Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Baggage storage @ Penn Station

Old Oct 28, 2011, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold

Flying into JFK on Dec 31st and want to watch New Year's Eve at Times Square, etc. No point in checking into an expensive hotel for s couple of hours of sleep. Have a Greyhound non-refundable ticket leaving the morning of the 1st so can sleep on the bus.

Is there overnight storage for a bag (bags) at the Penn Station bus depot? If so, how much?
Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:03 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...l#post12833384
Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:04 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Do you mean Port Authority Bus Terminal (or Penn Station)?
Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tmac100
Is there overnight storage for a bag (bags) at the Penn Station bus depot? If so, how much?
The only Penn Station in this metropolitan area that has a bus depot is in Newark, NJ. I assume you mean the Port Authority Bus Terminal?
Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
The only Penn Station in this metropolitan area that has a bus depot is in Newark, NJ. I assume you mean the Port Authority Bus Terminal?
When I go to www.greyhound.ca or .com and click on the NEON bus button, the destination menu has Toronto (origin and final destination) and New York Penn STA (origin of the return trip).

I assume (and correct me if I am wrong) that greyhound buses arrive there and leave from there. I assume that occurs at a bus depot. Or is it a bus terminal (as in airport terminal)?

PLEASE remember that this is New Year\s Eve and the bags must be picked up before the bus leaves @ 8ish am on January 1st. The regular "shopping days" schedules won't apply at all in this case.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:07 am

When I go to www.greyhound.ca or .com and click on the NEON bus button, the destination menu has Toronto (origin and final destination) and New York Penn STA (origin of the return trip).
Wow, some buses DO stop somewhere near Penn Station after leaving the PA. I didn't know that. I just looked at a sample and saw a 20 minute "layover" a mere few blocks away at Penn. Wow, what a waste of time.

I assume (and correct me if I am wrong) that greyhound buses arrive there and leave from there. I assume that occurs at a bus depot. Or is it a bus terminal (as in airport terminal)?
Most don't.

PLEASE remember that this is New Year\s Eve and the bags must be picked up before the bus leaves @ 8ish am on January 1st.
I just looked at the schedule and I'm guessing you mean the bus that leaves the PA at 7am and then leaves Penn at 7:30. At that hour, the bus will arrive about 5 minutes after it leaves the PA. Find out from Greyhound where the bus stop at Penn is.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:15 pm

To be clear, the Port Authority Bus Terminal is the main bus station in NYC where most Greyhounds (and most other traditional intercity buses) arrive/depart.

Penn Station is just a few blocks south of the Port Authority and is an underground train station (it's the main station for Amtrak as well as two of the three major commuter lines). A lot of the new-school intercity bus companies like Boltbus, Megabus and some of the independent Chinese and Jewish bus companies pick and up and discharge passengers on the streets surrounding Penn Station, but there isn't a formal bus depot or terminal of any sort there.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phlashba
Do you mean Port Authority Bus Terminal (or Penn Station)?
After reading the responses, AND looking at the Greyhound destinations menu again I decided to Skype someone in Toronto who took the Greyhound Neon bus to NYC and then returned to Toronto.

According to my conversation, the bus arrives at the Port Authority and leaves from there also. Yes, they have baggage storage too.

Problem solved. Thanks for your input.. ^
Old Oct 28, 2011, 3:45 pm

After reading the responses, AND looking at the Greyhound destinations menu again I decided to Skype someone in Toronto who took the Greyhound Neon bus to NYC and then returned to Toronto.

According to my conversation, the bus arrives at the Port Authority and leaves from there also. Yes, they have baggage storage too.
You could have seen that from link you provided. All buses from NYC depart from the PA.

Where did your friend say the baggage storage at the PA is? According to their website:

Baggage Storage

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey does not provide baggage storage facilities at the bus terminal.
http://www.panynj.gov/bus-terminals/pabt-services.html
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
You could have seen that from link you provided. All buses from NYC depart from the PA.

Where did your friend say the baggage storage at the PA is? According to their website:

http://www.panynj.gov/bus-terminals/pabt-services.html
As I mentioned before, the Neon Greyhound bus menu (both .ca and .com versions) show New York Penn STA. Nothing else = as in no PA

As far as the PA website goes, my friend (s actually because they are my sons) stated they walked past the baggage storage facility at the Port Authority. But that was in July and August 2010 when they were flying from and into JFK.

Things change
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"As I mentioned before, the Neon Greyhound bus menu (both .ca and .com versions) show New York Penn STA. Nothing else = as in no PA"

When I click on the Neon link from the Greyhound page, the drop-down menu has two listings for New York: "New York," and "New York Penn STA." From which stop is your ticket valid?

The Amtrak Baggage Service office offers temporary baggage checking at the rate of $4.50/bag/day, but might require you to present an Amtrak or NJ Transit train ticket to use the service. If your bus ticket is only valid from the Neon Penn Station pick-up point, I would try to check the bag with Amtrak. If the clerk insists on a train ticket, ask if an NJ Transit rail ticket is acceptable. The cheapest adult-fare NJ Transit rail ticket is one to "Secaucus Junction," which I believe costs $4.25; a senior citizen/disabled ticket should cost about half that. NJ Transit one-way rail tickets are non-refundable, but they never expire.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"As I mentioned before, the Neon Greyhound bus menu (both .ca and .com versions) show New York Penn STA. Nothing else = as in no PA"

When I click on the Neon link from the Greyhound page, the drop-down menu has two listings for New York: "New York," and "New York Penn STA." From which stop is your ticket valid?

The Amtrak Baggage Service office offers temporary baggage checking at the rate of $4.50/bag/day, but might require you to present an Amtrak or NJ Transit train ticket to use the service. If your bus ticket is only valid from the Neon Penn Station pick-up point, I would try to check the bag with Amtrak. If the clerk insists on a train ticket, ask if an NJ Transit rail ticket is acceptable. The cheapest adult-fare NJ Transit rail ticket is one to "Secaucus Junction," which I believe costs $4.25; a senior citizen/disabled ticket should cost about half that. NJ Transit one-way rail tickets are non-refundable, but they never expire.
Yes, you do mention both listings BUT, no PA.

Thanks for the Amtrack temporary baggage check in suggestion. Do you know when they will be closed on Dec 31st and when they open on Jan 1st? A link, perhaps? Your NJ transit ticket for $4.25 would solve the "ticket" issue nicely. Thanks ^

Last edited by tmac100; Oct 29, 2011 at 1:44 am
Old Oct 29, 2011, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Greyhound's "New York" location is the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Greyhound's "New York Penn STA" location is a street location near Penn Station.

I believe that the Amtrak Baggage Service office at Penn Station is open every day from about 5:30 AM until about 9:30 PM. If you visit amtrak.com and click on station information for New York, you might find exact times listed there.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 7:54 am

As I mentioned before, the Neon Greyhound bus menu (both .ca and .com versions) show New York Penn STA. Nothing else = as in no PA
Sure it does. Take a look at the website again and plug in January 1 and the "Leaving from" as "New York". The origination of every single bus beginning here in NYC is the Port Authority as the list shows you. When it says "New York", that IS the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

As far as the PA website goes, my friend (s actually because they are my sons) stated they walked past the baggage storage facility at the Port Authority. But that was in July and August 2010 when they were flying from and into JFK.

Things change
...and that's why you come here because things change.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by guv1976

I agree -- AFAIK they won't check any bags at Penn Station without Amtrak or NJ Transit train tickets. I also don't believe there are any bag check options at PA. As noted previously check out this link OP for other options:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...l#post12833384

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.