transport from ARN to downtown Stockholm hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2009, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Amex Plat, Priority Pass, Hertz Gl, SPG Gold Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

I am staying at the Rica Talk hotel in Stockholm later this month; what are the transport options (and approximate costs) from ARN to the hotel?

it appears to be located close to a train station, Alvsjo, if this helps.

thanks
Old Jun 16, 2009, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Amex Plat, Priority Pass, Hertz Gl, SPG Gold Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
here's the hotel's website:

http://www.rica-hotels.com/Hotels/Rica-Talk-Hotel/
Old Jun 16, 2009, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
The Arlander Express is currently 250 SEK for two adults and children under 18 are free. This will connect you with T-Central and from there you can use the metro to where ever you want to go. The metro is very very cheap.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks,

I also noticed a Flygbussarna routing that seems to go direct from the airport to the Alvsjo station; has anyone used that?

--p
Old Jun 17, 2009, 6:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Here is the link to the Arlanda Express: https://www.arlandaexpress.com/default.aspx?page=3&. In the upper right corner, click on the British flag for English. It is the quickest, possibly easiest, but slightly more expensive way (than the bus) to get to Stockholm Central Station. The bus is O.K. too, but it has been a few years since I've used it, so I'm not sure about the current cost and other details.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 7:55 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by renault4
Thanks,

I also noticed a Flygbussarna routing that seems to go direct from the airport to the Alvsjo station; has anyone used that?

--p
Traffic is horendous in Stockholm. The quickest way to get anywhere is by train. If you want to do that for convenience, it may take longer and cost more but maybe that is worth it for you. YMMV
Old Jun 17, 2009, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Presently in Stockholm, my advice is Arlanda Express, a very fast (20 min) express train from ARN to Stckholm Central Station. Single trip 240 SEK (33 USD) , on weekends often 2-4-1 tickets. From there the complete net of communications are available

To Älvsjö , southbound commuter trains are convenient from the Central Station, where a connection to all subway trains (T-centralen) are a stones throw away, first underground level. Inside city center = 1 zone 20 SEK (2.5 USD)

The bus (Flygbussarna) only goes to Älvsjô when larger Exibit Fairs are on. Just going to Stockholm City, a duller way , spending 40-45 min, but fee only 95 SEK (13 USD).

Taxi, fixed price 450 SEK to city center, but watch out for scam drivers, look for fixed price on back door, and be sure to see fixed price on meter before leaving the airport.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the input. It looks like the Arlanda Express is indeed my best bet and then catch a local train to my final destination. If I have the presence of mind, I'll write a trip report and take some pictures for the benefit of others that might trek this route.

Cheers,

--renault4
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
A few more questions

Originally Posted by onobond
Presently in Stockholm, my advice is Arlanda Express, a very fast (20 min) express train from ARN to Stckholm Central Station. Single trip 240 SEK (33 USD) , on weekends often 2-4-1 tickets. From there the complete net of communications are available

To Älvsjö , southbound commuter trains are convenient from the Central Station, where a connection to all subway trains (T-centralen) are a stones throw away, first underground level. Inside city center = 1 zone 20 SEK (2.5 USD)

The bus (Flygbussarna) only goes to Älvsjô when larger Exibit Fairs are on. Just going to Stockholm City, a duller way , spending 40-45 min, but fee only 95 SEK (13 USD).

Taxi, fixed price 450 SEK to city center, but watch out for scam drivers, look for fixed price on back door, and be sure to see fixed price on meter before leaving the airport.
I'll be arriving this Thursday at 8:35 p.m. and staying at the Sheraton, in the center of town. A few questions:

1. I realize the info above re the train and fixed price taxi is just a few months old, but just wanted to check if it's still current.
2. If I do take a taxi, am I correct in assuming that I should just give a 10 or 20 SEK tip--or none at all?
3. If I take the train, am I correct in assuming that the best station for the Sheraton is the Stockholm Central?
4. Also, if I take the train, about how much should the taxi be from Stockholm Central to the Sheraton? And should I tip?

Thanks for any advice and info.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I'll be arriving this Thursday at 8:35 p.m. and staying at the Sheraton, in the center of town. A few questions:

1. I realize the info above re the train and fixed price taxi is just a few months old, but just wanted to check if it's still current.
2. If I do take a taxi, am I correct in assuming that I should just give a 10 or 20 SEK tip--or none at all?
3. If I take the train, am I correct in assuming that the best station for the Sheraton is the Stockholm Central?
4. Also, if I take the train, about how much should the taxi be from Stockholm Central to the Sheraton? And should I tip?

Thanks for any advice and info.
1. Yes
2. Not necessary, when I pay with CC, never tip. When cash, usually round up to nearest 10 or 20. Tip used to be mandatory until some 25 years ago, when it was automatically added, is not specified.
3. Get out of the station, cross Vasagatan and turn left. Sheraton's 250m down the road, the last corner house on Vasagatan, easily seen from Station Plaza.
4. Unless you have a lot of luggage, and unable to cope with that otherwise, don't. The time you spend in the usually only 5-10 pax queue, loading, travelling 500m (cars will have to round the block south of Sheraton), walking with a roller or similar is faster. The Taxi trip will be 3-5 min, depending on the traffic, will cost 65-100 SEK (10-15$) Tip? No.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Onobond, this is very useful info. Thanks!

I most probably will take the train and will be traveling light enough to walk from the station to the hotel. (Thanks for that info too.) But if I'm just too tired after about a 20-hour trip and might want to take the taxi, two questions:

1. Is it actually faster than the train?
2. I've seen on another thread in this Scandinavia forum a discussion about certain Stockholm taxi drivers evading the fixed price from the airport or otherwise being dishonest. That thread also provides advice re the major reliable companies:

The major taxi companies in Stockholm are :
Taxi Stockholm, tel: +46 8-15 00 00
Taxi Kurir, tel: +46 8-30 00 00
Taxi 020, tel: +46 20-93 93 93
Stockholm Transfer, tel: +46 8-33 20 00

I wouldn't be able to say which companies are safe apart from the major ones. However, I can more easily tell you which taxis to avoid and that's definitely the ones where the name of the company resembles Taxi Stockholm but isn't exactly it. Names like City Taxi Stockholm(where the City part is in smaller print) or Taxi i Stockholm or similar. Legitimate Taxi Stockholm taxis always have their phone number 150 000 displayed in a way that you can't miss it. If you first thought the taxi was from Taxi Stockholm but you don't find their phone number I would stay away.

At the airport, is it easy enough to select or reject which taxi to take, based on this information?

Thanks again.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I most probably will take the train and will be traveling light enough to walk from the station to the hotel. (Thanks for that info too.) But if I'm just too tired after about a 20-hour trip and might want to take the taxi, two questions:
Thunderroad, this is a side issue, but where is your 20-hour trip originating. Oakland?

If you are coming from the U.S., I can understand your fatigue after a long transatlantic flight. Why don't you consider getting a few hours of sleep at Rest and Fly http://www.restandfly.com/_eng/index.html at ARN and then take the Arlanda Express into Stockholm City? You can buy your tickets at any airport information desk and they can tell you the directions to the train stop. It takes about 20 minutes and really is very easy.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. Is it actually faster than the train?
2. I've seen on another thread in this Scandinavia forum a discussion about certain Stockholm taxi drivers evading the fixed price from the airport or otherwise being dishonest. That thread also provides advice re the major reliable companies:

The major taxi companies in Stockholm are :
Taxi Stockholm, tel: +46 8-15 00 00
Taxi Kurir, tel: +46 8-30 00 00
Taxi 020, tel: +46 20-93 93 93
Stockholm Transfer, tel: +46 8-33 20 00

I wouldn't be able to say which companies are safe apart from the major ones. However, I can more easily tell you which taxis to avoid and that's definitely the ones where the name of the company resembles Taxi Stockholm but isn't exactly it. Names like City Taxi Stockholm(where the City part is in smaller print) or Taxi i Stockholm or similar. Legitimate Taxi Stockholm taxis always have their phone number 150 000 displayed in a way that you can't miss it. If you first thought the taxi was from Taxi Stockholm but you don't find their phone number I would stay away.

At the airport, is it easy enough to select or reject which taxi to take, based on this information?

Thanks again.
1. Arlanda Express takes 20 min. Fastest Taxi journey between ARN and Sheraton Stockholm in my experience 27 min, scared all the way as driver speeded. Normal time 35-40 min, peak hours slightly worse .

Train stations are just beneath T2 (end towards T3) and T5. Just one escalator or elevator ride down. Ticket machines at entrance.

As you stated arriving 8.35 pm, I take it that's BA 782, arriving T2. Two luggage belts, very few other arrivals at that time, if checked luggage 5-10, max 15 min

2. You can choose whichever taxi, you want. The major companies , listed above will be in a special marked area. Easily recognised from Terminal exit. Curbside taxis might more often not be what you want.

Have a nice stay!

Old Oct 21, 2009, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, I'm on the BA flight.

Thanks again!
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, I'm on the BA flight.

Thanks again!
You're most welcome!

Have a nice stay in Stockholm!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.