Flying within Scandinavia and Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2010, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, No other status for now..

I'm flying CO to Oslo, then SAS from Oslo to Stockholm and from Stockholm to Amsterdam. CO from Amsterdam back to EWR... Since the trip I'm going on is a very compressed schedule (leaving Friday and returning on Tuesday) I'm trying to schedule a very tight schedule so as to not waste too much time in the airports. I have questions re: check-in, customs, immigration, etc.

Approximately how long will it take for us to get out of OSL after landing? We will not be checking bags and won't be taking anything we're not allowed to take...

Approximately how long will check-in take on SAS when we leave Oslo? How early should we arrive at the airport to make sure we catch our flight? We have an 8 hour and 45 minute stopover in Oslo and would like to see the Viking Ships and hopefully the Vigeland Sculpture Park for a bit..

Also, the same questions for our flights from Stockholm to Amsterdam, and from Amsterdam to the US... I'm already aware of customs/immigration/check-in times at EWR...

Also, if any of you have tips on any of these cities, whether they be things to do/don't do, places to eat, etc, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2010, 6:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Norwegian TOLL (customs) is very efficient - I've never had to wait more than 30 min. Since you only have ~8 hours in OSL I would suggest taking the Flytoget to get downtown. It's more expensive than the regional train but quicker. Public transportation in Oslo is clean and easy to use and I would only suggest taking a taxi if money is unlimited.

From Oslo's main train station (Oslo S) it takes about 20 minutes to get to the airport, 2 minutes to get upstairs, max 30 to check in without status (unless you check in online), max 30 to go through security and another 5 to get to your gate. I would leave downtown 2 hours in advance to be safe.

On arrival in ARN and AMS you won't have to deal with customs and immigration because of the Schengen Agreement.

Last edited by BryanIAH; Jun 12, 2010 at 6:31 pm Reason: Add link
Old Jun 12, 2010, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much. I searched google but came up with basically nothing. We'll probably leave a bit earlier than that, but it's better than expecting to get to the airport 3 hours in advance like we otherwise would have. If we miss that flight, we're screwed.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by onefatsurfer
Thank you so much. I searched google but came up with basically nothing. We'll probably leave a bit earlier than that, but it's better than expecting to get to the airport 3 hours in advance like we otherwise would have. If we miss that flight, we're screwed.
You're welcome

If something happens and you end up missing your flight, Stockholm is a scenic 6 hour train ride from Oslo.

Swedish Rail
Norwegian Rail

Last edited by BryanIAH; Jun 12, 2010 at 10:06 pm Reason: Add links
Old Jun 13, 2010, 3:26 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BryanIAH
On arrival in ARN and AMS you won't have to deal with customs and immigration because of the Schengen Agreement.
Actually, the Schengen Agreement has nothing to do with Customs. Each country retains the right to inspect anything you bring in, and when arriving on an international flight you will still have to pass through a Customs area (be it 'Blue Channel' or whatever) on your way landside. It may even appear that that channel is unattended, but there will be Customs officers on duty.

cheers,

Henry
Old Jun 13, 2010, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BryanIAH
You're welcome

If something happens and you end up missing your flight, Stockholm is a scenic 6 hour train ride from Oslo.

Swedish Rail
Norwegian Rail
I'm more worried because the flight was booked through continental, and I'm pretty sure if I miss one leg of the flight, they cancel the remaining portions. I wouldn't want to get stuck in Norway/Sweden/Amsterdam with no way home...
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:43 am

Customs is quick anywhere anymore, especially if you changed planes somewhere else in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.