Reload this Page >

Car rental at KEF

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car rental at KEF

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:34 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by EerieVon
Depends on the time of year. If it is summer a 2WD will be fine on ALL non F-Roads
I wish you well in your 2WD on parts of Route 42, as well as getting to the glacier on 221, getting to Dyrhólaey and to Reynisdrangar, among others.

I wouldn't try those in 2WD myself.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Judging from everything I've read online and in books, the Iceland 2WD versus 4WD debate is apparently endless, and the only conclusion seems to be "It depends."

I've just returned from a 10-day Ring Road driving trip in a small 2WD (Kia Rio Diesel). While I know we missed out on getting up close and personal with some of the most dramatic landscapes, we did get to see plenty of amazing places and things by sticking to paved roads, the occasional short drive on packed gravel roads, and our feet. Neither I nor my trusty travel companion (and driver) are back-country adventure types, serious birders, or made of money, so it worked for us. YMMV.

Just one data point: we rented from Blue Car Rental and it went very smoothly, including delivery to our guesthouse in Reykjavik and dropoff at KEF. The rental, booked pretty far in advance for mid-June, worked out to roughly $90 per day, including "super CDW" and gravel protection. (We passed on the sand and ash insurance.)
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread has great interest to me, as I've just bought some cheap easyjet tickets for my family to visit Iceland (first time) next June. I thought that, after the financial meltdown, Iceland had gotten significantly cheaper. The prospect of $30-$40 entrees (what I call a "Norwegian price scale") won't enhance our trip.

In any event, I did quickly look for car rental rates on Kayak and, sure enough, I seem to be looking at about $90/day for a medium-sized automatic transmission vehicle with one of the major agencies. I was wondering if something better/cheaper might be available. I was hoping for something closer to $50 or $60, what I would typically pay in an expensive country on "the Continent."
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:45 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by iahphx
In any event, I did quickly look for car rental rates on Kayak and, sure enough, I seem to be looking at about $90/day for a medium-sized automatic transmission vehicle with one of the major agencies.
In my experience this summer, that is what it is. I did forward my booking to autoslash.com, who shaved my >$100 daily rate to just under. I suggest that you book the best you can find and do the same.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Friend of mine is thinking about heading to Iceland in late feb/early march curious about the road conditions. I'm assuming a 4WD is best that time of the year?
Cheers
Howie
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
In any event, I did quickly look for car rental rates on Kayak and, sure enough, I seem to be looking at about $90/day for a medium-sized automatic transmission vehicle with one of the major agencies. I was wondering if something better/cheaper might be available. I was hoping for something closer to $50 or $60, what I would typically pay in an expensive country on "the Continent."
I don't think $50-60 is realistic. Higher rates in Iceland are not only a reflection of the generally high price level, but also of climate and road conditions. We rented a small 2WD and gave it back in quite "battered" condition (no real damage, but just what happens when you drive a car on coarse gravel roads, dirt roads etc.), and they didn't even bat an eye.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Friend of mine is thinking about heading to Iceland in late feb/early march curious about the road conditions. I'm assuming a 4WD is best that time of the year?
Cheers
Howie
I would say so, yes. The ring road is nearly fully paved, so if you stick to this, 2WD is fine. However, once you leave the ring road (and you will do so often, e.g., to drive to a waterfall or some other sight), you will generally have gravel. In summer and in dry conditions this can be done with a 2WD, in winter I wouldn't try. Just look at what the locals drive - have never seen so many "monster" trucks with huge wheels anywhere.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:36 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
We had ice on the mountain pass between Reykjavik and Hveragerđi back in early march of this year, and 1-2" of snow cover on the Reykjanes peninsula once you got off of 41. You could traverse that safely in 2WD if you're careful and experienced, as 4WD is more useful getting going in bad stuff, rather than stopping in it.

Those "monster trucks" are mostly used for off roading, for tourists, wilderness explorers, etc.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 5:12 am

In my experience - AVOID Faircar. Many people have had a good experience with BlueCar... you'll find some reviews on other sites. From all the horror stories, it sounds worth it to pay a little more!

Last edited by oliver2002; Dec 15, 2014 at 5:22 am Reason: removed link
Old Jun 7, 2015, 5:45 pm

There are many horror stories about car rental in Iceland - the industry seems quite renegade for the most part. I had problems with Faircar but Blue Car rental seems to get consistently good reviews.
Be careful of agencies renting out other company's cars - you don't want to have to deal with an intermediary for any insurance issues. Always photograph the car inside and out before and after your hire too.
Check the fine print - each company has a different policy on what roads they allow you to drive on. Even the roughest 4wd will only be allowed on some F roads....
Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:21 pm

there are many horror stories about renting cars in Iceland but it if you rent with the small local agencies that rent our recent model cars you should be fine. The good ones warn you about all the things that you should be aware of and if you have insurance you should have no problems, I rented through a website called Guide to Iceland and got a brand new car and great service. Don´t let the stories scare you to much
Old Aug 2, 2015, 6:38 pm

Using the United website, I made the following reservation with Dollar:

Pick up: Sat., Aug. 15, 2015 7:00AM Reykjavik, IS (KEF)
Return: Sun., Aug. 23, 2015 12:00PM Reykjavik, IS (KEF)
Car Company: Dollar Rent A car
Phone: 1800-800-3665
Rental period: 8 Days
Car Type: Economy
Car Options: Automatic, Without Air Conditioning
Special Equipment: No Preference
Rental Rate: 53.20 ISK Per Day
Estimated Total: 593.71
Mileage: Unlimited

There seems to be some sort of mistake, but I want to know what recourse I have if I show up at the kiosk and they refuse to honor the price I have received official confirmation about. I have an e-mail and it's showing up in my UA account. Anybody have any idea/suggestions/warnings?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:17 am

I know what you're asking, but I'll answer a different question instead: I'd never choose an Economy car in Iceland, rather I'd get one with high clearance for gravel roads that will be very uncomfortable in a Yaris or similar.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
I know what you're asking, but I'll answer a different question instead: I'd never choose an Economy car in Iceland, rather I'd get one with high clearance for gravel roads that will be very uncomfortable in a Yaris or similar.
Not 100% true. If you'll be on paved roads between cities, no need for a larger car.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:33 pm

Going to Iceland and skipping gravel roads is a bad choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.