Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Stockholm

Sheraton Stockholm

Old May 13, 2014, 5:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've taken the commuter train between Marsta and T-Centralen a lot. Luggage on the train is not generally a problem on that commuter line. The bus between Marsta and the airport can be an issue if it's a busy time of the day, but even that is not usually the case most of the day for most of the days.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 20, 2014 at 3:27 pm
Old May 18, 2014, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!

Hello Helosc & GUWonder,

Thank you both for your replies!

Helosc, yes, your understanding about my question regarding the luggage on the commuter trains was correct. Traveling on a weekend, I'd expect the trains to be less crowded and the luggage to not be an issue, but its good to confirm .

I appreciate your help!

Cheers!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by helosc
72 hour ticket = 230 SEK

Valid for commuter trains, metro, busses and the small ferry to Skansen.

You need to buy a plastic access card ( 20 SEK ) to load these tickets on.
The tickets are also valid to and fro from the airport on the regular commuter trains ( NOT the Arlanda Express ).
There is a passage supplement fee of 75 SEK to be paid on leaving and entering the airport.
Everything can be bought in the airport at the counter for the commuter trains.
Do my wife and I both need to buy one of the 20 SEK SL access cards, or can I use swipe the card multiple times for each of us to get through? I assume our 1 year-old son can ride free in any event (and not pay the 75 SEK supplement when we fly out of ARN).

Also, if we are arriving in Stockholm from Copenhagen via the SJ train, is it better to buy the SL card at the Centralstation from an electronic kiosk or a live person if we haven't exchanged to local currency yet?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by silentbob1974
Do my wife and I both need to buy one of the 20 SEK SL access cards, or can I use swipe the card multiple times for each of us to get through? I assume our 1 year-old son can ride free in any event (and not pay the 75 SEK supplement when we fly out of ARN).

Also, if we are arriving in Stockholm from Copenhagen via the SJ train, is it better to buy the SL card at the Centralstation from an electronic kiosk or a live person?
I am not sure whether you need one or two access cards. I think two. I use two cards if we are two people.
Yes your child can ride for free and of course not pay the airport supplement either.
I would suggest buying the card(s) from a manned office, then you are sure you get the right tickets and you can ask questions for example about one or two cards. I know the SL ( public transport in Stockholm ) office accept cards but I very much assume that the kiosks do as well.
I hope you'll have a nice trip.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:02 pm

I just looked at the SL webpage and nowhere do they mention that a card can be used for more than one person. So it would be one card per adult.
I saw that the cards themselves cannot be bought in the kiosks
(ticket machines) you need to go to an office for that.

http://sl.se/en/fares--tickets/
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:22 pm

I just looked at the SL webpage and nowhere do they mention that a card can be used for more than one person. So it would be one card per adult.
I saw that the cards themselves cannot be bought in the kiosks
(ticket machines) you need to go to an office for that.

http://sl.se/en/fares--tickets/
Thanks -- I appreciate the clarification!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:50 pm
Suspended

There are 24 hour cards and 72 hour SL passes that are not plastic cards. They are paper cards with a small chip inside and they get activated automatically at first use. This doesn't require buying a plastic card at 20SEK or any other price, but it does involve buying these SL 24/72 hour passes from a staffed sales outlet. Tourist information offices seem to sell them.

It is one card per adult. Young children are free, but this may mean you have to go via a staff-controlled gate area to get in or otherwise be quick to clear the child and adult together at the automated gates.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It is one card per adult. Young children are free, but this may mean you have to go via a staff-controlled gate area to get in or otherwise be quick to clear the child and adult together at the automated gates.
Adults actually can use the same SL Access card as long as they travel together, use single group tickets and the manned gates. I recall I've borrowed my card to my daughter and she has used it together with her friend.

Last edited by tsastor; Oct 4, 2014 at 7:08 am
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by tsastor
Adults actually can use the same SL Access card as long as they travel together, use single group tickets and the manned gates. I recall I've borrowed my card to my daughter and she has used it together with her friend.
I am not so sure about this.
This is a quote from the link I posted earlier ( it is found under the heading
' visitor tickets - travelcards ' ).

'Travelcards are transferable and can be used by several travellers, but only one at a time'
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tsastor
For the SL 24 and 72 hour pass card in hard paper stock, it's one card per adult.

For the plastic SL Access card tickets and passes, it's a different story of sort and may come down to what is loaded on it. I haven't used group tickets on the SL system at any point since I started posting on FT, so can't speak to group tickets.

On the topic of the 1-year-old, public transport on SL buses are mostly free for the child and even one accompanying adult if the child is in the stroller. Even as a local resident of sort, this was news to me. This news came to me from a guy who used to drive SL buses as a summer job while in school; and I've had it independently verified that there is indeed something of the sort in operation in Stockholm.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 4, 2014 at 1:11 pm
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:12 pm

I am not so sure about this.
This is a quote from the link I posted earlier ( it is found under the heading
' visitor tickets - travelcards ' ).

'Travelcards are transferable and can be used by several travellers, but only one at a time'
Agree this is not very easy, but should still be possible:

Resa i grupp med reskassan

Du kan betala för flera personers biljetter med samma reskassa.

Du kan själv skapa biljetten i biljettautomaterna som finns på tunnelbane- och pendeltågsstationerna, men du kan också få hjälp av spärrexpeditören.

Reser du med buss eller tåg med konduktör är det personalen som skapar biljetten åt dig. Du kan även vända dig till ditt närmaste SL Center för att få hjälp med att skapa en gruppbiljett, men tänk på att biljetten börjar gälla i samma stund som du köper den.

Blanda helt och reducerat pris

Är det resenärer i olika åldrar i gruppen, alltså om det finns både de som reser till helt pris och till reducerat pris, går det bra att resa på samma gruppbiljett. Och det går att vara upp till 60 personer i gruppen, men tänk på att det finns begränsningar för hur mycket pengar du har på kortet.

Hela gruppen = samma ställe

Alla i gruppen måste resa till samma ställe. Det går inte att ha flera gruppbiljetter på samma kort.

Välj spärrkiosken

Automatspärrarna på tunnelbane- och pendeltågsstationerna kan inte räkna hur många personer som går igenom spärren på en gruppbiljett. Gå därför igenom den spärren vid spärrkiosken, som spärrexpeditören kan öppna manuellt
(sorry, in Swedish)

http://sl.se/sv/info/biljetter/reskassan/gruppresa/
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
$550/night? I am just glad I never have to pay more than $110/night to stay in nearly comparable (but slightly lower level) Stockholm hotels.
550 is a ridiculous price. Currently you can book Scandic Anglais for under $200 a night for the first weekend in June, and that may drop to something like $140 in the summer sale (or even to $110 as you suggested).

And that includes a vast buffet breakfast.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:18 am

Swedish is fine for me.

So just to summon up :

a) One card each for long term tickets (24/72 hours, 7 days).

b) Possibility of sharing a card ( with a bit of trouble ) if you use the card to load money on ( as rejsekasse ) and only buy normal tickets ( single zone tickets ).

c) 24/72 hours tickets can be bought without having the access plastic card
(issued as a one time use paper/ cardboard ticket with a chip).

I always find it to be much cheaper and much more convenient to have a long term ticket in Stockholm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.