Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

6 hours in Oslo?

6 hours in Oslo?

Old May 24, 2010, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO
6 hours in Oslo?

Will be arriving into Oslo in the near future, landing from EWR at 930AM. Our connecting flight to Bergen does not leave until 4 PM so we would like to go downtown and take a look around. Any recommendations for such a quick visit? What's the best way from the airport to downtown? Any nice lunch recommendations?
Old May 24, 2010, 7:33 pm

Programs: QANTAS FF, SKYWARDS GOLD
Pity you're not going to Bergen by train - it's a marvellous trip and would get you to Bergen by evening.

However, for Oslo:
1/ There is a direct train link between the airport & main Oslo Station. Trains every 30 minutes for a 30 minute trip.
2/ Most visitors like the Viking Ships exhibit - access via ferry or taxi
3/ Lunch at Hotel Opera (right at the Station). Best Hotel in Oslo that I've stayed at.
4/ After lunch, walk across the road bridge to the new Opera House and take a tour (including walking over the roof)

Good luck

Dave
Old May 24, 2010, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Dans6362
4/ After lunch, walk across the road bridge to the new Opera House and take a tour (including walking over the roof)
Photos of my visit to the Opera House last fall (jthe walk to the top is not difficult):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12430645-post218.html

Alternate plan: take the Flytoget train from the airport one additional stop from the Central Station, to the National Theater stop. Walk about three blocks to the National Gallery, to see one of the most iconic paintings anywhere:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Scream.jpg

Best thing is, no admission charge to the national Gallery ^
Old May 25, 2010, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Photos of my visit to the Opera House last fall (jthe walk to the top is not difficult):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12430645-post218.html

Alternate plan: take the Flytoget train from the airport one additional stop from the Central Station, to the National Theater stop. Walk about three blocks to the National Gallery, to see one of the most iconic paintings anywhere:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Scream.jpg

Best thing is, no admission charge to the national Gallery ^
Unless of course the d*mn thing has been stolen again.

Dave
Old May 25, 2010, 6:23 am
AHN

Programs: SK EBG
1/ There is a direct train link between the airport & main Oslo Station. Trains every 30 minutes for a 30 minute trip.
Every 10 minutes on weekdays, actually, but not all trains continue past the Central Station. Schedule.

Good advice from the previous posters: The viking ships are a must, and opera and National gallery are good suggestions.

Really, seriously, you shouldn't go to Oslo without seeing the viking ships.
Old May 25, 2010, 6:56 am

There's also a certain sculpture park but the OP may not have the time to wander through that given his schedule....

Interestingly, Gustav Vigeland, the sculptor who created the erotic works at the sculpture park named after him also did the statues of the saints & apostles at the Trondheim Cathedral.

It makes you wonder which body of work was a penance for the other.

Dave
Old May 25, 2010, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by nikbruno
Will be arriving into Oslo in the near future, landing from EWR at 930AM. Our connecting flight to Bergen does not leave until 4 PM so we would like to go downtown and take a look around. Any recommendations for such a quick visit? What's the best way from the airport to downtown? Any nice lunch recommendations?
Being a bit of an Naval man myself, i would go to the Thor Heyerdahl Museum + Fram museum... That could easely occupy half day for me at least

Last edited by CPHBob; May 25, 2010 at 1:54 pm
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:35 pm

Agree with the advice given so far. May I suggest - especially if the weather is nice- from the Stn a walk to the New Opera House - then back across the bridge and towards Akershus Fortress (I found the Resistance Museum to be fascinating) From there a stroll to Oslo City Hall / Nobel Peace Centre Museum and then up to the Royal Park, where you can walk back along Karl Johans Gate to the Central Stn along a beautiful central park. I'm sorry I missed the Viking Ships and will check them out next time.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
There's also a certain sculpture park but the OP may not have the time to wander through that given his schedule....

Interestingly, Gustav Vigeland, the sculptor who created the erotic works at the sculpture park named after him also did the statues of the saints & apostles at the Trondheim Cathedral.

Dave
Very nice park indeed- weather dependent. 3 min with metro running every 2 minutes from downtown, then 5 minutes walk. Free of course! Have a picknick
Old Aug 26, 2010, 3:43 pm
Suspended

However, for Oslo:
As noted above, normally every 10 minutes www.flytoget.no and only every second train past central station.

However only 19 minutes with the direct train, and slightly more with the one having 1 stop before Oslo, and continuing past.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 3:22 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE

Dave
Funny, I dont' find the sculptures at Vigelandparken very erotic at all. They are supposed to picture different human emotions and IMHO that is exactly what they do. Very few of them are primarily erotic.

I would rate the park a top attraction in Oslo if the weather is ok.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 3:34 am
Suspended

A small tip on the transport to Oslo from the airport.

Regular oneways are 170 NOK. 50% for students up to a certain age, and for seniors from a certain age. Buy the tickets from the machine, and if you are uncertain about the age requirements go for it. Hard to blame a tourist isnt it?
Havent seen any controls during my 10 years of frequent travel on this train. Only use the ticket in the barrier at the airport only, not at other stations.
You could also do regular train on the next platform, bit slower and more infrequent though. But roughly down to the price of discounted express train tickets. Same with buses, which might take you nearer to your hotel or destination.

BTW- remember there are 3 Oslo airports.
1. OSL Oslo Gardermoen which is the main airport about 45 km north of Oslo.
2. TRF Oslo Torp (located by the small city of Sandefjord some 110 km southwest of Oslo)
3. RYG Oslo Rygge (located some 80 km south/southeast of Oslo

2 and 3 are mainly for low cost carriers (and charters) such as Ryanair and Wizzair + also Norwegian has lots of flights from RYG, now also starting from TRF in addition to their network from OSL.
However be aware that there are some flights like KLM from AMS flying also to TRF. Last time I took that evening flight there was no more public transport to Oslo that evening. Might have changed now, but do check in advance.

From 2 and 3 you can take express buses or regular trains via a short shuttle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.