JFK Layover

Old Nov 23, 2009, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, DL Plat, UAL Silv, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam, Avis First
JFK Layover

Hello,

I have a trip in December that involves a layover in JFK. We (me, wife and 3 yr old) in JFK at 3:00 PM and depart at 10:00 PM.

Any ideas as to what we could spend the 7 hours doing in JFK?

Thanks
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you hit a nearby hotel, avoid ramada. when i was there, hilton garden inn shuttle(s) came by the most frequently.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
That timeframe is a little critical... It's too long to (usually) stay at the airport and too short to go into town for some real purpose.

However, 7 hours are getting cut apart if you consider transport away from the airport to whatever destination (be it town or hotel), transport back to JFK and the fact even if you are checked in you should be there roughly 90 minutes before departure.

So let's say your 7 hours layover would leave you about 4-4.5 hours at a hotel.

Do you have lounge access ?

Cheers,
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Plenty of time to get over to Rockefeller Center to see the Christmas Tree and ice skaters, and probably get in some decorated windows along Fifth Avenue. This year's lighting is scheduled for December 2 (I'll be there a week later). From a prior visit:

Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:26 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the NYC Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:47 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I would go into the city, and see the tree. Tell them it came from a house up the street from a flyertalker

Go ice skating there (even if they can't skate, let them flounder on the ice for a bit, it's a great photo op) or Go over to Bryant Park and do some skating there. Bryant Park will at some point take reservations www.thepondatbryantpark.com but is currently not taking them.

They have a 100 shop holiday village too. You may even have some time to catch some windows too.

Grab a cab back to the airport, or if you are taking the airtrain head back on that.

If you can't check your luggage through, there are storage places at Kennedy that will be able to hold it.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, DL Plat, UAL Silv, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam, Avis First
Thanks for the advice.
I'm worried that w/o a stroller, this could turn into a difficult trek to the city.

We're more likely to do a hotel. I'll check out the Hilton.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 5:29 am

Programs: AA, DL
JFK to Manhattan on a good day can take an hour. Are you connecting to an international flight? Then you would have to be back at the airport at least 90 minutes before your departure. I wouldn't risk going to the city during the holidays because it is nuts near Rockerfeller Center. You can hardly move an inch. It is a cool sight to see if you never have seen it during the holidays but if your income flight is delayed slightly you would be cutting it on the close side in my opinion.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 5:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A hotel from 3-10pm??? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Are you traveling without a stroller on purpose? That is going to make everything in the airport more difficult with the kid, right? Why do that to yourselves?

There is plenty of time to get into Manhattan, see some sights and then head back to the airport, all for ~12 on mass transit. It just depends on what you want to see in terms of which stop to get off the train at.

I'll disagree with Cordelli's ice skating recommendations and suggest the largest and least crowded (though that is relative) rink in that general vicinity and that's Wolman rink in Central Park. Or let the kid run around an chase pigeons or something if they can't skate.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 6:14 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It is interesting in that I consider the crowds part of the New York City hoolicay experience. The hustle and bustle and all that. I always recommend people visit the busy places they see on TV during the holidays, the tree, the windows on 5th, etc.

Then again I think everybody should be part of the New Years Eve celebration on the street once in their lives, go to the Parade with the millions of others, and see the fireworks with the crowds too.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:09 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by sbm12
I'll disagree with Cordelli's ice skating recommendations and suggest the largest and least crowded (though that is relative) rink in that general vicinity and that's Wolman rink in Central Park.
I was by there two weeks ago. Great Manhattan views (particularly the Plaza Hotel).

Old Dec 6, 2009, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
A hotel from 3-10pm??? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Are you traveling without a stroller on purpose? That is going to make everything in the airport more difficult with the kid, right? Why do that to yourselves?

There is plenty of time to get into Manhattan, see some sights and then head back to the airport, all for ~12 on mass transit. It just depends on what you want to see in terms of which stop to get off the train at.

I'll disagree with Cordelli's ice skating recommendations and suggest the largest and least crowded (though that is relative) rink in that general vicinity and that's Wolman rink in Central Park. Or let the kid run around an chase pigeons or something if they can't skate.
Not sure about the stroller. We probably would go with an umbrella stroller to get us through the day.

The weather forecast shows a high of 34 degrees and windy. At the same time, 7 hours is too long to spend at JFK.
Maybe we could get on the train and visit a museum and have an early dinner in the city.... does that make sense?

Not looking forward to checking in into a hilton by the airport, but I was looking for a better place than JFK to spend the day. I don't have lounge access.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by FindMeTravel
Maybe we could get on the train and visit a museum and have an early dinner in the city.... does that make sense?
The problem with this plan is that with a 300p arrival into JFK, you're not going to make it to a museum before they close (unless, for example, you are coming on a Friday and think that the Museum of Modern Art, which stays open until 800p on Fridays, will hold the interest of your 3-year-old).

I think your best bet is to take the AirTrain to the LIRR to Penn Station, and then find some indoor space -- Rockefeller Center, Time Warner, Grand Central Station -- where you can hang around and let your 3-year-old run around a bit, and then have dinner before heading back to the airport.

Last edited by Blumie; Dec 7, 2009 at 9:05 am
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
The problem with this plan is that with a 300p arrival into JFK, you're not going to make it to a museum before they close (unless, for example, you are coming on a Friday and think that the Museum of Modern Art, which stays open until 800p on Fridays, will hold the interest of your 3-year-old).

I think your best bet is to take the AirTrain to the LIRR to Penn Station, and then find some indoor space -- Rockerfeller Center, Time Warner, Grand Central Station -- where you can hang around and let your 3-year-old run around a bit, and then have dinner before heading back to the airport.
It is a Thursday.
I think we'll go to the city on the airtrain and find something to do indoors. Thanks
Old Dec 7, 2009, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by FindMeTravel
It is a Thursday.
I think we'll go to the city on the airtrain and find something to do indoors. Thanks
Try this site for ideas.

Peter and the Wolf at the Guggenheim sounds promising! (Note that if you're going to the Upper East Side, you might be better off taking the AirTrain to the E subway line rather than the AirTrain to the LIRR when coming from JFK.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.