Reload this Page >

LGA-JFK / JFK-LGA Airport Connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: headinclouds
All members are invited to contribute information and links to this wikipost.

This wikipost can be displayed or hidden using the square +/– button on the upper right.

For general information, see the Port Authority website: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/lga-airport-connections.html

Options for LGA-JFK and JFK-LGA connections
Print Wikipost

LGA-JFK / JFK-LGA Airport Connections

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 2P. Former DL FO in the Golden Age of Mileage Runs
It's not that bad.

Originally Posted by SJC AA
It won't be that much fun, but yes, play with Google Maps and you can get it to give you horrible routings like the Q3/Q10 to F to Q70. You will save a whopping $2.50 ($5, vs. $7.50 for Airtrain+E+Q70) and probably still have to take the Airtrain anyway (because the buses only stop near the Terminal 5 Airtrain station -- access via elevator from that station). I don't recommend it, unless you're really into slow buses.
Actually, if you are really in to saving a couple of bucks ($2.50 to be exact) it doesn't seem to be that bad. GTFS shows the AirTrain-E-Q70 route coming in around 56-58 minutes. With perfect transfers you could conceivably do it in 45.

With the Q10-E/F-Q70 you are trading the AirTrain for a local/limited bus, but with a couple advantages which get you back some time. The first is that from Jamaica to Roosevelt Ave is 17 minutes while from Kew Gardens it's only 10. The second is that from Kew Gardens you have service on both the E and F trains, so the headway drops from 4-6-10-20 minutes (rush-midday-evening/weekend-overnight) to 2-3-5-10. So that saves a couple minutes of waiting. Headways for the Q10 and Airtrain are similar.

Good luck trying to get Google Maps to show you that as it will default to the AirTrain routing. Try moving your start to the Lefferts Blvd parking lot stop on the AirTrain as this should give you this option, and then add about 10 minutes for the extra time from JFK. If you're at T5, just go and get the bus; if not, you can take the AirTrain for free to the Lefferts Blvd stop and change to the Q10 there (the Q10 Limited saves you 8 minutes from T5, so if it's running just behind the regular Q10 it's probably worth waiting for; less looping around JFK grounds).

GTFS says 1:01, so probably more like 1:11, although this builds in 22 minutes of transfer time (including 10 on a line which should have service every 3 minutes), so given perfect transfers you could make it in 50 minutes. In fact, if you just put in to Gmaps JFK to Kew Gardens, it says the bus and train are equal time, so really the only time you're losing is the Q70-E transfer (and since you're on the combined E/F there, you might get luckly and get an F). Of course, traffic, but outside of rush hour you're probably looking at 1:15, which really isn't too bad to save a couple of bucks and get a great tour of Queens.

If you're feeling particularly devious and find someone paying with cash getting on the bus (rare) and not requesting a bus-to-bus transfer, you could ask them for theirs (but would have to be quick on your feet and sitting by the driver to do so). Then use your MetroCard transfer to board the train, and their paper bus transfer to board the Q70 and do the whole trip for $2.50.

Anyway, being cheap I'd totally consider doing this if I had the time.

Schedules:

Q10
Q70
E Train
F Train
Queens bus map
Gmaps trip
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:10 pm

If you're willing to walk, you can bring it down to 1 fare of $2.50 (2 buses with a free transfer) by taking

--Q10 to Kew Gardens (last stop), walk 1 mile on Queens Blvd to Forest Hills, Q23 to just outside the airport (last stop), walk in to the airport (a little less than a mile by the roads you can take to the central terminal)
or
--Q10 to Kew Gardens, walk 2 miles on Queens Blvd to Rego Park, Q72 into the airport

I am not recommending you do this, but you can if you want to.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by NoName678
If you're willing to walk, you can bring it down to 1 fare of $2.50 (2 buses with a free transfer) by taking

--Q10 to Kew Gardens (last stop), walk 1 mile on Queens Blvd to Forest Hills, Q23 to just outside the airport (last stop), walk in to the airport (a little less than a mile by the roads you can take to the central terminal)
or
--Q10 to Kew Gardens, walk 2 miles on Queens Blvd to Rego Park, Q72 into the airport

I am not recommending you do this, but you can if you want to.
Taking the Q72 from Rego Park gives one the opportunity to break up the trip at Ben's Best kosher deli. @:-)

But if you're willing to pay the $5.00 instead of $2.50, you can get to Rego Park without walking.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but can't find an actual LGA airport thread - does anyone know if getting to the airport 2 hours before flight (when I need to check bags and go through security) is ok for a 6am flight the day before Christmas? Staying at an airport hotel and the first shuttle is at 4am, which should get me to the airport around 4:05-4:10am. Flight is 6am, but I need to check a bag and go through security (no TSA Precheck). Any thoughts?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by yoshapman
Staying at ... airport hotel and ... first shuttle is at 4am, which should get me to the airport around 4:05-4:10am. Flight is 6am, but I need to check a bag and go through security (no TSA Precheck) ...
Welcome, you are at the correct thread. LGA is closed overnight between midnight & 6 AM for departures and slowly coming alive at those hours. You will be fine, maybe a notch too early even for airline counters doing the kiosk bag drops - and have time to grab a cup of coffee landside first - especially coming from one of the hotels across the parkway on the other side, a 10 minutes ride at most depending on the terminal stop. We're using the UA "F/J" check-in counter recently & had to wait like 10 minutes for the agents to show up for duty @4:30 am. TSA checkpoint is 2 or 3 minutes away & a short walk beyond to the gate and no lines (5 AM is another story as the crowd begin to show up.)
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Welcome, you are at the correct thread. LGA is closed overnight between midnight & 6 AM for departures and slowly coming alive at those hours. You will be fine, maybe a notch too early even for airline counters doing the kiosk bag drops - and have time to grab a cup of coffee landside first - especially coming from one of the hotels across the parkway on the other side, a 10 minutes ride at most depending on the terminal stop. We're using the UA "F/J" check-in counter recently & had to wait like 10 minutes for the agents to show up for duty @4:30 am. TSA checkpoint is 2 or 3 minutes away & a short walk beyond to the gate and no lines (5 AM is another story as the crowd begin to show up.)
Regularly this would be the case, my only worry is that it's the day before Christmas, and my first time traveling on that day.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is fine. But, if you are worried, check with your carrier to determine the time at which the counter (and kiosks) open.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Can someone provide me some insight on this scenario:

Have a 20 hour layover, arrive at JFK terminal 7 middle of weekend day will overnight in Flushing at a Hotel near Line 7 subway station before flying out of LGA next day. Hotel has complimentary LaGuardia shuttle. Two people traveing with modest amount of luggage.

Just wondering what folks think on the advantages and disadvantages of different transportation options. Trying to make a determination whether it is best for us to take UberX (have never used such a service before) directly to the hotel or take an airport to airport to shuttle and then get picked up by the hotel shuttle, or even public transportation to get to LGA or Flushing from JFK.

Suggestions?
Old Dec 27, 2014, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by GrizShel

Have a 20 hour layover, arrive at JFK terminal 7 middle of weekend day will overnight in Flushing at a Hotel near Line 7 subway station before flying out of LGA next day. Hotel has complimentary LaGuardia shuttle. Two people traveing with modest amount of luggage.

Just wondering what folks think on the advantages and disadvantages of different transportation options. Trying to make a determination whether it is best for us to take UberX (have never used such a service before) directly to the hotel or take an airport to airport to shuttle and then get picked up by the hotel shuttle, or even public transportation to get to LGA or Flushing from JFK.

Suggestions?
Can you please tell us which hotel you will be staying at?
Uber will be pretty easy, and shouldn't be too expensive, but if you're looking to save money we can advise of public transportation options. I would think the airport-to-airport-to-shuttle option would be the least desirable.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:32 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

Suggestions?
Does the hotel shuttle run on a fixed schedule? Could it fill up--no seats left, you'd have to wait for the next shuttle?
There is a Q48 bus (starts on Roosevelt Ave. and Main St.) servicing all terminals at LGA. There is a big stretch (near Mets Stadium) where it runs non-stop (no pax on or off).
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by Blumie
Uber will be pretty easy, and shouldn't be too expensive, but if you're looking to save money we can advise of public transportation options. I would think the airport-to-airport-to-shuttle option would be the least desirable.
I'm leaning towards the Fairfield Inn in Flushing. I haven't decided if it is worth the savings to take public transportation, but time isn't a factor as we have a long layover, so if it is convenient we'd probably save a few bucks and take public transport even if it takes longer. But if multiple transfers or long walks are required then of course I'd opt for a taxi or Uber or?

The other option I suppose would be doing a JFK-LGA transfer then taking the hotel shuttle.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Blumie
I'm leaning towards the Fairfield Inn in Flushing. I haven't decided if it is worth the savings to take public transportation, but time isn't a factor as we have a long layover, so if it is convenient we'd probably save a few bucks and take public transport even if it takes longer. But if multiple transfers or long walks are required then of course I'd opt for a taxi or Uber or?

The other option I suppose would be doing a JFK-LGA transfer then taking the hotel shuttle.
If it's within your budget, I would consider booking the new Hyatt Place in Flushing. It gets pretty good reviews, and is just a few blocks from the intersection of Main Street and Roosevelt Avenue, which is the center of downtown Flushing.

If you were to take the JFK AirTrain to Jamaica, and then the Q44 Limited bus from Jamaica to Flushing, the bus would stop just a few blocks away from the Hyatt Place.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 2:06 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976

If it's within your budget, I would consider booking the new Hyatt Place in Flushing. It gets pretty good reviews, and is just a few blocks from the intersection of Main Street and Roosevelt Avenue, which is the center of downtown Flushing.

If you were to take the JFK AirTrain to Jamaica, and then the Q44 Limited bus from Jamaica to Flushing, the bus would stop just a few blocks away from the Hyatt Place.
In addition to the Q44 which is a Limited from early morning to late at night, Q65, Q25 also Limited's go from Jamaica to Roosevelt and Main St. by different routes than the Q44.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
I'm leaning towards the Fairfield Inn in Flushing ... The other option I suppose would be doing a JFK-LGA transfer then taking the hotel shuttle.
JFK-LGA airport shuttle for 2 adults w. modest luggage will run you about $32 in total & time consuming + hotel shuttle wait; whereas a flat rate car service (Dial7 or Carmel, our choice) will be about $45 + tips door-to-door typically picking up after you call them @ luggage/arrival, enough time to stop for the bathroom (and, 30 - 45 minutes on weekend, usually) You could do it for less with the AirBus to Jamaica & then the Q44 or Q65 Limited (about 1 hour) for less money, but those buses aren't designed for travlers with suitcases. Q44 goes across the bridge to the Bronx & have the extended tandem body so they are usually better to getting on/off at Jamaica's terminal (last/first stop).
Q65 stop for the Fairfield (which we passed by daily ...) is one long city block from the hotel, and I assumed you know where it's located (10 minutes from downtown Flushing in the middle of nowhere, next to ConEd utility & near sanitation depot, facing the new unfinished NYPD Academy & the only convenience story is a BP gas station (now 24/7) & a part-time greasy spoon dinner. If you are using points for it, that's fine as otherwise said above, checkout the newly opened Hyatt Place in downtown for any special/last minute deals, excellent location & 1/2 block from the "old" Sheraton up the block. Also, check out the "Parc Hotel" owned/runned by an Asian/Chinese group, across the street from the busy Skyview Parc Shopping Mall & luxury condo complexes - Target, Applebees, & BestBuy, etc. on opposite side of Roosevelt Ave - the Parc has gotten good reviews & feedbacks, worth checking out.
Practically all the hotels in Flushing offer free & frequent LGA shuttles, but they do fill up but a car service/green taxi run is about $15 only - not to mention that there are a # of local car services that can do quick & inexpensive pickup/dropoff at both JFK & LGA (further back a few pages, I've mentioned some) - many of them using AWD/4WD in their fleet with no extra surcharges, very helpful in the winter months but it's been snow-less
If you plan to just check into the hotel after arrival, relax & have supper nearby, Fairfield would NOT be the choice unless you wanted to ride the Q65 bus to downtown & back as there's NOTHING in the area. Of course, I can post nearby PapaJohn Pizza delivery & the local Chinese takeout #'s we called if so wished. - - - Choices & choices ! !
Old Feb 9, 2015, 5:11 pm

LGA-JFK connection

Hello,

I was wondering if 2h40 would be enough for a LGA - JFK connection; flying into LGA from Canada at 10:20am on Thursday and flying out of JFK on an international flight at 1pm. When buying the ticket, the connection seemed doable to me, however I am starting to get nervous whether I will make it or not.

Same for my return flight; which arrives internationally at JFK at 9:40am on Friday and outbound departing from LGA at 12:50pm (3h10 connection time)

Any input, advice, would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.