Reload this Page >

MESS AT MCCARRAN: Airport cures also have to wait

Old Feb 19, 2004, 3:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

Recent backups at McCarran International Airport are "unacceptable" but present a tough challenge, the airport's chief executive said Tuesday.

And until a solution is found, local air travelers will at times face more frustration, missed flights, and most-worrisome of all, increased security risks, Clark County Aviation Director Randy Walker said.

Since the beginning of 2004, peak-period delays at McCarran's 25 security checkpoint lanes have jumped from about one hour last year to more than two, three or four hours, according to recent passenger reports. The problem arose again Monday, when many travelers waited at checkpoints for more than two hours before they could depart following a holiday weekend.

Walker said officials at McCarran have been caught off guard by this year's frequent delays. Though they're exploring several potential solutions, an answer won't come quickly.

Las Vegas Review Journal story
Old Feb 19, 2004, 4:19 pm

Programs: 5/1/81 AA Member,1MM
There is an easy solution here. Fire the FSD. He is the one totally responsible for the TSA slow screening. The endless search for pointy objects, the shoe carnival,and the x-ray review of bags. Apparently,he is still upset over the cutback in his staff last fall. Note that the story stated that all 25 screening positions were open and until the last two months prior screening time was at acceptable levels. LAS is a disgrace,currently one of the worst airports in the US. Any bets that the FSD was one of the people to get a share of the recent $1.6M performance award. The ultimate solution is to return to private screeners.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 12:11 am

Security at LAS has always been an issue even prior to 9/11. 9/11 just gave them an excuse to polish their jack boots and shave their heads. It's a disgrace and something needs to be done about it.

For me, I'll do the drive rather than have to deal.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Driving from New Jersey may be a bit excessive! I'll pass.

Bruce
Old Feb 20, 2004, 5:41 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I guess this means I should spend the night in the airport on my UA promo run to LAS.
Old Feb 22, 2004, 10:05 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I think no one is going to really wake up until there is a full-scale riot over this stupidity.

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Feb 22, 2004, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sdix:
.....9/11 just gave them an excuse to polish their jack boots and shave their heads.....</font>
Boy you hit it the nail right on its head. Actually most of them wear big black sneakers which they do not remove (and for some unknown reason the paying customers DO NEED to remove all shoes) when going through the magnatometers.

Soon we will probably see the TSA logo tattooed on the "shaved" heads.

MisterNice

Old Feb 22, 2004, 11:03 am

Programs: 5/1/81 AA Member,1MM
Replacing the white shirts with BLACK ones would also help complete the picture.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.