Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic > New York City
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 3, 08, 3:22 pm   #1
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: El Paso, TX, USA
Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Posts: 32,383
Question Driving from Philadelphia to NYC, best route

I am planning on driving from Philly, actually, Sesame Place to Manhattan on Sunday July 6th at about 5:00 p.m.

I did a mapquest, and it's telling me it should take 1:30 minutes, but people tell me that the turnpike is going to be murder on a Holiday weekend.

I already have a reservation at the Waldorf, so spending the night close to Sesame place is not an option

What is the best route to take?
__________________
I'm only here to annoy you.
jfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 08, 4:38 pm   #2
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 61,794
Best route is the NJ Turnpike and then listen to AM 1010 or 660 and listen to figure out which tunnel has the least traffic. Traffic will be heavy and it will take a bit of time, but there isn't much you can do about it.
sbm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 08, 4:52 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH DIAMOND..AVIS FIRST
Posts: 654
Sunday night of a holiday weekend in the summer, going North. "Murder" is an understatement.
IMStill4Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 08, 5:46 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Posts: 13,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfe View Post
Sunday July 6th at about 5:00 p.m.

I did a mapquest, and it's telling me it should take 1:30 minutes
1:30 in the best of times.
3 hours on Sunday.
Think about taking the train if possible.

Hasn't Omni taught you anything?

You have a PM.
__________________
My grandson, PinStripeFlyer, was born August 21. I'm sure Jason will bleed Yankee blue, and eventually fly in the forward cabin.
dhammer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 08, 8:24 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PHL, EWR
Programs: UA; AA;AGR;HH Gold;Hyatt Plat;Hertz Gold 5*;National Executive; Johnnie Walker Gold
Posts: 1,389
If you are departing from the Sesame place area of the Philly suburbs, you may also consider taking I95 north to route 1 and then take route 1 north through NJ (passing through Trenton, Princeton, New Brunswick and Edison) and then hook up with the NJ turnpike via 287 or the Garden State parkway in northern NJ.

While route 1 has traffic lights, they are pretty well timed and unless the traffic is really bad, you can usually cruise along at a pretty good clip. You would avoid the shore tie-ups taking this route. I drive between Philly and northern NJ on a quasi-regular basis and frequently take this route as an alternative to the turnpike. Surprisingly enough, there is not a huge time difference between the two routes (if the turnpike isn't backed up).
__________________
http://my.flightmemory.com/rittenhousesq
R.I.P. United Airlines. April 5, 1926 - March 2, 2012.
rittenhousesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 08, 8:24 pm   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore AAAH
Posts: 10,315
You plan on leaving Sesame Place at 5pm. Dude change the res at the Waldorf to Monday. Seriously, that will be primetime, and not in a good way. Turnpike > Lincoln is your best shot, but listen to 1010 & 880. 660 is the sports station and doesn't have updates as often..

I'm sure dhammer offered you even more specifics.

Good Luck, I don''t now what would be worse Sesame Place on a Sunday or the traffic afterwards.
Dugernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 08, 8:33 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DCA
Programs: UA Gold
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq View Post
If you are departing from the Sesame place area of the Philly suburbs, you may also consider taking I95 north to route 1 and then take route 1 north through NJ (passing through Trenton, Princeton, New Brunswick and Edison) and then hook up with the NJ turnpike via 287 or the Garden State parkway in northern NJ.

While route 1 has traffic lights, they are pretty well timed and unless the traffic is really bad, you can usually cruise along at a pretty good clip. You would avoid the shore tie-ups taking this route. I drive between Philly and northern NJ on a quasi-regular basis and frequently take this route as an alternative to the turnpike. Surprisingly enough, there is not a huge time difference between the two routes (if the turnpike isn't backed up).
I second the motion, with one modification: Cut over from US 1 to the TP via NJ 18 South in New Brunwick.
discoverCSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 08, 8:36 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: Marriott Plat, EZ Pass, Back of the Plane Platinum
Posts: 4,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfe View Post
What is the best route to take?
Amtrak?
bitburgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 08, 8:45 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PHL, EWR
Programs: UA; AA;AGR;HH Gold;Hyatt Plat;Hertz Gold 5*;National Executive; Johnnie Walker Gold
Posts: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverCSG View Post
I second the motion, with one modification: Cut over from US 1 to the TP via NJ 18 South in New Brunwick.
Thanks, that was the one segment I wasn't sure about since I usually continue north on the Garden State parkway (my final destination is West Orange NJ) and have never tried to reconnect with the turnpike.
__________________
http://my.flightmemory.com/rittenhousesq
R.I.P. United Airlines. April 5, 1926 - March 2, 2012.
rittenhousesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 08, 9:11 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Formerly HPN, but now DCA and IAD
Programs: UA Silver, US, DL, AA, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton, Starwood, Membership Rewards
Posts: 8,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfe View Post
I am planning on driving from Philly, actually, Sesame Place to Manhattan on Sunday July 6th at about 5:00 p.m.

I did a mapquest, and it's telling me it should take 1:30 minutes, but people tell me that the turnpike is going to be murder on a Holiday weekend.

I already have a reservation at the Waldorf, so spending the night close to Sesame place is not an option

What is the best route to take?
You have my sympathy. As others have stated, be prepared for the absolute worst. The alternative to the NJ Turnpike provided in other posts would be my recommendation, too. But make sure you hit the head before you get in your car. It could be a very long time before you get out of your car again.
dchristiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 08, 12:49 pm   #11
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: New York, NY USA
Posts: 51,311
Rt 1 isn't always a joy either. Here's an alternative. Take 95 in PA from Sesame Place and cross into NJ. A mile or so into NJ, 95 North becomes 295 South. Don't worry about that. Take the exit for 206 North. Yes, it's a country road but it's a state road and you might move more quickly than Rt 1 or even the Turnpike. Take 206 North and follow it until you get to Rt 287 North -- about 15 miles. Take 287 North to Rt 78 East. Then start listening to 880AM on the 8s, 1010AM on the 1s and 1130AM on the 5s for traffic reports. If there is a Yankee game while you're driving, forget the traffic reports on 880. There is also 101.5FM which has traffic at :03, :18, :33, and :48 after the hour.
__________________
Choose wisely; treat kindly
Analise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 08, 4:47 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NJ, Bay Area CA
Programs: CO Plat
Posts: 115
From Sesame Place take
-Oxford Valley Rd North to
-Route 1 North
-Cross into NJ
-Take Rt 1 North to New Brunswick
-Exit onto Rt 18 South for about 3/4 mile to the entrance to NJ TPK
-Get on NJ TPK North to Lincoln Tunnel

This is by far the most direct and fastest route having driven this probably around 100 times or so. As it is Sunday you should be fine on Rte 1. Since it's a holiday weekend, you may have some traffic on the Turnpike and at the tunnel. Generally traffic above exit 9 moves well. I would take the truck lanes to minimize any traffic. There are very few trucks on Sundays.
rt1flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 08, 8:57 pm   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Posts: 13,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt1flea View Post
I would take the truck lanes to minimize any traffic. There are very few trucks on Sundays.
Can you please edit this. It's a a major secret.
dhammer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 08, 8:01 am   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore AAAH
Posts: 10,315
Based on today's weather and the forecast for tomorrow, traffic might not be so bad. I think people are cutting short their trips to the shore or other outdoor adventures.

Good Luck and post a NJ turnpike trip report!
Dugernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 08, 11:55 am   #15
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York, London, Sydney
Programs: United GS/MM, DL*P, VS*G, US*C, AA*G, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*G
Posts: 9,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt1flea View Post
From Sesame Place take
-Oxford Valley Rd North to
-Route 1 North
-Cross into NJ
-Take Rt 1 North to New Brunswick
-Exit onto Rt 18 South for about 3/4 mile to the entrance to NJ TPK
-Get on NJ TPK North to Lincoln Tunnel

This is by far the most direct and fastest route having driven this probably around 100 times or so. As it is Sunday you should be fine on Rte 1. Since it's a holiday weekend, you may have some traffic on the Turnpike and at the tunnel. Generally traffic above exit 9 moves well. I would take the truck lanes to minimize any traffic. There are very few trucks on Sundays.
NO, no, not 78! With the construction there now plus traffic, I advised a friend to do this route a few months ago and it took him HOURS.
stevenshev is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:32 am.