Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Helsinki one night where to stay

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Helsinki one night where to stay

I am arriving in HEL in 2 months time at 11:30 am and departing the following day at 9:30 am.

Any suggestions for where to stay? I'd like to stay near the airport so I could take one bus to the center spend all day there take bus back at night and just wake up and get on the plane but I am bit on a budget and airport hotels are out of my range (for now).

Is the bus from city center to the airport convenient enough that I could stay at a hostel in the city and just take it to the airport in the morning?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I stayed at the Radisson Plaza last week for EUR 90, which is very cheap for the Nordic countries. It could be a summer special, which you would not get in Sep-Oct. There appeared to be some budget looking hotels near the airport.

The city center public bus is pretty simple from the main rail station plaza and it takes 30-35 min. There is also a Finnair bus for like one euro extra (6 vs. 5), which probably does not stop (as much) en route.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Great thanks. Yeah unfortunately its a bit pricier at the date I'm trying to stay. But good to hear public transport is easy to use
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:27 am

Programs: BA GfL
The two closest airport hotels are Glo (inside Terminal 2) and Hilton (across Terminal 2). Other hotels near the airport are Cumulus, Sokos, etc. If you do a search online, enter Vantaa as destination rather than Helsinki. #615 is public bus that takes you to Helsinki Central Station. Bus stop is in front of Terminal 2 arrivals just outside customs hall. Buy a day ticket from bus driver for unlimited 24-hour rides (bus, tram, subway) in Helsinki. If you want to kill time, I recommend taking trams #1, 3, 7 in either direction. You can board the trams near Helsinki Central Station.

If you're looking for budget hotels, try Eurohostel and Stadion (Olympic Stadium) Hotel but they're located in Helsinki City Center. The first bus leaves for the airport at 4:15 a.m., so you'll make it to your 9 a.m. flight.

Last edited by Peregrine415; Aug 3, 2014 at 8:38 am
Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Thank you Peregrine415. I didn't think about buying a one day ticket, I will make sure to do that. I have still some time to decide but those are good options as well.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
If you can swing a deal, I'd recommend the Hilton. I stayed there last year and it was great. A simple walk over to the terminal.

The airport has a small market inside so it's easy to load up on snacks/drinks/etc.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There is at least one Scandic hotel right next to one of the stops on the Finnair bus route into the city. It's usually been very cheap when booked via third party sites but has the downside of having you sort of neither perfectly here nor there.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:55 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
What about the Holiday Inn next to the train station? The Finnair bus stops close enough so getting to the airport is easy. Plus, you get to spend time in a very charming city. It is easy to walk around plus, the HI is very central.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.