Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airbnb conversion fees (mandatory - really??)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United, Lufthansa, American Airlines
Thumbs down Airbnb conversion fees (mandatory - really??)

Has anyone considered taking airbnb to court for their policy of not allowing charges in foreign currencies, even with a credit card that doesn't charge conversion fees? I feel like I'm living in 1957 not 2017 with their policy. Any thoughts?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Why would that be illegal?

Do HomeAway/VRBO/etc charge in foreign currencies?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:21 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, karen703. There is a dedicated forum for non-hotel lodging services, which covers issues re: AirBNB.
Please follow the discussion as I move your thread to that Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by txflyer77
The question is whether a merchant can force the DCC charge on you or if they have to give an option to pay in the local currency. It is complicated in this case by the fact that the AirBnB transaction is not necessarily taking place in the location that the guest or the host is based.

And, yes, it sucks to lose the 3%. I've mostly gotten over it.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txflyer77

Do HomeAway/VRBO/etc charge in foreign currencies?
They do. I saved hundreds of dollars on rentals this year by timing my payments to the euro/dollar exchange rate.
I always check HomeAway to see if the property is listed there before booking on Airbnb.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Airbnb foreign transaction fees

It's not the fact that it's illegal as much as it's petty and greedy. And, then there's fact that they charge higher service fees the longer one stays. That begs the questions: Is the service better the longer one stays? Are there more airbnb employees involved in longer stays? Is there more service for longer stays? The answers are: No. No. And, No. This company needs to revise its business model undoing the conversion fees and increased service charges. If it's still viable - good for them. If not, they need to put on their big boy pants and give value for price. Right now, it's a one way street only leading to their bank.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Sbm12 - I'm going to call the US Department of Commerce later today, along with my Virginia fair trade office to see if there have been any registered complaints about the conversion fees and service fees.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:32 am
Original Poster

I guess this comes down to two choices:
Airbnb is either technologically incompetent (can't figure out how to accept payment in foreign currency, by allowing customers to use fee-free credit cards), or,
Greedy.
They get to pick one.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:29 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
The only consistent way around it I've found is to register a PayPal account in the country you are staying in and then close the account after your stay. only works for infrequent AirBnb users but I can't say I would ever use it frequently so it works for me.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by karen703
I guess this comes down to two choices:
Airbnb is either technologically incompetent (can't figure out how to accept payment in foreign currency, by allowing customers to use fee-free credit cards), or,
Greedy.
They get to pick one.
Greedy. There were some ways to book in the host's currency in the past, but those loopholes were all closed over time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.