Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ground Zero / WTC and Other Places to Pay Respects for 9/11

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Ground Zero / WTC and Other Places to Pay Respects for 9/11

[B]so my friend tells me to go onto youtube and watch clips of the christmas spectacular show. We are going to be in nyc for the 1st time this Christmas, anyways, I type in new york and the results show inside world trade centre 9/11. I end up watching this footage and now i find myself on this site posting a message about it. I have no idea why.
I think watching that has just reminded me of the heros of that day. I also thought that many people in new york city would know someone effected directly by 9/11. A friend, loved one, neighbour... I dont know, just watching that footage it brought it all back. I am in no way political, but so many questions have not been answered to this day....

Other than ground zero, is there any where else set up that we can visit to pay our respects for all those innocent people who were murdered that day... And of course the hero's who lost their lives saving that of other peoples

God Bless New York, and God Bless America
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by sparkles288
I think watching that has just reminded me of the heros of that day. I also thought that many people in new york city would know someone effected directly by 9/11. A friend, loved one, neighbour. . .

Other than ground zero, is there any where else set up that we can visit to pay our respects for all those innocent people who were murdered that day... And of course the hero's who lost their lives saving that of other peoples

God Bless New York, and God Bless America.
Thank you for the beautiful sentiments expressed in your post. ^^

Yes, without getting too personal, I'm sure many of us know or knew people who were directly impacted on that day. I have several names on the list myself.

I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for. Would you take a look at http://www.tributewtc.org/index.php and let us know if this is good? If not, I am sure someone will have a suggestion.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for taking the time to reply. We will most def have a look at that site. I just feel I want to be somewhere to pay my respects. I will never forget that fateful day as long as I live.... thanks again
Old Aug 16, 2009, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thank you for taking the time to reply. We will most def have a look at that site. I just feel I want to be somewhere to pay my respects. I will never forget that fateful day as long as I live.... thanks again
The WTC site is very much a construction zone now. You can see into it from several places surrounding the site with the best views from the west side in the World Financial Center (WFC). Other than that, the WTC Tribute center mentioned above is probably the best option, IMO. They have an audio tour that takes you over to the WFC and around the area in addition to having their bit on display inside the museum. Other than that I do not believe that there is much of a true memorial that has been built. The side of the fire department station #10, right next door to the Tribute site on the south side of the WTC property has a nice plaque and is probably the closest you'll get.

Farther west, over in Battery Park City, there is a police memorial that covers the entirety of the NYPD's history, not just that day, but it is quite moving as well. It is located at Liberty Street & South End Avenue, roughly here.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for your comments - and time to write

I dont know... I am shocked! almost 3000 people lost there lives. I kind of expected more. However I am not morbid and I guess things move on. Just really moved me today - So sad!!

thanks again xx
Old Aug 16, 2009, 5:22 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest

St. Paul's Chapel is a good place to pay respects and view a few exhibits.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Just about every firehouse in the city lost some firefighters. A total of 343 firefighters died that day.

A firehouse would be an interesting place to go and pay your respects. I know the firemen at whatever house you go to will appreciate it.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by sbm12
Farther west, over in Battery Park City, there is a police memorial that covers the entirety of the NYPD's history, not just that day, but it is quite moving as well. It is located at Liberty Street & South End Avenue, roughly here.
I'm impressed. Sad to say, I have a name on that tablet, a friend killed in the line of duty.

By the way, in the lobby of One Police Plaza, there are many bronze plaques that cover every single line of duty death including those that pre-dated the NYPD-Transit-Housing merger although unless you have an appointment in the building (for which you would have to pre-clear security outside) you probably cannot get to see them.

Instead, here's the complete list going back to 1849.

[Edited to add: 37 members of the Port Authority Police were also killed on 9/11. Their names are listed here.]

Last edited by Landing Gear; Aug 16, 2009 at 11:50 pm
Old Aug 17, 2009, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by cheepneezy
St. Paul's Chapel is a good place to pay respects and view a few exhibits.
I'm so glad that St Paul's maintains exhibits. St Paul's was a lifeline to those doing rescue and recovery. Volunteers worked 12 hour shifts from September until May 2002. It was VERY hard to get on the list to be a volunteer because so many people wanted to do something.

Thank you for your wonderful posts, sparkles822. If you really want a bird's eye view of aftermath of what the terrorists wrought, you might want to take the PATH train round trip from the World Trade Center. The PATH snakes around WTC site and it's startling to see what they did from that viewpoint as opposed to looking down into it from a sidewalk.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 9:22 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
[B]
........................God Bless New York, and God Bless America
+1 ^^
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, Marriott Titanium
I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but The Sphere at the NE corner of Battery Park has always had the most emotional meaning for me. It's the only piece I know of from the original WTC site that is still recognizable, although clearly damaged.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Without sounding morbid, as I am not that kind of person at all..... i have a keen interest in the events of 9/11. i was 17 at the time and ironically singing my heart out for a music exam that fateful day. The song - New York state of mind. I remember that day as clear as yesterday, sobbing for hours watching the footage. On Sunday when i watched 9.11 again, it reminded me of the evil that exists in our world. It also reminded me of the selfless hero's that risked there lives for people that day - Many losing there own to save others. I just feel that if that were my city, I would be so so proud. To win against terror, they want to divide, to destroy to spread hate..... BUT.... watching the people of NYC On september 11 and months after.....The only thing I could see was love!!!! LOVE FOR EVERY SINGLE VICTIM OF THAT DISASTER AND LOVE FOR THERE COUNTRY!!!!

TERRORISM WILL NEVER EVER DESTROY THAT...

Thank you, everyone for your suggestions, I really really like the idea of the fire stations as that is something i know would show these men/women just how admired they are. Myself as a nurse I know what these people do every single day.... 9/11 was just, i guess, what they are trained to do. By god they did it well....

Anyways enough of me being all deep here, as you can see this is something I feel quite strongly on... I will def be taking every suggestion into account. I am soooo looking forward to christmas in NYC this year, but one thing is for sure - when i raise my glass this year - THERE WILL BE AT LEAST 3000 people I will be saying a silent prayer for

xx
Old Aug 17, 2009, 7:53 pm

Without sounding morbid, as I am not that kind of person at all..... i have a keen interest in the events of 9/11. i was 17 at the time and ironically singing my heart out for a music exam that fateful day. The song - New York state of mind. I remember that day as clear as yesterday, sobbing for hours watching the footage. On Sunday when i watched 9.11 again, it reminded me of the evil that exists in our world. It also reminded me of the selfless hero's that risked there lives for people that day - Many losing there own to save others. I just feel that if that were my city, I would be so so proud. To win against terror, they want to divide, to destroy to spread hate..... BUT.... watching the people of NYC On september 11 and months after.....The only thing I could see was love!!!! LOVE FOR EVERY SINGLE VICTIM OF THAT DISASTER AND LOVE FOR THERE COUNTRY!!!!

TERRORISM WILL NEVER EVER DESTROY THAT...
All of the above, your observances are as accurate as can be. ^ That song you sang for a "musical exam"....how nice to see Billy Joel so elevated in academia! I love love love Billy Joel! (I just don't want to be in a car near him when he's driving....)

Thank you, everyone for your suggestions, I really really like the idea of the fire stations as that is something i know would show these men/women just how admired they are. Myself as a nurse I know what these people do every single day.... 9/11 was just, i guess, what they are trained to do. By god they did it well....

Anyways enough of me being all deep here, as you can see this is something I feel quite strongly on... I will def be taking every suggestion into account. I am soooo looking forward to christmas in NYC this year, but one thing is for sure - when i raise my glass this year - THERE WILL BE AT LEAST 3000 people I will be saying a silent prayer for

xx
Wonderful, just wonderful.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by monster
I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but The Sphere at the NE corner of Battery Park has always had the most emotional meaning for me. It's the only piece I know of from the original WTC site that is still recognizable, although clearly damaged.
I keep forgetting to post about this...there is one other bit that I know of that survived, though it is blocked off now and I don't know what will become of it. The floor and the doors from the southern end of the E train station that used to go directly into the lower shopping concourse of the WTC site were still intact for several months while that area was used as the connection between the subway and the PATH trains. They blocked it off when they moved the PATH entrance and I do not know what's happening there now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.