Baggage storage in NYC?

Subscribe
Hello,

I want to spend a few hours in Manhattan while transiting between EWR and JFK and am not sure what to do with my carryon-sized baggage. I will arrive at EWR in the morning and leave from JFK in the evening of the same day. As I understand it, there are no longer any baggage lockers in NYC. I also couldn't find any other storage facility on the Internet, except in JFK terminals 1 and 4.

What can I do with the baggage?

So far, the options I found are:
  • Go from EWR to JFK immediately after arrival, use the bag storage there and go back to Manhattan. I suppose I would lose 2 hours doing that (using LIRR).
  • Rent a hotel room with the sole purpose of having the hotel store my baggage (I am not staying overnight)
  • Bribe a bellboy to store my bag without being a hotel guest. (Would I ever see my bag again? If the bellboy does his job properly, would this land me behind bars?)

Are there better options? Is it possible to have the bag stored at a museum (I will most likely visit MoMa)?

Are there any delivery services that would deliver my bag from EWR to JFK on the same day?

Thanks for any help!
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

The Amtrak baggage office at Penn Station Manhattan offers parcel checking for $4.50/piece/day, but they require either an Amtrak or NJ Transit rail ticket. If you are taking NJ Transit into NYC from EWR, make sure that you do not overpay. You can purchase the transportation for $11.00 total (and end up with a punched train ticket) by following the instructions found at www.flyerguide.com. If the Amtrak baggage office will not accept your used train ticket, you can always invest $3 or $4 in a cheap (non-refundable) NJ Transit ticket from NYC to Secaucus or Newark Penn Station.
The waldrof has it on their lower level, they don't care if you are staying there or not. If you are coming in from the park ave side, go to the right and down towards the garage. I think there are signs, not sure.

No clue on this company, found them with a google, may be worth a call:

Rent-A-Locker is located at 147 W. 35th street, between 7th Avenue and Broadway Avenue, close to Times Square, Herald Square, Empire State Building, Macy's, Manhattan Mall, Madison Square Garden, Penn Station and Port Authority.

hours are 8am to 11pm 7 days a week. call 212-947-0026 or visit www.jsrentalocker.co.m for more information.

Their website says $10 a day, open 9 to 6
Since when did hotels have a policy that you have to be a guest to check a bag with them? I've never heard of such a thing actually being enforced.

Regarding trying to check it at MoMa, that would seem to be a non-starter:
Quote:
Checkroom

All bags are subject to security inspection before entering the Museum. The Museum requires visitors to check backpacks of any size, shopping bags, and bags 11 x 14 inches (28 x 35.5 cm) or larger. To avoid a lengthy wait in the checkroom line, visitors should not bring such items. The checkroom will not accept laptops or luggage of any size. The Museum reserves the right to refuse other items and is not responsible for items held by the checkroom.
Thanks!
Great to know.

Quote: The waldrof has it on their lower level, they don't care if you are staying there or not. If you are coming in from the park ave side, go to the right and down towards the garage. I think there are signs, not sure.

No clue on this company, found them with a google, may be worth a call:

Rent-A-Locker is located at 147 W. 35th street, between 7th Avenue and Broadway Avenue, close to Times Square, Herald Square, Empire State Building, Macy's, Manhattan Mall, Madison Square Garden, Penn Station and Port Authority.

hours are 8am to 11pm 7 days a week. call 212-947-0026 or visit www.jsrentalocker.co.m for more information.

Their website says $10 a day, open 9 to 6
Thanks for the suggestions! Seems the Amtrak baggage office at the Penn station is the way to go.
You could go to virtually any tourist hotel, and the bell staff would be happy to check your bag for you. I've never known them to check to see if you are a guest, and am not sure why they would care; they work for tips, after all.
You could look for a storage location around the touristy parts of Manhattan (Penn station, Times Sq., Columbus circle, etc.) on Vertoe (https://vertoe.com)

Right now their website gives following locations

Near Penn station
334 West 37th Street, New York, NY 10018, New York City
357 7th Ave New York NY 10001, New York City

Times sq./Port Authority Bus Terminal
580 8th Ave New York NY 10018 , New York City
799 8th Ave, New York, NY 10019 , New York City

I recently stored 3 bags for 2 days ... and it was nice ... so a good service to use
You could look for a storage location around the touristy parts of Manhattan (Penn station, Times Sq., Columbus circle, etc.) on Vertoe (https://vertoe.com)

Right now there website gives following locations

Near Penn station
334 West 37th Street, New York, NY 10018, New York City
357 7th Ave New York NY 10001, New York City

Times sq./Port Authority Bus Terminal
580 8th Ave New York NY 10018 , New York City
799 8th Ave, New York, NY 10019 , New York City

I recently stored 3 bags for 2 days ... and it was nice ... so a good service to use
Quote: I recently stored 3 bags for 2 days ... and it was nice ... so a good service to use
It must have been, for you to dig up four very old threads to post about them.