Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

3 children fly alone from JAX-BNA (Nashville) without parent's knowledge

Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

These children spent $700 for a same day round trip from JAX-BNA. Their parents had no idea that they were in another state until they called from the BNA airport and told them that they flew to Tennessee for the day and are coming back. They just wanted to fly and had $700 burning a hole in their pocket! No one stopped them from flying. Their fares were fully refunded.

That must be the youngest solo mileage run! I hope they get to keep the miles.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_566229.html
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
So there were a 15, 13 and 11 year old. From SW web site:

"Young Travelers Although Passengers ages 12-17 are not considered legal adults in the U.S., they may book a ticket and travel unaccompaniedwithout adult supervisionat any time of day; however, Passengers who are 12 years of age or older and traveling alone are not considered Unaccompanied Minors."
also
"Children ages five through 11 traveling without an accompanying Passenger age 12 or older must travel as Unaccompanied Minors (UMs) on Southwest Airlines."

So a 12 year old can buy tickets and take along a 5 year old on SW without an adult.

The kids were lucky to pick SW where they fit the UM loophole, and the 15 year old could accompany the others.

^ to the 15 year old for being smart enough to figure how to do the trip.

to the public school system for being so bad at teaching geography.

The kids went to Nashville to visit Dollywood.

Dollywood is near Knoxville.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:49 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Common sense; it's not just for airline employees..
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Future FT'ers for sure!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
to the public school system for being so bad at teaching geography.
Very clever children. WN does not fly to Knoxville.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
By the time I was fifteen, I had traveled solo from London to six continents - never a raised eyebrow - never a curious immigration officer (except in the US (of course)). I don't see what the big deal is other than parents needing to be in control of their kids (something that is not really a high priority in the US)
Old Aug 14, 2010, 1:23 am

Programs: SU/DL/US/MR
Considering the attitude of today's frequent flyer, I'd say these kids were probably better behaved then most pax.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by nd2010
These children spent $700 for a same day round trip from JAX-BNA. Their parents had no idea that they were in another state until they called from the BNA airport and told them that they flew to Tennessee for the day and are coming back. They just wanted to fly and had $700 burning a hole in their pocket! No one stopped them from flying. Their fares were fully refunded.

That must be the youngest solo mileage run! I hope they get to keep the miles.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_566229.html
Why were the fares refunded?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
When I was 12 back in the late 1960's I used to fly alone, by myself,
may parents did not know I was flying. They used have special fares, youth
standby if you were between 12 and 21. I flew to DTW and PIT, and CMH for
6 bucks each way. No ID was even required. I just walked up to the ticket counter and bought a ticket. I spent the day at the airports and flew back
latter in the day. When I was a few years older I starter flying to other places like ORD,YYZ, and LGA. At about age 16,I told my parents what I was doing and they were not mad at me at all. I had a paper route and this is where the money came from.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Also, we must remember that this is the middle of summer. These kids wanted an adventure, beyond spending all day at the pool, taking karate lessons twice a week and stuffing their pie holes with milk shakes, beef burgers and hot dogs all day long.

Traveling by air is perhaps one of the safest and yet at the same time most fulfilling adventures a kid can undertake. One is never left alone, and once one passes the security checkpoint, one is in a "secure" and controlled environment. Additionally, the mode of transportation itself is much safer than crossing the road or riding a bike through the countryside.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Also, we must remember that this is the middle of summer. These kids wanted an adventure, beyond spending all day at the pool, taking karate lessons twice a week and stuffing their pie holes with milk shakes, beef burgers and hot dogs all day long.

Traveling by air is perhaps one of the safest and yet at the same time most fulfilling adventures a kid can undertake. One is never left alone, and once one passes the security checkpoint, one is in a "secure" and controlled environment. Additionally, the mode of transportation itself is much safer than crossing the road or riding a bike through the countryside.
Yea I can vouch for the fact that summer can get boring after a while after the same adventures time after time. It isn't like they drove a car underage I say who gives let's move on to the next story.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 4:38 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Where did they get the money?

Now if they had stolen a credit card, even one of their parents', then a dispute by the cardholder would probably result in the transaction's being cancelled.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 4:42 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Nobody asked a question. Nobody asked for identification.

Not the taxi driver
Why on earth would a taxi driver ask anyone for ID?

Regulation requires only those above 16 to have ID. Don't see what the uproar is about. I think it's fantastic.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AllanJ
Where did they get the money?

Now if they had stolen a credit card, even one of their parents', then a dispute by the cardholder would probably result in the transaction's being cancelled.
Read the link in the OP. She earned it. for asking the question
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:07 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Originally Posted by ajax
Why were the fares refunded?
Damage control

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.