so I am wondering if anyone knows anywhere better within a reasonable price range (Prefer not to exceed $150/night if I can help it).

This will be my first major solo trip and depending on how it goes it will hopefully lead to some more solo trips in the future.
Been traveling solo (mature woman) for many years and love it! Everyone talks to you and I have actually met natives whom I am still friendly with.
Agree with op who said Museum Louisianna is one of the best art museum......and the countryside is beautiful! Its a wonderful country and the people are lovely.
Have fun.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:35 am

When will you be in Copenhagen? I too will be traveling solo there from Oct 7-10. If your time there overlaps, PM me as I would love to have someone to sight see with!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips and suggestions everyone. I am very much looking forward to this trip. Lastly, what is the climate like in mid-late October? I imagine it will be cold, but I am also curious to know about the precipitation levels there.

Originally Posted by TravelKat14
When will you be in Copenhagen? I too will be traveling solo there from Oct 7-10. If your time there overlaps, PM me as I would love to have someone to sight see with!
Unfortunately, our dates are off by 10 days. I will be there for 3 days from October 17-20.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by airindia787
Thanks for the tips and suggestions everyone. I am very much looking forward to this trip. Lastly, what is the climate like in mid-late October? I imagine it will be cold, but I am also curious to know about the precipitation level..
See this page :
http://www.dmi.dk/en/vejr/arkiver/decadal-mean-weather/

And this page a day or so before arriving ( only in Danish but the graphs are self-explanatory :
http://www.dmi.dk/vejr/til-lands/byv...vn,%20Danmark/
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, Amex, M&M, UR
Also, if you're looking for somewhere to stay, I found the Generator Copenhagen to be both affordable (by Nordic standards) and lively. Not too lively, but it has a social atmosphere and clean accomodations.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Copenhagen is a very safe city (in my experience) and people don't bat an eyelid at single travellers.

For cheap eats this is a great place: http://cocksandcows.dk and for something a little more special you could try here: http://www.restaurantmaven.dk/home
Malmö is certainly worth a day trip, although despite having visited there a dozen times in recent months, I still couldn't highly recommend anywhere to eat.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: UA, NW
I enjoyed walking down the Stroget (a long pedestrianized street) and taking a canal tour. It's a good way to get an overview of the city.

I stayed at a very basic place called CabInn, right near Copenhagen central station. It was like a business hotel in Japan, only more expensive, but ideal for a single traveler who doesn't need luxury.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I enthusiastically endorse the Louisiana museum and Lund suggestions. You could stay in Lund overnight if it isn't too much of a hassle to change hotels. There's an impressive old almost castle-like place in the very center.

I also agree with the tip to avoid the hotels around Tivoli and the main station. Don't even consider staying at an airport hotel expect if you have a very early or very late flight and then do it for just one day. There are a couple reasonable hotels near the Vesterbrucke (spelling?) station inside the ring on more residential streets.

The Stroget has a lot of touristic places now as well as some street people, but don't miss the Danish design stores (household furnishings and jewelry). In some ways, they're more interesting than museums.

It's fun to have a drink or snack in an outdoor cafe on NyHaven, although it's touristic and not cheap. There's an interesting hotel there, but it would normally cost more than $150 per night for a single.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The area around Amalienborg (the Royal Palace) and Marmorkirken (the Marble Church) is also pleasant to walk around; fairly quiet despite being near the centre. Not that Copenhagen will be thronging with tourists in October. Marmorkirken is unusually ostentatious for a Lutheran church. Rundetaarn (the round tower) has a good view of the centre.

If you're a fan of Taschen art books they have a shop (the only one I've ever seen) at the northern end of Strøget; not cheap, unfortunately.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by stut
My favourite pastime in the city is cycling - it's just so set up for it that it's a pleasure, wherever you go - be it the old city centre, along the waterfront, round the back streets of Christiania, or out along the coast road through Charlottenlund, through Amagerfaelled or down to impressively unpronounceable Dragor.
Did a search for biking, bicyles and nothing. Guess the operative term is cycling ^

Mrs and I just signed up for May 16 cruise and first stop from AMS is Copenhagen. We have half day and next day till 5 pm departure. We considering biking/touring and any advice or suggestions appreciated.
1. Understand the weather might include rain in mid-May?
2. Are helmets and locks included in rentals?
3. Are there racks in museums and other sights to park the rentals?

Or should we sign up for guided tour? We just north of 60 but reasonable fit
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
I found Copenhagen very disappointing,but do take the train to Malmo over the Oresound bridge,don't bother with the tour bus to the Carlsberg brewery,it looks like a run down car park,and the trip to it takes about 8 minutes on the tour bus for a lot of money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.