FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/)
-   -   EWR / Newark Liberty to Hoboken Transportation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/999150-ewr-newark-liberty-hoboken-transportation.html)

maryjean Sep 26, 2009 4:42 pm

EWR / Newark Liberty to Hoboken Transportation

I am looking for an easy, inexpensive way to travel from Newark Liberty Airport to Hoboken, NJ and then back without going into NYC.

jackal Sep 26, 2009 8:07 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Google Maps offers directions by public transit in many areas. Fortunately, New Jersey is one of those areas.

Check out this link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...8&z=12&start=0

The exact options available will vary depending on the time of day you're looking at (the above link is for a Monday at 9am, which you can change), and some options do have you go into NYC and then back into NJ. But there are plenty of ways to do it via NJT or PATH. (The cheapest options will probably be NJT buses combined with PATH--NJT trains are a bit more.)

If Google Transit won't show you anything with just NJT buses and PATH, post back here and we can figure something out here for you. It'll be a bit more complicated (it'll involve a few extra transfers--I'm thinking NJT bus 62 EWR-Newark Penn, PATH to Exchange Place, and then PATH to Hoboken Terminal, followed by a bus to wherever you're headed in Hoboken), but it might save you $5ish or so over the NJT train options.

EmailKid Sep 26, 2009 8:20 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk maryjean !

While we have many knowledgeable folks here in BT (as jackal's quick response proves), I feel that perhaps you may get more responses in NYC forum, so I am moving the thread there (but I am leaving a redirect in BT, so folks there can see the original request and follow it to NYC forum @:-) ). In fact saw a recent post requesting help with JFK to Hoboken, and if there is an existing thread with you particulars you may well find this thread merged with that one.

EmailKid
Budget Travel moderator

eyeballer Sep 26, 2009 8:34 pm

If you want to use the trains: From Newark Airport take the Airtrain to connect to the NJ Transit (train). Take this to Newark Penn Station (one stop in the direction towards NYC). From there you can connect to the Path train to Hoboken. If you post the day/time of arrival we can guide you better. Total price for this is around $9-10.

There are also bus routes as jackal pointed out that are cheaper, and may be more convenient depending on where your destination in Hoboken is.

The google transit tip is a good one!

guv1976 Sep 26, 2009 8:47 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

The OP can get from EWR to Hoboken Terminal via NJ Transit Rail, without using the PATH train: Newark AirTrain to EWR rail station; NJ Transit train to Secaucus Junction; transfer at Secaucus for a Hoboken-bound train. One-way fare, including the airport rail station access fee, is $11.00. Travel times vary, but most trips take about 40 minutes ± from the time one boards the NJ Transit train, not from the time one boards the AirTrain monorail.

The cheapest trip would involve taking the NJ Transit #62 bus from EWR to Newark Penn Station, and then the PATH train to Hoboken Terminal, via a connection at Exchange Place. One-way fare: $3.10. Travel time probably about 50-60 minutes, from the time one boards the #62 bus.

nycbaggirl Oct 7, 2009 1:00 pm

Another option is to use a local Hoboken car service. if you take an airport cab it will cost $45 plus tip. I live in Hoboken and use Luxury Limo they charge $22.
201-339-9990. I usually call when I land and they pick me up 20 minutes later at baggage claim.

lavedder Oct 8, 2009 11:49 am

Thanks, nycbaggirl and welcome to Flyertalk. I was just wondering about the same thing about limo service from Hoboken to EWR and back. I called them up and they confirmed the price and they do charge an extra $3 for using credit cards.

Is there any other car or cab service you recommend around Hoboken since my daughter has just moved there. Luxury limo said they don't do local service, ie, within Hoboken.

nycbaggirl Nov 2, 2009 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by lavedder (Post 12572265)
Thanks, nycbaggirl and welcome to Flyertalk. I was just wondering about the same thing about limo service from Hoboken to EWR and back. I called them up and they confirmed the price and they do charge an extra $3 for using credit cards.

Is there any other car or cab service you recommend around Hoboken since my daughter has just moved there. Luxury limo said they don't do local service, ie, within Hoboken.

The one I listed is the nicest, there is another company but they send really beat up cars that you pray will make it back to Hoboken.
201-222-3334 is Ace, they are not bad.
201-420-1214 Is Indian Car Service-call them only if you don't care about your safety, but they may save you $5.00.

mbreuer Nov 2, 2009 1:11 pm

There's also a trip planner online at njtransit.com. Should have all the info you need.