Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Soloing in Copenhagen

Soloing in Copenhagen

Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:43 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Weather may include rain any time of year!

Bikes tend to have built in rear wheel locks, and this is generally sufficient for Copenhagen. Helmets are worn by a minority, and not really needed here... Frankly, you could ride blindfolded and your biggest risk would be falling into the harbour.

There are bike racks everywhere in the city, but they can be very full! It is, however, acceptable to leave a bike leaning or on a kick stand - the ring lock will protect it - as long as it's not in the way.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 2:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by liamvad
I found Copenhagen very disappointing,but do take the train to Malmo over the Oresound bridge,don't bother with the tour bus to the Carlsberg brewery,it looks like a run down car park,and the trip to it takes about 8 minutes on the tour bus for a lot of money.
It's too bad that bicycling across the bridge isn't an option for most of us. I would like to do it at least once. A bike can be taken on the train between Copenhagen and Malmo -- although it may need a special ticket -- and there are nice bike paths around Malmo too. It's not that uncommon for Scandinavian hotels to have bikes as an amenity to borrow/rent. I know some of the hotels I use around the Oresund region lend out bikes, but they tend to be nothing fancy (to put it kindly). I don't see helmets lent out by the hotels, but maybe they have those too. Adult Danes seem less likely to use bike helmets during commutes than adult-aged Swedes.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 3:30 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Yes, you do need a bike ticket for the Oresund train (think it's about 15 DKK), and there's loads of space for them in the accessible section of the unit (although you may want to make sure you board before the airport, as it fills up with suitcases there!). I'd also love to cycle over the bridge, but the wind that whistles down the Oresund might make it a less than enjoyable experience!

Bike's a good way to explore Malmo. The city centre is compact, but if you want to get out to the castle and Vastra Hamnen/Twisting Torso, it's a great way to go. It's not nearly as easy to hire a bike in Malmo as in Copenhagen unless you're staying in a hotel - they only place that does public hires is in the bus station, and they're expensive, and pretty questionable quality.

An option for Copenhagen is the city bike scheme - designed for short rents, but with a built-in GPS, that includes guided tours of the city. However, they cannot be taken out of the city centre:

http://bycyklen.dk/en/
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:24 am
Suspended

Last year, Skanska and Sweco had a proposal for something like a raised bike path for the whole 8-mile stretch to bike between the countries. I was under the impression that Denmark was more keen on such a thing than Sweden. Either way, I want to bike across at least once if they ever allow me. It just won't be on a day where the bridge or any such proposed path is closed due to winds.

Biking in the region at the end of May is a nice time usually, but this region has substantial chances for precipitation on any given day. Most often it is a passing rain that isn't heavy and doesn't last too long, but the clouds and rain come here very often; and the ability to predict the short-term weather is way more suspect here than it is in most of the US.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 17, 2015 at 4:33 am
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:44 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I have walked to Sweden on the bridge.
They had a day ( or a weekend ) before the bridge opened, when it was open to the public for a fee ( transport to the bridge included ).
I don't remember if it was open for cycling, though
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by helosc
I have walked to Sweden on the bridge.
They had a day ( or a weekend ) before the bridge opened, when it was open to the public for a fee ( transport to the bridge included ).
I don't remember if it was open for cycling, though
Cool.

There has been at least one or two days where the bridge was available to some non-motorized vehicle use, but the limited opportunity didn't work for me or wasn't known to me prior to the events.

I have friends who take motorcycles across the bridge. I would guess that the winds while doing that are much more intensive than for a bicycle, but I won't know for sure unless I get lucky and get one of those rare opportunities when the bridge has a special event. How long was the walk?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.