Reload this Page >

LGA-JFK / JFK-LGA Airport Connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: headinclouds
All members are invited to contribute information and links to this wikipost.

This wikipost can be displayed or hidden using the square +/– button on the upper right.

For general information, see the Port Authority website: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/lga-airport-connections.html

Options for LGA-JFK and JFK-LGA connections
Print Wikipost

LGA-JFK / JFK-LGA Airport Connections

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I would think that you will have plenty of time for that transfer. At that time of day cabs are plentiful and the traffic up the Van Wyck figures to be about at the best you can hope for in the daytime. But, of course, it is NYC and there are no guarantees, ever.

I myself would saved the SQ stuff for when I was actually coming to NYC and not have subjected myself to that nonsense of fighting NYC traffic. When you are doing something like that, unexpected things can happen so I probably would just take the DL nonstop and arrive DTW in time for lunch.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Some quick validation from the NYC experts, if you don't mind:

Arrive LGA 2:13 PM tomorrow (Saturday)- Depart JFK (T7) 6:00 PM
Domestic flights, no checked bags, pre-check

My plan is to try the public transport route. (due to price and to avoid major traffic snarls)

-take Q70 to Roosevelt Ave
-E train to Jamaica Sutphin Blvd/JFK stop
-AirTrain to JFK terminal.

I have checked online and there is no work planned for E line this weekend.

Anything else I need to be worried about?
I assume I can purchase a MetroCard somewhere obvious at LGA before getting on the Q70 bus?

For the return:
Sunday: Arrive JFK (T7) 6:30 AM - Depart LGA 9:30 AM

I am again planning on public transport, as above but in reverse order.
Anything I need to be aware of?

Not sure if Sunday early AM schedules are reduced to the point where it may be better to look for NYCAirporter or even a taxi...?

Thanks in advance for any advice/info. This is my first adventure with a NYC airport switch, so just want to be prepared.
(This whole thing was necessitated due to United airline schedule change - no more service to JFK, except from the West Coast)
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Some quick validation from the NYC experts, if you don't mind:

Arrive LGA 2:13 PM tomorrow (Saturday)- Depart JFK (T7) 6:00 PM
Domestic flights, no checked bags, pre-check

My plan is to try the public transport route. (due to price and to avoid major traffic snarls)

-take Q70 to Roosevelt Ave
-E train to Jamaica Sutphin Blvd/JFK stop
-AirTrain to JFK terminal.

I have checked online and there is no work planned for E line this weekend.

Anything else I need to be worried about?
I assume I can purchase a MetroCard somewhere obvious at LGA before getting on the Q70 bus?

For the return:
Sunday: Arrive JFK (T7) 6:30 AM - Depart LGA 9:30 AM

I am again planning on public transport, as above but in reverse order.
Anything I need to be aware of?

Not sure if Sunday early AM schedules are reduced to the point where it may be better to look for NYCAirporter or even a taxi...?

Thanks in advance for any advice/info. This is my first adventure with a NYC airport switch, so just want to be prepared.
(This whole thing was necessitated due to United airline schedule change - no more service to JFK, except from the West Coast)
Should be very doable, if your inbound flights are on time.

If you can find a news kiosk in your LGA terminal that sells pre-packaged, pay-per-ride Metrocards, buy one (either a $5 or a $10 card will work for you). You'll avoid the $1.00 new-card fee if you buy a pre-packaged card. You can add value to the card in any subway station, at the Jamaica AirTrain fare gates, or at the Metrocard vending machine (MVM) inside LGA's Central Terminal Building (see below).

If you don't buy a pre-packaged Metrocard from a vendor at LGA -- or if you want to add value to a pre-packaged card -- then go to the MVM inside LGA's Central Terminal Building, just inside from the Q-70 bus stop. If you buy a new card from the MVM, you'll be charged an extra $1.00 as a new-card fee. (I'm assuming that you're flying UA into LGA; UA arrives at the Central Terminal Building.)
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I think you have enough time on Saturday.

Sunday I would worry more about the plane arriving late and I'm not sure what the Sunday bus and other MTA schedules may be like that early...aka could be running every 15-20 min instead of 5-10 min. Personally on Sunday I would take a taxi or something...7am on a Sunday shouldn't have anyone on the road to worry about traffic.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I think you have enough time on Saturday.

Sunday I would worry more about the plane arriving late and I'm not sure what the Sunday bus and other MTA schedules may be like that early...aka could be running every 15-20 min instead of 5-10 min. Personally on Sunday I would take a taxi or something...7am on a Sunday shouldn't have anyone on the road to worry about traffic.
It's easy enough to check the "E" train schedule and the Q-70 bus schedule at mta.info. If the JFK arrival is on time, there should be no trouble using public transportation and getting to LGA at least a full hour before a 9:30 AM departure.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Thanks to you both for the replies.

guv1976: Yes, arriving LGA on United, so Central Terminal Building. Thanks for the info on buying the MetroCard.

JVphoto: Yes, my "backup" plan if running late is just hop in a taxi. Thanks for the confirmation that Sunday morning should be great, traffic-wise.

Based on what you mentioned, I checked the MTA website for timings on Sunday morning. It does seem the route above is not possible for this time period. The Trip Planner has me taking LIRR from Jamiaca to Woodside, then the Q70 from there. Trying to take the E train shows different stops/routes then I would expect.

From SUTPHIN BLVD-ARCHER AV/JFK E/J/Z/LIRR
Take the WORLD TRADE CENTER bound Train departing at 7:32 AM
Get off at JACKSON HTS - ROOSEVELT AV STA E/F/M/R at 7:48 AM
Pay Per Ride Fare : $2.50 - Reduced Fare : $1.25

Walk 0.05 mile(1 minute) East to VICTOR MOORE TERM & 74 ST-BWAY TERMINAL
Take the EAST ELMHURST - DITMARS BLVD via 83 ST bound Q33 Bus departing at 8:10 AM
Get off at 95TH ST & DITMARS BLVD at 8:30 AM

Walk 0.47 miles(10 minutes) North-East to destination.
I know the LIRR is a bit more expensive, and I believe does not take payment with MetroCard....but maybe worthwhile instead of messing around with other routes?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks to you both for the replies.

guv1976: Yes, arriving LGA on United, so Central Terminal Building. Thanks for the info on buying the MetroCard.

JVphoto: Yes, my "backup" plan if running late is just hop in a taxi. Thanks for the confirmation that Sunday morning should be great, traffic-wise.

Based on what you mentioned, I checked the MTA website for timings on Sunday morning. It does seem the route above is not possible for this time period. The Trip Planner has me taking LIRR from Jamiaca to Woodside, then the Q70 from there. Trying to take the E train shows different stops/routes then I would expect.

From SUTPHIN BLVD-ARCHER AV/JFK E/J/Z/LIRR
Take the WORLD TRADE CENTER bound Train departing at 7:32 AM
Get off at JACKSON HTS - ROOSEVELT AV STA E/F/M/R at 7:48 AM
Pay Per Ride Fare : $2.50 - Reduced Fare : $1.25

Walk 0.05 mile(1 minute) East to VICTOR MOORE TERM & 74 ST-BWAY TERMINAL
Take the EAST ELMHURST - DITMARS BLVD via 83 ST bound Q33 Bus departing at 8:10 AM
Get off at 95TH ST & DITMARS BLVD at 8:30 AM

Walk 0.47 miles(10 minutes) North-East to destination.
I know the LIRR is a bit more expensive, and I believe does not take payment with MetroCard....but maybe worthwhile instead of messing around with other routes?
It sounds like the MTA Trip Planner is screwed up. AFAIK, every Q-70 trip starts at the Woodside/LIRR station, then makes a stop at the Roosevelt Avenue subway station, and then runs express from there to LGA. Suggest you check the Q-70 timetable and mta.info.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
If you get on the LIRR you can buy your ticket on board...I'm not sure how much of a surcharge that is.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
If you get on the LIRR you can buy your ticket on board...I'm not sure how much of a surcharge that is.
If you buy on board on a weekend, you'll get hit with a double whammy: not only will you end up paying the surcharge, but you'll have to pay the "off-peak" fare, which is higher than the weekend special "City Ticket" fare. City Ticket is only available from LIRR vending machines. If you buy on board, you'll end up paying something like $12 or $13, instead of $4.

But there should be no need to take the LIRR: if the Q-70 is running from Woodside, then it should be running from Jackson Heights, as well.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976

It sounds like the MTA Trip Planner is screwed up. AFAIK, every Q-70 trip starts at the Woodside/LIRR station, then makes a stop at the Roosevelt Avenue subway station, and then runs express from there to LGA. Suggest you check the Q-70 timetable and mta.info.
Could be the Trip Planner. I did check the static schedules for both E line and Q70 bus. Appears they both run every 15-20 minutes during this time on Sunday morning.

Is there an app or resource in your experience that is best for route planning for this type of trip? Google maps or MTA app or something else?

I am thinking best to just have the right app in place and play it by ear on Sunday now. At some point, I am going to tire of all this thinking and planning. LOL
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976

Could be the Trip Planner. I did check the static schedules for both E line and Q70 bus. Appears they both run every 15-20 minutes during this time on Sunday morning.

Is there an app or resource in your experience that is best for route planning for this type of trip? Google maps or MTA app or something else?

I am thinking best to just have the right app in place and play it by ear on Sunday now. At some point, I am going to tire of all this thinking and planning. LOL
I would say that if you can get yourself from T7 to the Jamaica AirTrain terminal by 7:20 AM, you should be fine taking the E train and the Q70. Otherwise, consider taking a taxi (or the JFK-LGA shuttle bus, if it's running at that hour on a Sunday).
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's a link to the JFK-LGA shuttle bus info, in case you opt for a one-seat ride, but don't want to pay taxi prices:

http://www.nycairporter.com/OurServi...FKShuttle.aspx
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
deleted.

Last edited by stompey5; Nov 22, 2014 at 11:11 pm
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Hi all, I'm pretty sure I've seen this posted on the forum but don't remember where. Is there a way to take the bus/train from JFK without using AirTrain and paying its surcharge, like picking up a bus somewhere? I have roughly 5 hours between my inbound flight at JFK to the outbound from LGA. Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Hi all, I'm pretty sure I've seen this posted on the forum but don't remember where. Is there a way to take the bus/train from JFK without using AirTrain and paying its surcharge, like picking up a bus somewhere? I have roughly 5 hours between my inbound flight at JFK to the outbound from LGA. Thanks!
It won't be that much fun, but yes, play with Google Maps and you can get it to give you horrible routings like the Q3/Q10 to F to Q70. You will save a whopping $2.50 ($5, vs. $7.50 for Airtrain+E+Q70) and probably still have to take the Airtrain anyway (because the buses only stop near the Terminal 5 Airtrain station -- access via elevator from that station). I don't recommend it, unless you're really into slow buses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.