Search

New York City Neighborhood Location Maps

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:21 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
New York City Neighborhood Location Maps

I was looking for a track map of the tracks under Grand Central and came across this pretty decent map showing where all the neighborhoods in and around NYC are located

http://www.richegreen.com/NeighborhoodMaps20080216.pdf

Bounding streets would have been nice, but it's still a good resource.

His train track maps (very detailed) of the train tracks in and around the city are also available at http://www.richegreen.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

See also these maps posted by jerry a. laska in Post #21:

NYC Department of City Planning Neighborhood Map
NYC GIS Map

dstan
NYC Forum Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Oct 18, 2009 at 5:21 pm
Old Feb 24, 2009, 9:18 pm

Interesting. In a lot of years in NYC I've never heard a single person use the phrase "two bridges" though. Including a friend that lived smack in the middle of that area on the map. That's the lower east side last I checked, mostly including parts of Chinatown, or the Seaport area, depending on where those lines are exactly. But it's subjective I guess. Though it's not subjective that Chinatown runs well under the Manhattan bridge. If every single storefront has only Chinese characters, that's a pretty good sign. He should have gone for Five Points if he wanted to be creative.

But the real crime is calling Hells Kitchen "Clinton" which is common to taxi cab stickers and... well... basically nothing else.

But it's interesting.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:24 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Great find, cordelli, thanks!

Originally Posted by c_stanley
But the real crime is calling Hells Kitchen "Clinton" which is common to taxi cab stickers and... well... basically nothing else.
I once met a guy who was adamant that it be called Clinton and was quite offended when I kept calling 'his' neighborhood Hell's Kitchen
Old Feb 26, 2009, 3:23 am
ACB

I agree that it would be nice to have the boundary streets. I've never heard of Blissville but it sounds lovely. :-)
Old Mar 1, 2009, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This map is funny. As far as Manhattan goes:

"Two Bridges" - Never heard of it.
"Rose Hill" - Never heard of this, either.
"Clinton" - It's still called Hell's Kitchen.
"Manhattan Valley" - Never heard of it.
"Yorkville" - It's still called the Upper East Side.
"Civic Center" - What?? It's probably part of Chinatown, or Tribeca.

et cetera...
Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:13 pm

"Two Bridges" - I've heard of it somewhere, but it's definitely not used
"Rose Hill" - OK. I haven't heard of this one either
"Clinton" - It's Hell's Kitchen now, but it was Clinton for quite a while (or at least it tried to be Clinton) in the second half of the 20th century (Hell's Kitchen before that)
"Manhattan Valley" - This one's real. It's not well known, but that little chunk of the UWS is quite distinct from its surrounding neighborhoods (it's much more similar to Harlem than to most of the rest of the UWS).
"Yorkville" - Yorkville is also real. You could say it (and Carnegie Hill and Lenox Hill) are all part of the UES, but they're more specific areas of the UES, whereas the part marked UES on the map is the real core of the UES.
"Civic Center" - This area is all courthouses and government offices. It's not really Tribeca (which is upscale residential-post-industrial) or Chinatown (which is all Chinese bustle). Although I also haven't really heard folks call it Two Bridges.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, Yorkville's real but honestly I've never heard the term used in conversation. Same with Civic Center.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:20 pm

I live in "Rose Hill"..... first time I heard about it was about 2 years ago when some people in the neighborhood were trying to re-brand the area. Seems like we are the only area of Manhattan that appears as a nameless square in the cab maps, so apparently there was a push to find a nice name to use. We are never sure what to say: north of Gramercy park; Murray Hill, Flatiron.... none of these are really where we live.
Rose Hill does have some historical accuracy since it was a name used to the area ages ago, but of course nobody ever uses it today.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by uvnyc
I live in "Rose Hill"..... first time I heard about it was about 2 years ago when some people in the neighborhood were trying to re-brand the area. Seems like we are the only area of Manhattan that appears as a nameless square in the cab maps, so apparently there was a push to find a nice name to use. We are never sure what to say: north of Gramercy park; Murray Hill, Flatiron.... none of these are really where we live.
Rose Hill does have some historical accuracy since it was a name used to the area ages ago, but of course nobody ever uses it today.
Two years ago or ten years ago?
Old Mar 2, 2009, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by themicah
Two years ago or ten years ago?
I'm guessing the answer is the former.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by nerd
Yes, Yorkville's real but honestly I've never heard the term used in conversation.
Where are you from?

I've been hearing it since I was a kid.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Where are you from?

I've been hearing it since I was a kid.
I know the term of course, but I have never heard it used in conversation. My friends who live and/or hang out there will refer to their apartment or a bar/restaurant as being on the UES, never as being in Yorkville...
Old Mar 4, 2009, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I know the term of course, but I have never heard it used in conversation. My friends who live and/or hang out there will refer to their apartment or a bar/restaurant as being on the UES, never as being in Yorkville...
What we have left of the German flavor of Yorkville is just Heidelberg and Schaller & Weber.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
This map is funny. As far as Manhattan goes:

"Two Bridges" - Never heard of it.
"Rose Hill" - Never heard of this, either.
"Clinton" - It's still called Hell's Kitchen.
"Manhattan Valley" - Never heard of it.
"Yorkville" - It's still called the Upper East Side.
"Civic Center" - What?? It's probably part of Chinatown, or Tribeca.

et cetera...
Originally Posted by themicah
"Two Bridges" - I've heard of it somewhere, but it's definitely not used
"Rose Hill" - OK. I haven't heard of this one either
"Clinton" - It's Hell's Kitchen now, but it was Clinton for quite a while (or at least it tried to be Clinton) in the second half of the 20th century (Hell's Kitchen before that)
"Manhattan Valley" - This one's real. It's not well known, but that little chunk of the UWS is quite distinct from its surrounding neighborhoods (it's much more similar to Harlem than to most of the rest of the UWS).
"Yorkville" - Yorkville is also real. You could say it (and Carnegie Hill and Lenox Hill) are all part of the UES, but they're more specific areas of the UES, whereas the part marked UES on the map is the real core of the UES.
"Civic Center" - This area is all courthouses and government offices. It's not really Tribeca (which is upscale residential-post-industrial) or Chinatown (which is all Chinese bustle). Although I also haven't really heard folks call it Two Bridges.
Originally Posted by uvnyc
It's all about "gentrification", especially in Manhattn. Manhattan Valley, Hamilton Heights, Sugar Hill, Manhattanville and Morningside Height are neighborhoods in Harlem. Period!

These name changes are strictly to create "districts" to make the area more marketable and "safe".
Old Mar 8, 2009, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Analise
What we have left of the German flavor of Yorkville is just Heidelberg and Schaller & Weber.
Yorkville was also Hungarian, although to a lesser extent. Again, not many shops left. It's where my dad grew up--believe me, he's from Yorkville, not from the Upper East Side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.