Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Silja Line Overnight from Stockholm to Helsinki?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silja Line Overnight from Stockholm to Helsinki?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Went with Silja Line A-Class for €229. I'll try to remember to add our experiences to this thread in a few weeks when we return!
Old Aug 25, 2012, 8:25 am

Probably too late now but I have found it is MUCH cheaper buying on for example the Swedish Tallink site in the Swedish language than in English. Same goes for Viking Line.

There's also specials on offer which aren't available on the English site. A couple of translations can save you quite a bit. Also, as mentioned, never book a one-way. Always book a cruise as they're cheaper.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:27 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I could really use some help. I just changed my aa award that was ORD-HEL and back over Thanksgiving. I was reading the silja and thought the cruise was two days one way to ARN with a 24 hour stop at an island.

After reading this it seems it is a round trip. Not sure what i am doing and I just change my award ORD-HEL and ARN-ORD. AA was nice enough to do that for me without a change fee.

In my research I was going to do the Commodore with an outside view (hope a window and not a port hole).

I will be with wife and 4 year old.

If anyone can help me understand I would greatly appreciate it. I have no issues using Viking if they have a similar two day trip to ARN not 2 day round trip concept.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 1:42 am

Both Silja and Viking ferries between Helsinki and Stockholm do overnight voyages and stay in the port for a day. They make a stop in Marienhamn, Åland in the middle of the night so they can sell tax free in their onboard stores, since Åland is outside the EU tax area, much like the English Channel islands. Most people actually going to Åland use daytime ferries which in Finland leave from Turku and Naantali.

With Helsinki-Stockholm ferries the cruise means that you spend a day in your destination city and take the same ship back in the evening. But the cruise is often much cheaper than one-way ticket, so people often buy a cruise also when travelling just one way. The difference is probably smaller or even other way around with higher class cabins, so chack the prices before booking.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:14 am
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Kallio
Both Silja and Viking ferries between Helsinki and Stockholm do overnight voyages and stay in the port for a day. They make a stop in Marienhamn, Åland in the middle of the night so they can sell tax free in their onboard stores, since Åland is outside the EU tax area, much like the English Channel islands. Most people actually going to Åland use daytime ferries which in Finland leave from Turku and Naantali.

With Helsinki-Stockholm ferries the cruise means that you spend a day in your destination city and take the same ship back in the evening. But the cruise is often much cheaper than one-way ticket, so people often buy a cruise also when travelling just one way. The difference is probably smaller or even other way around with higher class cabins, so chack the prices before booking.
Thanks, at first reading this I was disappointed I changed my return from ARN but I want to spend some time there, not just half a day. I can either just get off and not take ride back, do a one-way, or come back and find a way back to ARN. Do you think the cruise is worth a trip back and the trouble of getting back to ARN, in terms of something that is cool?

It seems there are options to come back, 10K one way award, train or bus (not sure how a train or bus can get between these points).

If a one way cruise gives the experience than I would just stay there.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by thepla
Thanks, at first reading this I was disappointed I changed my return from ARN but I want to spend some time there, not just half a day. I can either just get off and not take ride back, do a one-way, or come back and find a way back to ARN. Do you think the cruise is worth a trip back and the trouble of getting back to ARN, in terms of something that is cool?

It seems there are options to come back, 10K one way award, train or bus (not sure how a train or bus can get between these points).

If a one way cruise gives the experience than I would just stay there.
The entertainment program on board might be a little different, but otherwise it's pretty much the same both ways. And Stockholm is well worth more than just a short day trip, so one-way cruise and flying back from there is an excellent plan. If you want to spend more time at sea and have time, do a day trip to Tallinn from Helsinki.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:30 pm

The open-jaw return is probably a better option.

The main reason anyone goes on the true cruise is to buy tax-free booze on the way there and put it in one of the fridge-lockers. Then drink it on the way back.

Going back "just" to catch a return flight I would personally say is a waste of time if you aren't there for the party, which if you are with a child, probably isn't the case.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
The main reason anyone goes on the true cruise is to buy tax-free booze on the way there and put it in one of the fridge-lockers. Then drink it on the way back.
Oh come on, I personally don't know anyone who does that

I think you are vastly exaggerating the "booze" factor. A lot of people come with their children, for the entertainment, food etc.

Still, in this case I agree one way is enough to get the experience.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by tsastor
Oh come on, I personally don't know anyone who does that

I think you are vastly exaggerating the "booze" factor. A lot of people come with their children, for the entertainment, food etc.

Still, in this case I agree one way is enough to get the experience.
Pretty much everyone under 30 seems to do that, from what I've seen. Though to be honest I've taken Viking much more often than Silja, so maybe that has something to do with it. And yes, mid-week is not as bad as weekend.

Even so, they take the boat back to get home.. Seeing the same Tina Turner impersonator two nights in a row is pretty excruciating.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 4:06 am

At least among the Finns, the booze-cruising has shifted mostly to Estonia from where there is no import limits and prices are cheaper than in Stockholm-ferries' tax free stores. But naturally many people will take an advantage of the cheaper alcohol prices if they happen to have some other reason to go to Sweden or Finland by boat. But it is now lot quieter than say 20 years ago. And the cheapest cabins and corridors below the car deck are probably still quite a party center.

Nowadays it is quite easy to keep away from the party crowds in those ships if you are not into cuch thing. Of course if you really want to have a drink at the bar at 2am, you probably cannot avoid seeing people who have had one or ten too many. The staff usually does a decent job in keeping some kind of order in quieter areas.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:05 am
Original Member

I ended up calling Minnesota TA listed on their website (Viking). For Thurs departure they have an outside room with 4 bunk beds at $170 AI, larger window but pretty high up (so can't see while sitting down). Seemed fair to me, the round trip was more money. No food included, I am taking advise of avoiding the buffet and doing restaurant.

One thing I collect from my travels, this is countries 48 and 49, is a bottle of liquor for the country. Have not done research for liquor that is for each country but is it better to buy Finland and Sweden bottle on this ship or while in country?

Any ideas on cool looking bottles that are made in Finland and Sweden. I still have all the bottles, they never get opened.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:25 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Price will be cheaper on the ship.

Hmm, maybe Finlandia and Absolut Vodkas?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 8:01 am
Original Member

I ended up calling Minnesota TA listed on their website (Viking). For Thurs departure they have an outside room with 4 bunk beds at $170 AI, larger window but pretty high up (so can't see while sitting down). Seemed fair to me, the round trip was more money. No food included, I am taking advise of avoiding the buffet and doing restaurant.

One thing I collect from my travels, this is countries 48 and 49, is a bottle of liquor for the country. Have not done research for liquor that is for each country but is it better to buy Finland and Sweden bottle on this ship or while in country?

Any ideas on cool looking bottles that are made in Finland and Sweden. I still have all the bottles, they never get opened.
Does anyone know how to get from Stockholm port to Sheraton Stockholm hotel?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:24 am

Does anyone know how to get from Stockholm port to Sheraton Stockholm hotel?
As you are taking Viking http://www.vikingline.fi/info/portin..._stockholm.asp

Taxi is probably easiest. The Cityterminalen terminus of the "airport bus" is not far from Sheratonh though. If the weather is good, I often just walk to Slussen T-bana station and continue from there, but it is about 15 minute walk. You can also catch a local bus to Slussen, but you need to get the ticket in advance and I'm not sure where to get it. Probably from the terminal.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by Kallio
You can also catch a local bus to Slussen, but you need to get the ticket in advance and I'm not sure where to get it. Probably from the terminal.
I guess you mean that there is a shuttle bus from the terminal, as the info is on the page you provided...

The bus nowadays continues to Cityterminalen and the ticket can be bought onboard.

You can also take the local bus but that involves a short walk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.