Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic > New York City
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 15, 10, 4:53 pm   #16
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NYC
Programs: DL GM/SC/RW/GE
Posts: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspira View Post
In short, I am very happy with FiOS and would not switch back. The equivalent services from the cable company are inferior.
Exactly one week ago, I switched from RCN to FIOS and am very happy as well.
ShopAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 10, 11:45 am   #17
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Formerly HPN, but now DCA and IAD
Programs: UA Silver, US, DL, AA, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton, Starwood, Membership Rewards
Posts: 8,363
I wonder how many are switching from Cablevision to FiOS or DBS as a result of the Fox debacle. I guess if the Yanks lose today, that will give folks one less reason to switch.
dchristiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 10, 2:43 pm   #18
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: SEA
Programs: AS, HH, MR elite. Fly AS/DL/AA. Fmr UA Plat, now Silver, soon Dirt. Also B6, BA, WN, VX, Hyatt.
Posts: 15,469
I don't have TWC to compare it to, specifically, but I dropped Dish Network for Verizon FiOS about 18 months ago and FiOS delivers the best TV picture quality I have ever had from a provider, plus the best Internet throughput. Nobody else comes close.
__________________
United: lowest-ranked major airline in new Airline Quality Ratings, tied for last in JD Power rankings. You're doing a heckuva job, Jeffie.
BearX220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 10, 3:00 pm   #19
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Posts: 13,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchristiva View Post
I wonder how many are switching from Cablevision to FiOS or DBS as a result of the Fox debacle. I guess if the Yanks lose today, that will give folks one less reason to switch.
I received a letter in the mail with an introductory offer (as I do almost weekly) to FIOS. I'm going to call them and make the change from Cablevision.
__________________
My grandson, PinStripeFlyer, was born August 21. I'm sure Jason will bleed Yankee blue, and eventually fly in the forward cabin.
dhammer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 10, 4:52 pm   #20
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: New York, NY USA
Posts: 51,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchristiva View Post
I wonder how many are switching from Cablevision to FiOS or DBS as a result of the Fox debacle. I guess if the Yanks lose today, that will give folks one less reason to switch.
If Verizon were smart, it would take advantage of this opportunity. If the Yankees win or not, it won't change the fact that Cablevision customers can't watch the Giants and other NFC football on their local Fox station.
__________________
Choose wisely; treat kindly
Analise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 10, 10:02 am   #21
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Formerly HPN, but now DCA and IAD
Programs: UA Silver, US, DL, AA, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton, Starwood, Membership Rewards
Posts: 8,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analise View Post
If Verizon were smart, it would take advantage of this opportunity. If the Yankees win or not, it won't change the fact that Cablevision customers can't watch the Giants and other NFC football on their local Fox station.
True, but there are a few other options (over the air, for instance). I agree that it's odd that FiOS doesn't seem to be "seizing the moment". As dhammer53 said, they do send weekly mailings out around our neighborhood though. Maybe they think that's enough. I'm still a huge fan of DTV, though, and use them for my TV service while going with FiOS for phone and internet.
dchristiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 10, 10:52 am   #22
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by themicah View Post
Some people really, really love NY1. I'm not sure why, but they do.
On an average basis, NY1 can be really lightweight; stories repeated every 30 minutes, background video from whatever was in the archives, lots of fluff stories. Where it IS useful is when a major NYC story occurs; they'll cover it for hours without worrying about losings ratings for soap operas, talk shows or sporting events.
cbastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 10, 12:30 pm   #23
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: New York, NY USA
Posts: 51,311
Because NY1 repeats itself, I find that I can't even get an accurate weather information. The only part of NY1 that I watch is the "In the Papers" segment.
__________________
Choose wisely; treat kindly
Analise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 10, 12:37 pm   #24
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Programs: Base Members: American AAdvantage & Delta Skymiles
Posts: 11
If your a Knicks, Rangers, Islanders or Devils fan, be aware that Fios does not have MSG in HD. Don't know the details why but I am just speculating that it has to do with Cablevision. With regards to NY1, Fios has been implementing Fios 1 news, which is shown in Long Island. I think they are trying to do the same for the 5 boros
ACruzBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 10, 2:13 pm   #25
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACruzBlizzard View Post
If your a Knicks, Rangers, Islanders or Devils fan, be aware that Fios does not have MSG in HD. Don't know the details why but I am just speculating that it has to do with Cablevision.
Your speculation is correct. Cablevision owns MSG, so they don't let FIOS carry MSG HD to give themselves a competitive edge.
themicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 10, 3:32 pm   #26
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: New York, NY USA
Posts: 51,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by themicah View Post
Your speculation is correct. Cablevision owns MSG, so they don't let FIOS carry MSG HD to give themselves a competitive edge.
Why can DirectTV get MSG in HD out on cablevision land?
__________________
Choose wisely; treat kindly
Analise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 10, 3:53 pm   #27
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analise View Post
Why can DirectTV get MSG in HD out on cablevision land?
I don't know. Maybe Cablevision doesn't see DirecTV as such a direct threat?
themicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 10, 10:29 pm   #28
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York City/NY22
Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Posts: 5,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACruzBlizzard View Post
Fios has been implementing Fios 1 news, which is shown in Long Island. I think they are trying to do the same for the 5 boros
Never heard of Fios 1 News. Moreover, have never seen a live truck or camera crew with their logo, if they have one.

Can you describe the programming? Are they competing with News 12 Long Island?
Landing Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 10, 2:19 pm   #29
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Programs: Base Members: American AAdvantage & Delta Skymiles
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landing Gear View Post
Never heard of Fios 1 News. Moreover, have never seen a live truck or camera crew with their logo, if they have one.

Can you describe the programming? Are they competing with News 12 Long Island?
To be honest, I have no idea of the actual content since I live in Queens and frankly don't know anyone with fios in LI. I would assume they are in direct competition with News 12 and it seems they also have a separate service with New Jersey and Washington, DC. Here is their website: http://fios1news.com
ACruzBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 10, 3:17 pm   #30
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York City/NY22
Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Posts: 5,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACruzBlizzard View Post
To be honest, I have no idea of the actual content since I live in Queens and frankly don't know anyone with fios in LI. I would assume they are in direct competition with News 12 and it seems they also have a separate service with New Jersey and Washington, DC. Here is their website: http://fios1news.com
Thanks for the link. What I see there looks like News 12 Brooklyn, a station that's really "low rent." While they do indeed sent crews out to cover the news, it's hilarious to watch some 24 year old from Ohio talk about "our borough" from their studio located in The Bronx.

Yes, that's right. News 12 Brooklyn is broadcast from The Bronx.
Landing Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:35 pm.