Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience with Airbnb?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL
Stayed with AirBnb in the States a few times, always at whole property rentals with good reviews and previous owner contact. When I suggested it to my mom for an apartment rental in BCN next year, she declined b/c of the possibility of last minute cancellation by the host, leaving the traveler without a place to stay in a tourist busy city. Anything to reduce her concerns? How often could AirBnB host cancel without having a negative impact on their listing? What options do travelers have if their place gets cancelled? Are the rules different if we book through an agency, like TripAdvisor or HomeAway?

Originally Posted by heraclitus
Then the host comes back to me wanting to cancel for one reason or another. OK, fair enough. But she wants ME to cancel, losing a credit that I had and relying on her goodwill to refund the money. Apparently she was at risk of having her listing removed from one more cancellation. Obviously I wasn't going to go for it, but it was annoying to be put in that awkward position in the first place. And then of course so many of the best Airbnb options for my trip were gone..
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by altabello
Stayed with AirBnb in the States a few times, always at whole property rentals with good reviews and previous owner contact. When I suggested it to my mom for an apartment rental in BCN next year, she declined b/c of the possibility of last minute cancellation by the host, leaving the traveler without a place to stay in a tourist busy city. Anything to reduce her concerns? How often could AirBnB host cancel without having a negative impact on their listing? What options do travelers have if their place gets cancelled? Are the rules different if we book through an agency, like TripAdvisor or HomeAway?
After my experiences (which haven't been catastrophic, just subject to some inconveniences), I have become unlikely to select Airbnb hosts who aren't superhosts or at the very least have solid track records with many positive reviews. I just won't take a chance now.

As for cancellations, I'm not sure what the impact on hosts is, but in my most recent case the host clearly wanted to avoid cancelling because she had done it before (not sure how many times) and her listing would get yanked. I'm an understanding guy but I don't see why my wife and I should get the shaft (it was in my wife's name so her signup credit was at stake, as well as her reputation for future bookings) and take a big risk given that we were in the no-cancellation period and we'd be relying on the host's honesty to refund the money. No thanks.

Anyway, after the host cancelled, we ended up getting a credit from Airbnb ($60 IIRC) and some suggested alternatives were sent to us. Airbnb's service was good, I have to hand it to them. But it's only as good as the hosts, who can be flaky or compromised by late-departing guests... both of those things have happened to me.

I can't blame your mother for taking the position that she has on the matter.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heraclitus
After my experiences (which haven't been catastrophic, just subject to some inconveniences), I have become unlikely to select Airbnb hosts who aren't superhosts or at the very least have solid track records with many positive reviews. I just won't take a chance now.

As for cancellations, I'm not sure what the impact on hosts is, but in my most recent case the host clearly wanted to avoid cancelling because she had done it before (not sure how many times) and her listing would get yanked. I'm an understanding guy but I don't see why my wife and I should get the shaft (it was in my wife's name so her signup credit was at stake, as well as her reputation for future bookings) and take a big risk given that we were in the no-cancellation period and we'd be relying on the host's honesty to refund the money. No thanks.

Anyway, after the host cancelled, we ended up getting a credit from Airbnb ($60 IIRC) and some suggested alternatives were sent to us. Airbnb's service was good, I have to hand it to them. But it's only as good as the hosts, who can be flaky or compromised by late-departing guests... both of those things have happened to me.

I can't blame your mother for taking the position that she has on the matter.
I've only had one cancellation in almost 20 airbnb bookings, and that one was many weeks in advance. I also got a credit from airbnb for my troubles.

Honestly, I don't think this is a MAJOR risk with airbnb, only a minor one. It should really only play into your booking consideration if you're headed to town for a major event, where bookings are scarce, and a last minute cancellation would be particularly problematic. Of course, that's what often motivates one to book with airbnb, when the hotels are very expensive for a peak period. Unfortunately, there's not a good solution to this problem. You'll likely save money going the airbnb route, but also increase your risk. Every individual has to weigh that equation and decide for themselves under the particular circumstances.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by iahphx
I've only had one cancellation in almost 20 airbnb bookings, and that one was many weeks in advance. I also got a credit from airbnb for my troubles.

Honestly, I don't think this is a MAJOR risk with airbnb, only a minor one. It should really only play into your booking consideration if you're headed to town for a major event, where bookings are scarce, and a last minute cancellation would be particularly problematic. Of course, that's what often motivates one to book with airbnb, when the hotels are very expensive for a peak period. Unfortunately, there's not a good solution to this problem. You'll likely save money going the airbnb route, but also increase your risk. Every individual has to weigh that equation and decide for themselves under the particular circumstances.
it is not even a slight risk if you book with a superhost. They lose that distinction if they cancel even 1 reservation.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
it is not even a slight risk if you book with a superhost. They lose that distinction if they cancel even 1 reservation.
That's helpful information, if you're looking to book for an event.

But what's the real value of being a "superhost"? I don't really know what it is, but I assumed it was based on good reviews. Personally, I just look for 5 and 4 1/2 star rated properties with plenty of reviews, and don't really look for the "superhost" designation.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA GfL
To be a superhost (I am one), each year on a rolling basis, you need to:

- never cancel a booking
- respond to at least 90% of inquiries within a certain amount of time
- get at least 80% 5-star reviews
- host at least 10 stays

The statistics are reviewed every quarter and you will lose the Superhost designation for a year if you miss even one indicator in one quarter. I find it a very valuable signifier as a guest, and I'm very careful to keep up my stats as a host.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
This only works when you can find a superhost. I am currently looking for a place in Maui over the Christmas holiday and there are very few superhosts on the entire island (but plenty of others).
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
This only works when you can find a superhost. I am currently looking for a place in Maui over the Christmas holiday and there are very few superhosts on the entire island (but plenty of others).
That could be because many of us with properties in Hawaii don't like the AirBnB model as much as other vacation rental by owner platforms.

I am on AirBnB but would never dream of using it as my primary advertising platform. I use it very infrequently to fill small, short-duration holes in my calendar. When one is not using it much, it becomes very difficult to attain and retain Superhost.

To me, reviews, both on AirBnB and on other sites if you take the time to search for the same property elsewhere, are the best indicator of the quality of the product and the host.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
That could be because many of us with properties in Hawaii don't like the AirBnB model as much as other vacation rental by owner platforms.
Just as a matter of curiosity (as someone who vacations in Hawaii every year), why is that? I have also struggled to find condos on Airbnb there when traveling with friends, although as a solo traveler I am fine staying in private rooms, of which there are plenty on Airbnb in Hawaii.

To me, reviews, both on AirBnB and on other sites if you take the time to search for the same property elsewhere, are the best indicator of the quality of the product and the host.
Agree 100%. I have done well with both Airbnb and sites like VRBO, HomeAway etc. by carefully reading reviews.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find it very interesting that while almost all the reviews posted on airbnb are favorable, the reviews of the airbnb service itself are terrible.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.airbnb.com

There's an obvious disconnect here. Airbnb needs to revise their review system to generate more accurate reviews. If people go in with too high an expectation, they will be disappointed -- and perhaps never book on airbnb again. There's something about the lack of anonymity and person-to-person nature of airbnb that encourages erroneous happy talk reviews on their website.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
[QUOTE=iahphx;28647153
There's an obvious disconnect here. Airbnb needs to revise their review system to generate more accurate reviews. If people go in with too high an expectation, they will be disappointed -- and perhaps never book on airbnb again. There's something about the lack of anonymity and person-to-person nature of airbnb that encourages erroneous happy talk reviews on their website.[/QUOTE]

This is a great point. I am much more willing to be critical (but honest) on TripAdvisor than on Airbnb. At my last stay on Airbnb, I was texted daily by the owner if I had any problems but many of the problems that I had couldn't really be solved while I was there. What if the AC is too loud? What if the bed sucks? What if the lights are too dim? These aren't problems that can be easily or quickly solved (especially if it is a condo or apartment complex) by an owner listing a week on Airbnb.

The only way you are going to make it more anonymous and create more honesty in reviews is not to reveal my personal information to the owner of the unit unless I damage the house or apartment. Why should they know my name, address, phone number, and Facebook page? I don't know their personal information if they live somewhere else from the unit they are renting.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:28 am

Why should they know my name, address, phone number, and Facebook page? I don't know their personal information if they live somewhere else from the unit they are renting.
The host doesn't know all that. We get your name and phone number, that's it--in other words, the same personal information that you get from the host (except you also get our home addresses). Even the email is an Airbnb-generated forwarding address.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
..The only way you are going to make it more anonymous and create more honesty in reviews is not to reveal my personal information to the owner of the unit unless I damage the house or apartment. Why should they know my name, address, phone number, and Facebook page? I don't know their personal information if they live somewhere else from the unit they are renting.
The only way you are ever going to be staying at my place is if you give me all of the above information. And you will get the same from me. There is no way I am letting anyone stay in our place who won't give me their full name, contact info and a few details. This is our home - no chance I am letting someone anonymous from the internet use it who will only give me a first name and nothing else. What do you have to hide? Liability issues aside, I want to know who is staying in our home when we are not there.

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Just as a matter of curiosity (as someone who vacations in Hawaii every year), why is that? I have also struggled to find condos on Airbnb there when traveling with friends, although as a solo traveler I am fine staying in private rooms, of which there are plenty on Airbnb in Hawaii.

Agree 100%. I have done well with both Airbnb and sites like VRBO, HomeAway etc. by carefully reading reviews.
And I think the above is one the the biggest reasons. The anonymity of the AirBnB model is just not something I like. Plus the fact that AirBnB generally pressures you to price way below market value. The demographic that AirBnB attracts is more of a younger quanity-over-quality crowd and is looking for rock-bottom prices whereas other platforms (VRBO etc) tend to attract more 'mature' guests who are willing to pay a bit more for quality. Some dude renting out a studio, a room or a bed in Hawaii is the perfect AirBnB host. Those of us renting nice, expensive, and well maintained condos want a different type of guest. It is just a different market.

The inability to charge state-mandated taxes and/or be transparent about including the tax in your pricing is also a huge issue in Hawaii. Hawaii recently tried to impose some draconian charges on vacation rental owners because of AirBnB. If owners are not charging the 13.96% tax (or at least being transparent about the taxes by disclosing our business tax number on the listing), then what is the liklihood they are remitting those GE and TA taxes to the county/state as required by law on their AirBnB bookings? Pretty slim, which is why the state is trying to tax-and-fee us to death - to make up for those who are cheating them out of the taxes. I highly doubt many AirBnB hosts are paying GE/TAT taxes on their bookings which hurts all of us legitimate vacation rental owners. If they are honest and paying the required taxes (as I do), then that is ~14% less out of the price you pay that I make as I have to remit that amount to the state. That is a huge cut out of already lower prices I am getting on AirBnB vs other platforms such as VRBO. That's why I only use AirBnB to fill small gaps in my calendar.

Last edited by Finkface; Aug 4, 2017 at 10:18 am
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
This is a great point. I am much more willing to be critical (but honest) on TripAdvisor than on Airbnb. At my last stay on Airbnb, I was texted daily by the owner if I had any problems but many of the problems that I had couldn't really be solved while I was there. What if the AC is too loud? What if the bed sucks? What if the lights are too dim? These aren't problems that can be easily or quickly solved (especially if it is a condo or apartment complex) by an owner listing a week on Airbnb.

The only way you are going to make it more anonymous and create more honesty in reviews is not to reveal my personal information to the owner of the unit unless I damage the house or apartment. Why should they know my name, address, phone number, and Facebook page? I don't know their personal information if they live somewhere else from the unit they are renting.
The host never knows your home address or Facebook page. Obviously your name and phone number is pretty critical
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:44 pm

Plus the fact that AirBnB generally pressures you to price way below market value.
You can price your place at whatever you want, though. I have never even considered following Airbnb's pricing suggestions, which I agree are ridiculous. I set my prices much higher (yet still cheaper than hotels, for a much better room and access to a large, nice house with a kitchen/back yard/laundry). I am not lacking for guests.
The demographic that AirBnB attracts is more of a younger quanity-over-quality crowd and is looking for rock-bottom prices whereas other platforms (VRBO etc) tend to attract more 'mature' guests who are willing to pay a bit more for quality.
I can't agree with that. For one thing, I'm an Airbnb guest myself and still want nice places--when I'm traveling solo, I'm OK with a private room (and willing to pay up for a good one), but when I'm traveling with friends, I rent a nice, full condo with bedrooms for everyone. I would be happy to get that from Airbnb, but there are very few offerings, so I end up on VRBO. Also, as a host, I find that my guests run the gamut from 20-something to 70-something, and they're definitely not the "rock bottom price" type, since they're paying upwards of $100/night at my place.
The inability to charge state-mandated taxes and/or be transparent about including the tax in your pricing is also a huge issue in Hawaii. Hawaii recently tried to impose some draconian charges on vacation rental owners because of AirBnB. If owners are not charging the 13.96% tax (or at least being transparent about the taxes by disclosing our business tax number on the listing), then what is the liklihood they are remitting those GE and TA taxes to the county/state as required by law on their AirBnB bookings?
Airbnb does charge and remit the relevant lodging tax in many jurisdictions--just in my very recent experience as a guest, SF is one, and New Orleans is another. I haven't used Airbnb in HI for about 18 months, but I would imagine that if Airbnb hasn't come to an agreement about this with the state by now, they will soon.

Anyway, thanks for your response. I hope things improve in the future in Hawaii. For me, VRBO is a very clunky interface that is dramatically less user-friendly and frictionless vs. Airbnb, so I'd rather not be stuck using it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.