Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stockholm Local Restaurant Recommedations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Paul & Norbert Restaurang?

I miss Paul & Norbert Restaurang. Any chance they will reopen at another location?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by KurtOlsson
Probably the best restaurant in Stockholm is superstar chef Mathias Dahlgrens "Matsalen" at the Grand Hotel. Two Michelin stars, and nowhere near cheap... However, Mr Dahlgren also runs a small "backpocket" restaurant next door called "Matbaren" (the food bar) which is great and quite reasonably priced, and has one star. Take a look at www.mathiasdahlgren.com, but there's no menu there as it changes daily.
Thanks for the recommendation -- just booked a dinner at Matbaren. Wish I had some idea of what to order and what prices to expect though!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by jeebus
Thanks for the recommendation -- just booked a dinner at Matbaren. Wish I had some idea of what to order and what prices to expect though!
To follow up my own post --
Matbaren was SUPERB. But expect to spend $100-$150 per person, without alcohol. I made a reservation on their website a week ahead of time, but the restaurant was not full during my visit in mid-November. I'm sure reservations are more important during the summer.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: Miles&More, Hemköp kundkort
Glad you enjoyed it, Jeebus!

Yes, while not exactly a low-budget place, I find that they're hard to beat in Stockholm when comparing price to quality. Getting hungry just writing this, perhaps I should call and ask if they have a table tonight...
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:07 pm

Reviving another older thread.

Appreciate recommendations for early dinner, local cuisine/seafood, not michelin star venue? Our plans is to eat relatively early evening dinner after visit to Vasa and before we go back to cruise ship to sleep.

Same for lunch the next day...again prefer local venue. Will either be near Central Station or Old Town and Djurgarden areas.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dtsm
Reviving another older thread.

Appreciate recommendations for early dinner, local cuisine/seafood, not michelin star venue? Our plans is to eat relatively early evening dinner after visit to Vasa and before we go back to cruise ship to sleep.

Same for lunch the next day...again prefer local venue. Will either be near Central Station or Old Town and Djurgarden areas.
In Gamla Stan/Old Town, I take my guests to http://martentrotzig.se/en/ .
Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
GUWonder, congrats on your 75000th post!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tsastor
GUWonder, congrats on your 75000th post!
Thanks. Does this mean I get a party at one of my favorite Stockholm restaurants, preferably with reindeer still on the menu?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
We'll have to ask Internet Brands about that!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Many thanks for the suggestion. Looked at their venue and menu. Two concerns:

1. we might not have proper attire after spending the day touring...jeans and fleece tops?
2. we are relatively small eaters and this might be too much for us?

We'd be more than game to eat there as long as above no much issues.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dtsm
Many thanks for the suggestion. Looked at their venue and menu. Two concerns:

1. we might not have proper attire after spending the day touring...jeans and fleece tops?
2. we are relatively small eaters and this might be too much for us?

We'd be more than game to eat there as long as above no much issues.
They are used to tourists in relatively casual wear. With jeans and something that is not a t-shirt, I wouldn't expect issues.

I think they would be fine with relatively small eaters, at least if it's at lunch time or an early dinner.

The waiters/waitresses don't live on tips at this restaurant, so I don't think it would be a problem with most of them. As long as the table turns in reasonable time for the portions, it would probably be just fine. When I'm walking around there at lunch some times, they are empty enough that some more business is better than too little business.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 19, 2015 at 10:42 am
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:20 am

Two places that stood out for me when I was in Stockholm late last year.

1. http://www.rolfskok.se/?lang=en
Pretty centrally located. Can be extremely crowded and somewhat noisy. Excellent food and drink in a very casual setting with friendly prices. Good sized portions two. As a solo traveller you can with a bit of luck get a place at the bar without reservation. Watching the kitchen staff at work in that tiny kitchen is quite entertaining.

2. http://www.hairypigdeli.se/#_=_
The hairy pig. Tiny, tiny place in the old town run by a brit with a passion for sausages in all forms. Serves some pretty good beers to. Nice place to step into for a drink and a snack after a walk around the old town. Bit on the expensive side maybe but fun.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
They are used to tourists in relatively casual wear. With jeans and something that is not a t-shirt, I wouldn't expect issues.

I think they would be fine with relatively small eaters, at least if it's at lunch time or an early dinner.

The waiters/waitresses don't live on tips at this restaurant, so I don't think it would be a problem with most of them. As long as the table turns in reasonable time for the portions, it would probably be just fine. When I'm walking around there at lunch some times, they are empty enough that some more business is better than too little business.
GUWonder-- That sounds like a good suggestion for my upcoming trip as well. Do you think I'd be able to walk in for dinner on a weeknight, or would they require reservations?
Old May 13, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
It looks like a wonderful place with a VERY nice menu. Prices are comparable to New Orleans. I've just emailed a reservation request for our July trip.

Thanks. Does this mean I get a party at one of my favorite Stockholm restaurants, preferably with reindeer still on the menu?
We'll be happy to host you at one of our favorite ANC places

Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
GUWonder, Thank you. We had an enjoyable dinner at Marten Trotzig. We were seated in the glassed ceiling back room that had been a patio or courtyard at one time. The other diners were either locals or other Europeans.

Food and service were excellent. My wife had the elk and I had the herring starter and the char as a main. Aquavit and wine were also top notch.

I know that everyone says that Stockholm is expensive but since we're used to New Orleans and New York prices, we found things to be reasonably priced.

We also (on a different evening) had the smorgasbord at the Grand Hotel which was wonderful. The varieties of herring, salmon and char were amazing. I was barely able to sample the swedish meatballs and the desserts.

We owe you a dinner, and while most places in New Orleans don't serve reindeer, they do serve alligator. Just let us know when to expect you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.