Wiki Posts
Search

9 Days in Norway - The right balance?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
9 Days in Norway - The right balance?

Hi guys, I'm not entirely sure of the best place to ask this, but I am hoping to get some feedback from people more familiar with Norway as to whether my current plan for my trip is realistic (or whether I might be able to optimize certain destinations)

My current plans are:

Arrive Trondheim (flight – Norwegian) – 10:40pm on May 18
HOTEL: Trondheim: May 18-19-20
May 19 or 20: Train to Snasa to visit a friend
Other full day in Trondheim: General sightseeing
Depart Trondheim (flight – SAS) – 10:00am on May 21

Arrive Alesund (flight – SAS) – 10:50am on May 21
HOTEL: Alesund: May 21-22 (no bed for the night of the 23rd due to the early ferry departure)
May 21: Spend time in the city and/or daytrip of some sort
May 22: Geirangerfjord tour
May 23: Bus to Nordfjord, then tour Nordfjord
Depart Nordfjord from port of Maloy (ferry – Hurtigruten) – 5:45am on May 24

Arrive Bergen (ferry – Hurtigruten) – 2:30pm on May 24
HOTEL: Bergen: May 24
May 24: Half-day in Bergen
Depart Bergen (Norway in a Nutshell) – 7:25am on May 25

Arrive Oslo (Norway in a Nutshell) – 10:45pm on May 25
HOTEL: Oslo: May 25-26-27
May 26, 27: Sightseeing downtown Oslo
Depart Oslo (flight – Icelandair) – 2:45pm on May 28

This seemed to optimize my time spent in fjord country while allowing a couple days to visit a friend and explore downtown Oslo. I'm not traveling on an extremely tight budget, but certainly trying to save a bit of money when possible. Unfortunately I won't be able to rent a car since I am not old enough (18) and wouldn't want to pay the extortionate young driver surcharges, but I am hoping between public transport and tours to visit at least some of the great places accessible by car.

What I am wondering is... Is my current itinerary doable without leaving me utterly exhausted? Is there another place I should try to dedicate a day to instead of one of my current choices?

I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I find that you have too little time in Bergen compared to the long time you have in Trondheim. I would personally cut down on the time in Trondheim and add some time to Bergen.
I have been to both places and sailed from Trondheim to Bergen on Hurtigruten.
Hurtigruten is great; fantastic views. And the train from Bergen to Oslo is also a fantastic experience.
Have a nice trip.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Looks good. You could do more days in Bergen, but with only nine days and plans to visit friends in Trondheim, I like your plan.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about Oslo.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:23 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Drop Nordfjord!

Not a bad itinerary, and certainly doable, but as a native, I do have some suggestions
Originally Posted by mtvesuvius
My current plans are:

Arrive Trondheim (flight – Norwegian) – 10:40pm on May 18
HOTEL: Trondheim: May 18-19-20
May 19 or 20: Train to Snasa to visit a friend
Other full day in Trondheim: General sightseeing
Depart Trondheim (flight – SAS) – 10:00am on May 21

Arrive Alesund (flight – SAS) – 10:50am on May 21
As I understand, you will be spending three nights, but just two days in Trondheim, and only one of those days will be used for Trondheim itself?

Trondheim is well worth a day of sightseeing, it is a beautiful city in May (I lived there for 12 years)

What I don't understand is your choice to fly to Ålesund. True, it is quick, but considering the rest of your itinerary, I would rather travel on ground. Basically you have three choices:

Direct bus Trondheim-Ålesund: leaves at 09.40, arrives at 16.45

Train Trondheim-Åndalsnes (change at Dombås), bus Åndalsnes-Ålesund. The train leaves Trondhein at 08.23, and arrives at Åndalsnes at 13.27. The bus will get you into Ålesund at 15.40.

Boat from Trondheim to Kristiansund (fast ship: Kystekspressen), three daily departures (08.10, 12.15 and 16.30), travel time 3,5 hours. From Kristiansund (my home town, well worth a stop over of half a day): hourly buses to Ålesund, travel time four hours. Departure on XX.05 until 20.05, no departure at 19.05.

True, the scenery north of Ålesund is less spectacluar than south of Ålesund, but you'll get to see a lot more of the country. Of my three suggestions, I would recommend that you take the train/bus-combination. The Rauma line (Dombås-Åndalsnes) is the other famous train line in Norway (after the NIAN Flåm line). It is spectacular enough, that they put up excursion trains for cruise ships. Failing that, I would do the boat/bus combination and have a look around Kristiansund.

Note: you have to reserve a seat on the trains, otherwise all my suggestions for ground travel are walk-on.

HOTEL: Alesund: May 21-22 (no bed for the night of the 23rd due to the early ferry departure)
May 21: Spend time in the city and/or daytrip of some sort
May 22: Geirangerfjord tour
May 23: Bus to Nordfjord, then tour Nordfjord
Depart Nordfjord from port of Maloy (ferry – Hurtigruten) – 5:45am on May 24

Arrive Bergen (ferry – Hurtigruten) – 2:30pm on May 24
This is the part of your itinerary I do not understand, and where you really should do some changes. I really do not understand what you intend to do staying awake in Måløy all night.

Of the four major fjords in western Norway: Storfjorden (including Geirangerfjorden); Nordfjord, Sognefjorden and Hardangerfjorden, Nordfjord is the least interesting, and going there by bus, and having to stay awake all night in a small village is not worth the effort in my opinion.

I would recommend you to do the overland trip from Trondheim to Ålesund, do some sightseeing on arrival in Ålesund on the 21, and do Geiranger as planned on the 22. I would then take Hurtigruten to Bergen at 1AM on the 23. 1 AM is a much more civilized time to board a ship, and you will probably have tiime for some more sightseeing while waiting. This will also give you an extra full day in Bergen, which I think your itinerary lacks. Half a day is too short time for Norway's most interesting city. If that is not possible, I would take one of the Oslo days, and use it for Bergen.

As for Ålesund: the sights are basically the Art Noveau architecture. The town is compact, so walking around for a couple of hours will cover all bases. Start by going up (signposted walk) mount Aksla for the view, then stroll around and look at the houses.

HOTEL: Bergen: May 24
May 24: Half-day in Bergen
Depart Bergen (Norway in a Nutshell) – 7:25am on May 25

Arrive Oslo (Norway in a Nutshell) – 10:45pm on May 25
HOTEL: Oslo: May 25-26-27
May 26, 27: Sightseeing downtown Oslo
Depart Oslo (flight – Icelandair) – 2:45pm on May 28
Sensible plan, especially if you plan to go to some museums.

This seemed to optimize my time spent in fjord country while allowing a couple days to visit a friend and explore downtown Oslo. I'm not traveling on an extremely tight budget, but certainly trying to save a bit of money when possible. Unfortunately I won't be able to rent a car since I am not old enough (18) and wouldn't want to pay the extortionate young driver surcharges, but I am hoping between public transport and tours to visit at least some of the great places accessible by car.

What I am wondering is... Is my current itinerary doable without leaving me utterly exhausted? Is there another place I should try to dedicate a day to instead of one of my current choices?

I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks.
I think you have made a good itinerary, except for the all-night vigil in Måløy. If you do insist on arriving in Bergen on May 24, I would much rather recommend you to backtrack to Ålesund (instead of going out to Måløy) and catch Hurtigruten from there, giving you a chance to sleep on board. Note that cabins are not compulsory for distance travellers. If you do take a ship from Måløy, note that there is also a local fast ship Måløy-Bergen, departing (last year's schedule!) 07.20, arriving 11.40 or 15.50, arriving 20.40.

To sum up, I suggest the following:
May 18: arr. TRD
May 19: sightseeing TRD
May 20: Excursion to Snåsa (train or express bus, reservation compulsory on train)
May 21: Train Trondheim - Åndalsnes, bus to Ålesund, sightseeing in Ålesund, including Aksla
May 22: Excursion Geiranger, evening more sightseeing in Ålesund
May 23: 1 AM boat from Ålesund to Bergen, afternoon sightseeing in Bergen
May 24: sightseeing Bergen
May 25: NIAN to Oslo
May 26-27: OSL
May 28: return on FI

If you need more suggestions, feel free to ask! I have lived in Trondheim (12 years) and Bergen (2,5 years), and visit Ålesund and Oslo regularly on business,

Do also note, that as an 18 year old you will be allowed to buy wine/beer but no spirits. And bars serving spirits (including most pubs) will have a age limit of 20

Last edited by ksu; Apr 12, 2014 at 9:34 am
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, and especially ksu! After several hours of searching yesterday determined to make Nordfjord work, I decided that it was far easier to drop it. I'll be taking the Hurtigruten from Alesund-Bergen as you mentioned, and I believe I'll give myself that extra day in Bergen.

I don't expect to be able to come close to covering everything in each city I visit, but I think I'm happy overall with the amount of time I'll have to explore. I hadn't even considered the option of skipping the TRD-AES flight, but I will certainly be skipping it now -- The connections look very nice for the train/bus route you suggested.

I wasn't aware of the age restriction on hard liquor, but that shouldn't be an issue for me since drinks will likely expensive enough to keep me sober

Thanks again for all the help, and I'll be sure to ask if I have more questions come up.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 1:46 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
I'd suggest that you book your train tickets as soon as possible. (Trondheim-Snåsa r/t if you plan to go by train and not bus), and Trondheim-Åndalsnes. "Minipris " (advance purchase including reservation, but no flexibility) might sell out.

Buy at www.nsb.no (The Norwegian State Railroads)
Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:58 am

You really won't regret not having a rental car in Norway. We did two weeks there and found a) car rentals and gasoline are almost prohibitively expensive, even without youthful driver charges, and b) the public transportation system is very efficient and well-run.

First vacation I've ever done without renting a car, and this from an American used to driving to get anywhere - is saying a lot.

Virtually anything worth seeing in Oslo or Bergen can be done by footmobile and public transit, and I don't recall even using public transit in Bergen.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Originally Posted by LowlyDLsilver
You really won't regret not having a rental car in Norway. We did two weeks there and found a) car rentals and gasoline are almost prohibitively expensive, even without youthful driver charges, and b) the public transportation system is very efficient and well-run.

First vacation I've ever done without renting a car, and this from an American used to driving to get anywhere - is saying a lot.

Virtually anything worth seeing in Oslo or Bergen can be done by footmobile and public transit, and I don't recall even using public transit in Bergen.
In Oslo taking the tram will be a journey in itself.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by chrisljo
In Oslo taking the tram will be a journey in itself.
Started my self-styled NIAN (Oslo-Balestrand) with an early morning trikk from the Bondeheimen to Oslo S.

One trikk, one buss, two togs, and a ferry later, a spectacular day! Loved your country, and again, tusen Takk to KSU for some stellar advice.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by LowlyDLsilver

I agree. I visited an American-born friend who has lived in Norway most of her adult life. She invited me to spend the weekend at the cabin that she and her gentleman friend own, and at first she suggested that I rent a car, but I looked at the respective prices for a rental car and for a bus on the same route (Bergen to Oslo), and the bus was only 1/7 the cost.

There are designated bus stops throughout the countryside, and they all have names. My friend told me the name of the bus stop nearest her cabin, and I asked the driver to tell me when it was coming up. It was just a sign by the side of the road, but my friends were waiting there.

To me one of the most interesting parts of the trip (aside from the gorgeous scenery and the little towns) was the way passengers with backpacks would get off the bus in the middle of nowhere and hike off into the woods.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.