Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

BBQ / Barbecue Restaurants in NYC (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BBQ / Barbecue Restaurants in NYC (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum/UAPremier Gold/IC Platinum
Texas BBQ in NY--Hill Country?

Has anyone been to a relatively new restaurant in NY City called Hill Country? If so, would appreciate your opinions and what u think of the prices, service, ambiance, etc. TIA

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

This thread was assembled in 2010 from two related threads. For two older threads dating back to 2003, see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...-best-bbq.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...es-square.html

dstan
NYC Forum Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Dec 29, 2010 at 6:39 pm Reason: updated thread title and restored OP title
Old Jan 22, 2008, 2:04 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I use to work on the 9th floor of that building, when I saw it getting reviewed I thought "thank God we don't still work there, the smell would be either wonderful or driving us crazy".

It's gotten great reviews, and several of my co-workers have been back there more then once for the food. I believe the Times called it the best new BBQ restaurant in many years in the city.

I just haven't had the time to be in that neighborhood again to try it, but it's on the list.

I gather it's fairly informal, take a tray here and there and get this and that, the stuff is sold by the pound so you get as little or as much as you want.

But it's supposed to be very good from the people here who have been.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I ate dinner at Hill Country a few months ago after reading about it.

Editorial comment: If you want good BBQ in New York, bring it yourself.
To answer your question, eat at Virgils instead.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
Several of my friends and family have been here and they said it is the BEST Texas BBQ they have ever eaten. I am very excited as I will be trying it this Sat. night so I'll let you know after this Sat. BUT really, I have heard it is wonderful and all the reviews have been great.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
As a current NYer and former Houstonian I give:
Hill Country 3 out 10
Blue Smoke 2/10
Dinosaur 5/10 (for the wings more than the barbecue...theyre the best in the U.S. IMHO)

There is still no such things as actual Texas BBQ (or NC or MEM for that matter) in NYC
Old Jan 23, 2008, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by DrivingRain
As a current NYer and former Houstonian I give:
Hill Country 3 out 10
Blue Smoke 2/10
Dinosaur 5/10 (for the wings more than the barbecue...theyre the best in the U.S. IMHO)

There is still no such things as actual Texas BBQ (or NC or MEM for that matter) in NYC
Yea, but there is no good BBQ in Houston so what are you comparing them to

I will have to try this place. Virgils isnt bad, but nothing like Blacks or Iron Works to name a few in the Austin area.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 2:09 pm

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
I ate there last month, and must admit to being underwhelmed. I also read the reviews in advance, and I was hoping that the place would live up. Unfortunately, the answer is no.
The best meat items were the brisket and the chicken. They serve 2 types of brisket, we found the "fattier" brisket to be more flavorful and moist. The chicken was also very moist, and seasoned perfectly.
The ribs were a let down. Way too dry and tough. I also sampled one of the sausages...and was not impressed.

The sides varied in quality. Mac and cheese was good, corn pudding was exceptional, as were the deviled eggs. The baked beans were a letdown.

An earlier poster gave it 3 out of 10. You can cobble together a good meal if you stick with the advice given. If you go just for the ribs....I would give it a 2. If you do a brisket/chicken/eggs/corn pudding meal....I give it a 5 or 6.

Service is very hit or miss. As mentioned, you help yourself to the food at various counters. A waitress comes around for drink orders....but getting her attention was pretty tough at times.

At the end of the meal, you pay at a communal pay area. That was a turnoff, as the line was pretty long and slow moving.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Yea, but there is no good BBQ in Houston so what are you comparing them to

I will have to try this place. Virgils isnt bad, but nothing like Blacks or Iron Works to name a few in the Austin area.
Well, being a Houston native and an "every-other-weekend in Austin" person, I can say that Goode Company BBQ in Houston is some of the best BBQ you'll find in Texas.

In Austin, well, Iron Works is fine, but nothing compares to places like Kreuz Market in Lockhart and Louie Mueller in Taylor.

Basically, to get good BBQ, you have to get out of the city
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Well, being a Houston native and an "every-other-weekend in Austin" person, I can say that Goode Company BBQ in Houston is some of the best BBQ you'll find in Texas.

In Austin, well, Iron Works is fine, but nothing compares to places like Kreuz Market in Lockhart and Louie Mueller in Taylor.

Basically, to get good BBQ, you have to get out of the city
Yea, Lockhart was king when I was there, although I preferred Blacks. There was also a place called Salt Lick down near San Marcos I think that was superb. I may have to do a Q run. Basically, Bill Miller was better than any BBQ in NY.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Yea, Lockhart was king when I was there, although I preferred Blacks. There was also a place called Salt Lick down near San Marcos I think that was superb. I may have to do a Q run. Basically, Bill Miller was better than any BBQ in NY.
The Salt Lick is still there and still fantastic. I think Blacks has changed their recipe as I did not like it last time I was there. Iron Works still does it the way they used to and it shows.

If you make a Q run, let me know, I'll meet you in the Hill Country.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I like Salt Lick in Austin, but the best BBQ in North Texas is Wilson's in Ft Worth.

I don't eat BBQ when out of Texas as I am always disappointed.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 2:39 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Hartmann
You guys *are* aware that Hill Country imports the Kreuz sausages from Lockhart, yes?

I also quite like their pork ribs, mac & cheese, and chili. I'm not sure what tastes in BBQ those people have that dislike Hill Country. But I've also heard the pitmaster recently changed there - which may have had a recent impact.

Overall, and especially for NYC, it's darn good 'cue.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
I liked Hill Country as I found the atmosphere very friendly (free whiskey shots did not hurt)! The place does get packed, so it is advisable to put your name down early, and chill at/near the bar (they give you one of those buzzing paddles while you wait).

The food was good, I really liked the sausage and mac and cheese. I liked the moist brisket, but it sells out fast. I ended up paying for some of the lean stuff, but when I spied them cutting into some more brisket, I asked if it was the moist one and the guy gave me a good-sized chunk for free.

Overall, I thought the food was on the pricy side, but had a very good evening!
Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:12 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Good point, Neuron. I forgot to mention that is *is not* cheap! Be cautious in asking for your first meat portion so you get an idea.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:15 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
I have only been to Hill Country once when it first opened but I have been dying to go back. I thought the BBQ was very good and I have had my fair share in Memphis and all over Texas. Take reviews like 3/10 and "for good BBQ you need to leave NYC" with a grain of salt. The fact of the matter is that they get all their beef from the same ranches, employ the same top notch pit masters (I believe the current pit master won the Jack Daniels BBQ cookoff), and the owner is actually a native texan who takes his BBQ very seriously. You will have a great meal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.