Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Which US Airports have the Most Unfair Fares? (incl. Ranking Tables)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2011, 2:15 am
Original Poster

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes...-unfair-fares/

What we need is an approach that distinguishes airfares that are high because of monopoly pricing from those on routes that are legitimately expensive to fly.
The regression analysis also accounts for three other factors that have significant effects on pricing. These are, respectively, the market share at the origin and destination airports held collectively by the five “legacy carriers” (United, American, Delta, Continental and US Air); the market share held by Southwest Airlines; and the market share held by the largest single carrier at that airport (for instance, Delta and its affiliates are responsible for about 66 percent of all traffic at Atlanta).

¶Prices are higher the more the legacy airlines dominate an airport, but they also tend to be a bit higher where Southwest has a large share as opposed to other low-cost carriers like AirTran and JetBlue. (Southwest is cheap, but it isn’t quite as cheap as some of these up-and-coming airlines and now represents something of a middle ground.) Also, prices tend to be higher when any one airline dominates an airport, regardless of whether it is a legacy carrier or a low-cost one.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 6:19 pm

I think one of the commenters has it right:
All of your arguments suggest that the perfect price is the cost of production plus a reasonable profit. Can you give me an example of any (unregulated) business that prices this way?In fact the right price, in a free market, is the price that the customer is willing to pay. Too high, and you spill traffic. Too low and you lose opportunity (and risk the wrath of your shareholders). The end price may not be 'fair' but so what.Nice work, but purely academic. No relation to the real world.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
I know this article is correct about CID and DSM. In all the years I lived in DEN and my family was in Iowa, I mostly traveled on the weekend fares because it was so expensive.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 8:37 pm

I think that comment was spot on too...

It's fascinating in fact to see the radically different views many folks hold on such matters when you turn the talk from airfares/Doctors fees/etc to... say... the business THEY are in...

"That's different"!!!!
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UK Traveler
I know this article is correct about CID and DSM. In all the years I lived in DEN and my family was in Iowa, I mostly traveled on the weekend fares because it was so expensive.
Yeah. Iowa is a notoriously expensive market -- since de-regulation that is.
Before it was priced according to economic reality instead of "take advantage of no or low competition and use the profits to underwrite losses on competitive urban markets" of today which is another form of rob the poor to pay the rich.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
Not surprised at all to see Oklahoma City - my home airport on this list.

I am slightly interested that Tulsa did not make the list as well since the prices out of each airport seem to be about the same.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
I can only base my opinion on a small personal sample size, but I was surprised not to see SNA on the list of expensive small airports. But maybe it just seems expensive when compared to LGB and LAX.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The stats may be impeccably calculated but they are based on assumptions that are so ridiculously erroneous that the entirety of the conclusion is suspect. Too bad, because he's apparently a smart guy on some topics. He just doesn't understand air travel.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
Before it was priced according to economic reality instead of "take advantage of no or low competition and use the profits to underwrite losses on competitive urban markets" of today which is another form of rob the poor to pay the rich.
Exactly. Years ago, the fares were very reasonable compared to flying to Phoenix, Vegas, etc. Now, the only deals are if you catch a weekend fare.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 9:31 pm
KCK

Regulation is the opposite of economic reality.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 9:37 pm
KCK

Originally Posted by UK Traveler
Exactly. Years ago, the fares were very reasonable compared to flying to Phoenix, Vegas, etc. Now, the only deals are if you catch a weekend fare.
Because they were effectively subsidized by above-market fares on other routes.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I'll take my $250 transcons in a deregulated market, thank you very much. Commercial air travel is not a right.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
The comment cmn.jcs mentioned is incorrect.
All of your arguments suggest that the perfect price is the cost of production plus a reasonable profit. Can you give me an example of any (unregulated) business that prices this way?In fact the right price, in a free market, is the price that the customer is willing to pay. Too high, and you spill traffic. Too low and you lose opportunity (and risk the wrath of your shareholders). The end price may not be 'fair' but so what.Nice work, but purely academic. No relation to the real world.
On of my best friends works for a food company (think salad dressing). When the production price went down (one of the ingredients got cheaper) they passed the savings to the customer, the difference did NOT go towards dividends. It does happen.

The idea of a completely free market is as asinine as the idea of a completely regulated one. It's very clear though that monopolies (with few exceptions, such as natural monopolies) are almost never good for the consumer, which is why so many countries have anti-trust laws.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I'll take my $250 transcons in a deregulated market, thank you very much. Commercial air travel is not a right.

Of course you will and so will many others.

"I'll take!" I'll take!" is a very apt summary of the attitude that is taking the US as an economy and a civilized country right down with it.

There is no free lunch.
The loss on the $250 transcon is being paid by eliminating or overcharging for critical service elsewhere and by leaving the entire nation without an even halfway competitive national transportation infrastructure.

But, hey, as long as you can take yours, who cares what that costs everyone else, including your children and their grandchildren, in the long term. It's all about me, baby!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA
Delta fares out of Atlanta are brutal, compared to Air Tran. Hopefully the AT merger with SouthWest will force Delta toward more competetive fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.