Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendations for the "seasoned visitor" to NYC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Recommendations for the "seasoned visitor" to NYC

My wife and I will be making our 3rd trip together in so many years to NYC in November. We've done most of the touristy things, so we're kind of looking for the "off the beaten path" type of things. I'm not opposed to leaving Manhattan, but it still has to be close to the train.

I'm not sure even what I'm looking for, but am open to your ideas on places you'd recommend to people that has been to NYC a few times and looking for rather unique places that you wouldn't hit on your first visit.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:35 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Have you been to the Transit Museum in Brooklyn (PHOTOS)? Irish Hunger Memorial? Grant's Tomb?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Brooklyn

-Brighton Beach aka Little Odessa
-Coney Island

-Park Slope
-Brooklyn Heights (The Promenade)
-Brooklyn Museum (of the Arts)
-Brooklyn Botanical Gardens
-Prospect Park
Old Sep 7, 2009, 2:53 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Clositers
Off Broadway Plays
Old Sep 7, 2009, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge from Manhattan, and celebrate with ice cream from the shop near the base on the Brooklyn side (if it is open that late in the year)
+1 for the Transit Museum
International Center for Photography gallery at 1133 Avenue of the Americas
Museum of the City of New York, 1120 Fifth Avenue (but check the exhibits - the Henry Hudson one was not up to their usual standards)
Lower East Side Tenement Museum, 108 Orchard St.
Dizzy's Club Coca Cola at the Lincoln Center always worth checking on - they're having a month-long celebration of women in jazz, from now through early October, but that's too soon for your trip

Last edited by lskohn; Sep 7, 2009 at 4:11 pm Reason: correction for OP's travel dates
Old Sep 8, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Lower East side for the food.
Little Japan (6 to Astor place) and dry sake house.
Central Park, one never gets tired of it.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another vote for the Lower East Side Tenement Museum and for The Cloisters. The former is particularly interesting if you have any relatives who immigrated through New York.

The Frick is an often-overlooked little gem of a museum.

There's usually something new on Broadway. Worth seeing are the revivals of Hair and West Side Story, if you haven't already seen them.

There's also always something worth seeing at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I'm a native New Yorker and have been there hundreds of times. However, every time my wife and I go back, a re-visit is compulsory -- there's always a special exhibition of some sort, or some unexplored corner, that makes the trip worthwhile.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
A nice walk around Central Park if its nice out then how about taking the 4 up to the new Yankee Stadium and watching a baseball stadium in the new $1.5 Billion (overpriced) stadium.

If you want to watch a single A team, take the 7 and head to the new Citi Field in Queens to see the NY Mets.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Howie721
A nice walk around Central Park if its nice out then how about taking the 4 up to the new Yankee Stadium and watching a baseball stadium in the new $1.5 Billion (overpriced) stadium.

If you want to watch a single A team, take the 7 and head to the new Citi Field in Queens to see the NY Mets.
We'll be there in mid-November, and unless he** freezes over twice, I doubt there will be any games at that time.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs
We'll be there in mid-November, and unless he** freezes over twice, I doubt there will be any games at that time.
ah, forgot to reread post looking for when you were going to be here. sorry

how about a Knicks game at MSG?
Old Sep 8, 2009, 5:10 pm

Lots of good suggestions above. I'll second (third?) the recommendation for spending some time on the Lower East Side. Amazing history with top-notch places to eat and party for all sorts of budgets and tastes. But it might help us focus our responses if we knew more about you.

What kinds of things do you enjoy doing? Are you into history, architecture, art, music, opera, theater, dance, eating, drinking, dancing, any particular ethnic/religious heritage, outdoor activity, or spectator sports? If so, what kind? "High" or "low" arts and food? Mainstream or avant-garde? What kind of budget do you have? What age bracket do you want to hang out with (regardless of how old you are)?
Old Sep 8, 2009, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Another small museum well worth the time: The Neue Galerie, the home of Klimt's iconic Adele Bloch-Bauer I:

http://www.neuegalerie.org/main.html?langkey=english

http://www.neuegalerie.org/data/data...t/original.jpg

Also, many nations or regional groups and societies offer exhibits and/or cultural programs in their New York City facilities. A couple that come to mind are the Asia Society and the Alliance Française :

http://www.asiasociety.org/

http://www.fiaf.org/

(A number of years ago, I saw a high-quality production of Maeterlink's Pelléas et Mélisande at the latter for about $10).
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Any more suggestions?
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhammer53
-Coney Island
Have only been there in the summer.

The OP is visiting in November. How is Coney Island in November?
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs
Any more suggestions?
There are a few questions above about what kind of things interest you.

If you respond to those questions, and if you comment on the dozen or so recommendations that have been given to you already, it will help us give more suggestions to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.