Malmo or Helsingborg?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malmo or Helsingborg?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2011, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Will be in Copenhagen later this month and would like to spend half a day in Sweden. Any thoughts on Helsingborg via ferry vs.Malmo via train? The former seems a bit more quaint. Also, I do not plan on getting Swedish currency. Will I be able to pay roundtrip ferry or train fare in Denmark? Thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Malmo For Sure

Quaint & delightful small town with a charming central square

Lovely oldtime small shops & eateries & a picturesque walk

along the river (I seem to recall 2 rivers)

I am late for an appointment but I'll add details later
Old Feb 13, 2011, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by vatraveler
[/SIZE]

Will be in Copenhagen later this month and would like to spend half a day in Sweden. Any thoughts on Helsingborg via ferry vs.Malmo via train? The former seems a bit more quaint. Also, I do not plan on getting Swedish currency. Will I be able to pay roundtrip ferry or train fare in Denmark? Thanks.
I recommend Malmo and/or Malmo+Lund over Helsingborg. Malmo's Lilla Torg is one of the quaintest city center places to be found in any of the top 10 population centers in Sweden (which includes Helsingborg).

You can pay for roundtrip train fare in Denmark. You could also buy a one-way ticket in Denmark and then buy another one-way in Sweden by using a credit card at a staffed (Skanetraffiken transport company) ticket office at the main Malmo C or Lund C train stations. Make sure to have your passport since non-PIN (read: signature-based) bank card transactions usually come with a request to show photo ID.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:30 pm

Malmo Details

It seems from the map (see link) that it's the same river

that loops around the heart of the city

http://www.hotels.com/ho205920-tr/el...o-sweden/#maps

The Savoy is a grand old style hotel directly across

from the train station & is very convenient & comfortable

As mentioned above just about all expenses can be handled

with any major credit card

I don't know if it's open to the public but the permanent

home of Sweden's major circus "Circus BrazilJack" is in

the environs of Malmo operated by many generations

of the Rhodin family
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:04 am

Do the train ride in the daylight, the Öresund bridge crossing is great!
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:38 pm

I taught in Denmark for two years 15 years ago and have been back to visit many times.
My vote is for Helsingborg via ferry! You can visit Hamlet's Castle and then catch a ferry (the cheapest prices on candy!).

My daughter (12 years old at the time) took a bus then train from outside Copenhagen with her U.S. friend up to Helsingborg, then to Sweden on the ferry. They spent the day wandering around, having ice cream, etc. Then back on the ferry. Riding a ferry is so Danish!
Have a great trip!
Old Mar 4, 2011, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Really nice trip. I enjoyed Copenhagen and Malmo. Will add Helsingborg for next time. Thanks for the responses!

Last edited by vatraveler; Mar 4, 2011 at 2:14 pm
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:00 pm

malmo or

i have never been to helsinborg.....but not much in malmo from what i have seen.....take the ferry i suppose....much more swedish culture more north....i think]
Old Mar 27, 2011, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
I vote for Helsingborg as you can make it part of a long day trip. You can hit Kronenberg Castle(Hamlet's castle) then take the ferry across and on the return you can jump off the train in Humberbak and take in the Louisiana museum on the way back since it's open till 2200 Tuesday-Friday.
Cheers
Howie

Last edited by stockmanjr; Mar 28, 2011 at 4:49 am
Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:28 pm

Yup

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
I vote for Helsingborg as you can make it part of a long day trip. You can hit Kronenberg Castle(Hamlet's castle) then take the ferry across and on the return you can jump off the train in Humberbak and take in the Louisiana museum on the way back since it's open till 22 Tuesday-Thursday.
Cheers
Howie
We enjoyed all these as well on a day trip from Copenhagen

Louisiana (named for the fellows wife) has beautiful grounds

along the water with some great outdoor sculpture

It also has a nice little restaurant for a light bite

There is also a terrific mechanical music museum just a

few train stops North of Louisiana that is well worth while
Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:38 pm

Helsingor - Helsingborg

Originally Posted by stablemate77
i have never been to helsinborg.....but not much in malmo from what i have seen.....take the ferry i suppose....much more swedish culture more north....i think]

Much more in Malmo than in either Helsingborg Denmark

or in Helsingor Sweden at both ends of the ferry ride

Both are worth visiting on a short day trip
Old Mar 29, 2011, 4:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CHIC SILBER
Much more in Malmo than in either Helsingborg Denmark

or in Helsingor Sweden at both ends of the ferry ride

Both are worth visiting on a short day trip
Yes, both are worth visiting on day trips, even as there is indeed much more in Malmo than in either Helsingborg or Helsingor.

Despite my jokes about Skane, Malmo is a center of Swedish culture in ways that are only exceeded by offerings in Stockholm, Gothenburg and perhaps the two university towns of Lund and Uppsala.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
It looks feasible to spend a day to do the whole circuit. I was thinking of leaving CPH in the late morning, heading to Helsingør to check out Hamlet's castle, taking the ferry to Helsingborg, proceeding to Malmö, and finally returning to Copenhagen after dinner. Is that too ambitious?

Separately, if I understand the klippekport system correctly, I can punch a 3-zone ticket 3 times per passenger to get all the way from København H to Helsingør. This seems like a better deal than a 24-hour pass given my plan to loop through Sweden where the passes wouldn't be valid. But can it really be that the effective klippekort fare is half the regular fare?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:04 am

Not For Me

Originally Posted by HLS2002
It looks feasible to spend a day to do the whole circuit. I was thinking of leaving CPH in the late morning, heading to Helsingør to check out Hamlet's castle, taking the ferry to Helsingborg, proceeding to Malmö, and finally returning to Copenhagen after dinner. Is that too ambitious?
Sounds like a FAST 3 legged race to me

More travel time than destination time

I would sooner add 1 or 2 of the attractions on the way up

to Helsingor & have lunch (or snack) then take the little boat

ride around the "moat" before touring the castle

The ferry over to Helsingborg & back are nice breezy rides

& not much to do on the other side but good photo ops

Malmo should be another day (or overnight)
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:06 am

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
Personally, I'd go Helsingborg! Very quaint and charming, albeit small. Never thought there was really much to do in Malmö anyway - the best thing about the city is how close it is to Copenhagen!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.