Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip to Nordic Countries - Suggestions Needed

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Trip to Nordic Countries - Suggestions Needed

We plan on doing a 9-day trip next month and below is the route we're planning on taking. What are some must see places/attractions within this route? The route isn't set in stone so if there's something special that's in the surrounding area feel free to let me know.

Trip route in google maps:
https://goo.gl/maps/MBFmd

Old May 17, 2014, 7:55 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
You sort of just miss out the more interesting areas of Norway. There's nothing wrong with either Kristiansand or Stavanger, but the road between them is not particularly interesting. Also: there is nothing wrong with the main road (E39) between Stavanger and Bergen which has some nice coastal scenery, but you bypass Hardangerfjorden, which is one of the most beautiful fjords (you get to see a snippet of it at Eidfjord, though). Also: one of the alternative routes Bergen-Oslo takes you to Sognefjorden, probably THE most famous of the fjords.

I for one would probably suggest going Kristiansand-Haukeli-Odda-Bergen to go through Hardanger, and also go Bergen-Sogn-Oslo, but it all depends on which towns you really want to see. Why Tønsberg for instance? True: the oldest city in Norway, but not really a tourist center. Bergen and Oslo are sort of compulsory, but are Kristiansand and Stavanger for some reason "must-see" destinations for you, like the Danish street address obviously is?

I suggest that you give us the "must-visit" places you have in mind. It will be easier to suggest an itinerary that way.
Old May 17, 2014, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

ksu, thanks for the quick reply!

I don't really have any "must-visit" places. We just decided to go on this trip yesterday and purchased tickets so haven't done much planning yet. We enjoy nice scenery and that's why I drew a route along the coast. Is the drive from Tonsberg to Kristiansand a scenic one? If not I see there is a ferry directly to Kristiansand instead. In which case I created an updated map below, did I miss any of the places you mentioned?

https://goo.gl/maps/HA1J0
Old May 17, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond
We spent 3 months in Aalesund and it's one of my favorite places, ever. I recommend looking into heading to Aalesund, then perhaps visiting Atlanterhavsveien (the Atlantic Road) and Geirangerfjord. Just my 2 cents.
Old May 18, 2014, 3:15 am
ksu

Originally Posted by mrsjon01
We spent 3 months in Aalesund and it's one of my favorite places, ever. I recommend looking into heading to Aalesund, then perhaps visiting Atlanterhavsveien (the Atlantic Road) and Geirangerfjord. Just my 2 cents.
I certainly would recommend Atlanterhavsveien as well, as I live in the area (Atlanterhavsveien is the coastal road between Molde and Kristiansund, and I live in the latter), but within the OPs limited time frame of 9 days, Geirangerfjorden and Atlanterhavsveien would add two days.
Old May 18, 2014, 5:27 am
ksu

Spend some time in Sogn

Originally Posted by phatrabbitzz
ksu, thanks for the quick reply!

I don't really have any "must-visit" places. We just decided to go on this trip yesterday and purchased tickets so haven't done much planning yet. We enjoy nice scenery and that's why I drew a route along the coast. Is the drive from Tonsberg to Kristiansand a scenic one? If not I see there is a ferry directly to Kristiansand instead. In which case I created an updated map below, did I miss any of the places you mentioned?

https://goo.gl/maps/HA1J0
The map on the www.viamichelin.com website has scenic routes highlighted in green (you might have to toggle a bit around to find the right projection: its the one that looks most like a printed road map). But be aware: "scenic" means scenic for the country in question: an unscenic route in Norway might be much more scenic than a scenic route in The Netherlands!

I like your new routing better. Kristiansand is a nice summer city. I have not driven the RV9 Kristiansand-Setesdal-Hovden-Haukeli myself (when driving Haukeli when I lived in Odda, I always drove towards Oslo), but it is considered a scenic route, including by viamichelin.

When arriving at Odda, do not take the main road through the tunnel towards Bergen: head northwards along the Sørfjorden. I personally have a soft spot for the western side (towards Utne), but the eastern side (Lofthus, Kinsarvik) is the most famous and the one I would recommend. Cross at the new Hardangerbrua, and make the detour to Ulvik (RV572) and past Espelandsvatnet. Then go down to Granvin and drive by Granvin, Ålvik, Øystese and Norheimsund to Bergen.

After a stop in Bergen, drive to Voss, then across the mountain (Vikafjellet) to Vik i Sogn. From there you can cross Sognefjorden by ferry to Balestrand and then go east via Sogndal and Kaupanger to Lærdal before crossing the mountain. Stop in the village of Borgund to see the stave church there. From Borgund you could either go RV52 Hemsedal-Gol (the one you have on your google map) or you could follow E16 Tyin-Valdres. I would go for the former.

When in Sogn, remember that the Flåm railway is there (part of the NIAN). It can very well be travelled as a R/T Flåm-Myrdal-Flåm. Asb the road to Flåm is basically just some of the longest road tunnels in the world, it would be better to take a boat to Flåm, but he R/T would probably take a day.
Old May 21, 2014, 7:33 am

We will be doing something similar but on a longer period (4 weeks) and will try to cover similar grounds.

Are info/tourist center concept used in the Nordic countries ?
Old May 21, 2014, 3:59 pm
ksu

Originally Posted by MAZ199
We will be doing something similar but on a longer period (4 weeks) and will try to cover similar grounds.

What do you mean by "info/tourist center concept"? If you mean information centres for tourists, they certainly exist and are run by local authorities/ Chambers of commerce and the tourism industry. The Norwegian ones can be found on www.visitnorway.com (which is government supported)
Old May 22, 2014, 5:14 am

http://www.visitdenmark.com/denmark/tourist-frontpage

Aarhus is Denmark's second biggest city.
Odense is Denmark's 3rd biggest city and have H.C. Anderson museum.

Copenhagen is the capital and there are a lot of castles too see and a great night life. Remember the "Little murmaid" - Not that big of a deal but all tourists go there!
Old May 22, 2014, 12:42 pm
ksu

With that time frame, I would certainly go further north in Norway, certainly Ålesund, Atlanterhavsveien, Geiranger, Trollstigen and Trondheim. Lofoten as well, but maybe not all the way by car.
Old May 22, 2014, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by ksu
With that time frame, I would certainly go further north in Norway, certainly Ålesund, Atlanterhavsveien, Geiranger, Trollstigen and Trondheim. Lofoten as well, but maybe not all the way by car.
Thanks for the advice, but why not by car ?

How would you do it ?
Old May 23, 2014, 4:00 pm
ksu

Thanks for the advice, but why not by car ?

How would you do it ?
It's a long drive from Trondheim to Lofoten. I would go by ship (Hurtigruten) one way if your budget allows it (the ship is much more exepnsive in summer). Taking the car with you onboard is quite reasonable. That way one can see more
Old May 26, 2014, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

ksu, below are the updated maps for the portion of the trip you mentioned. Please let me know if I missed anything.

Odda to Bergen:
https://goo.gl/maps/ylXEZ

Bergen to Hemsedal-Gol:
https://goo.gl/maps/tMZON

I researched some on the Flam railway and seems like it might be worth the stop. I'm somewhat confused since you mentioned when in Sogn to checkout the Flam railway, because by the time I reached Sogn I would've already passed the E16 road to go to Flam no?
(see this link https://goo.gl/maps/w8yua)
If I was to take a boat to Flam where would I take the boat from?

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it!
Old May 27, 2014, 1:02 pm
ksu

Originally Posted by phatrabbitzz
ksu, below are the updated maps for the portion of the trip you mentioned. Please let me know if I missed anything.

Odda to Bergen:
https://goo.gl/maps/ylXEZ

Bergen to Hemsedal-Gol:
https://goo.gl/maps/tMZON

I researched some on the Flam railway and seems like it might be worth the stop. I'm somewhat confused since you mentioned when in Sogn to checkout the Flam railway, because by the time I reached Sogn I would've already passed the E16 road to go to Flam no?
(see this link https://goo.gl/maps/w8yua)
If I was to take a boat to Flam where would I take the boat from?

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it!
The boat to Flåm goes to/from Bergen, and calls at Vik, Balestrand and Leikanger. Timetable is here: http://www.norled.no/uploads/documen...sommerrute.pdf

But: it appears that it is impossible to do a R/T on Flåmsbana when coming in on the boat, so the detour to Flåm by car is probably a better alternative.

(Sogn is not a place, it is a fogderi: a third of the county of Sogn og Fjordane. Sogndal, Leikanger, Vik, Balestrand, Høyanger, Flåm, Lærdal, Aurland, Øvre Årdal and Årdalstangen are all villages in Sogn).

Your routing Odda-Bergen takes you to a place called Ose (and by foot into the mountains). The village of Ulvik is called Ulvik kirke on your map. And you probably don't want to go to Hemsedal golfklubb. Otherwise your routings look fine
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
In Denmark you will pass near to the Trelleborg Viking Museum and its associated Viking hill fort. It's pretty interesting for a visit, it's in western Sjælland near Slagelse. You can easily spend a couple of hours there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.