Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK to Hoboken Transportation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2007, 6:47 am
Original Poster

JFK to Hoboken with luggage

Hi, I've searched this forum for info on getting from JFK to Hoboken.

I've worked out that I can take the Air Train to Jamaica, LIRR to Penn and the NJ Transit to Hoboken.

I wonder if this is a good idea considering the following:
- I'll have at least one large heavy suitcase (possibly two) plus a notebook computer and possibly a small daypack. (I'll be on a rtw trip)
- I've never been to NY before.
- I'm coming in mid January.
- I arrive around 8pm on a Friday night.

I've been told that a taxi will cost around $US 100 for that trip. This seems like a really expensive fare.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions or ideas.

Thanks
EC

Last edited by dstan; Oct 5, 2009 at 2:17 pm Reason: updated thread title and restored OP title
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by EasyEC
I've worked out that I can take the Air Train to Jamaica, LIRR to Penn and the NJ Transit to Hoboken.

I wonder if this is a good idea considering the following:
- I'll have at least one large heavy suitcase (possibly two) plus a notebook computer and possibly a small daypack. (I'll be on a rtw trip)
- I've never been to NY before.
- I'm coming in mid January.
- I arrive around 8pm on a Friday night.

I've been told that a taxi will cost around $US 100 for that trip. This seems like a really expensive fare.
First suggestion: forget the 2d suitcase. If you must have it, then go for the taxi. If you try to take mass transit with two heavy suitcases, you'll go crazy or otherwise hurt yourself.

Second suggestion: Take the NY Airport Bus Service from JFK to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan. Then transfer to NJ Transit bus to Hoboken. Ideally, you want to do this outside of rush hour - I think the NJ Transit service is on a commuter bus (rather than inter city coach), so there won't be dedicated storage space for your luggage. Further, transiting through the PABT with luggage will be interesting, but no more so than if you went through Penn Station.

Finally, you should know that taking NJ Transit rail from NY Penn to Hoboken requires a change of train in Secaucus. You'll need to carry everything down to a lower platform. Alternatively, you can take PATH from 33rd St in NYC directly to Hoboken. I would also suggest avoiding rush hour, if possible, should you go either of these this routes.

Once you get to Hoboken, be sure to reward yourself with a stop at Benny Tudino's for some pizza and beer!

Good luck !
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:33 am

Programs: Air Canada, Alaska, American, Delta
Originally Posted by 767-322ETOPS

Second suggestion: Take the NY Airport Bus Service from JFK to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan. Then transfer to NJ Transit bus to Hoboken. Ideally, you want to do this outside of rush hour - I think the NJ Transit service is on a commuter bus (rather than inter city coach), so there won't be dedicated storage space for your luggage. Further, transiting through the PABT with luggage will be interesting, but no more so than if you went through Penn Station.
I second the suggestion for taking the NY Airport Bus Service to Port Authority - it's a coach and so they'll be able to accommodate your luggage. You will eliminate the transfer that you'd have from the AirTrain to LIRR so once you're on the bus you don't have to move until you get to Port Authority. Plus, since you've never been to NY, taking the bus will ensure that you don't get lost - the driver will obviously tell you when you get to PA.

When you get to PA you can decide whether you want to get on the NJ Transit bus to Hoboken (which is quite easy and very fast, although more challenging with the amount of luggage you'll have) or even just take a cab from there.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, Marriott Titanium
First of all, welcome to FlyerTalk EasyEC!

You should probably think of your journey as two parts: getting from JFK to Manhattan, and getting from Manhattan to Hoboken.

JFK to Manhattan is covered here in the helpful FlyerGuide Wiki.

Your idea of taking a NJ transit train from Penn Station to Hoboken is not the most practical way to go since there is no direct srvice between the two. You would have to change trains somewhere in NJ (Secaucus Junction or Newark Penn Station).

There is also the NY Waterway Ferry, but the ferry terminal is not in the most convenient location.

I would recommend either the PATH train or the NJ Transit 126 bus.

One PATH line leaves from the World Trade Center, the other leaves from 32 St and 6 Av which is one block east of Penn Station (I know it's called the 33 St Station, but AFAIK there are no entrances on 33 St). There are several other Manhattan stops on this line.

The bus leaves from PABT (Port Authority Bus Terminal). This is probably the best option for you if you have a lot of luggage. You could take the NY Airport Service bus directly to PABT (with a stop at Grand Central Terminal) and then transfer to the 126 bus. This has the advantage of only one transfer, but you might have traffic delays. Also, the 126 bus drives down the entire length of Washington Av in Hoboken, so it may get you closer to your final destination than the PATH train which only stops at the south end of town. Note that you'll have to bring your luggage on board the 126 bus as there is no underneath storage.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Hoboken(The W)to JFK for an 9 am flight on a Sunday

Is this doable?
What are my options?
TIA
Old Aug 5, 2009, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
to OP: I think that bus is preferable as well, as the walk from Penn Sta to Path can be rough

Hoboken to JFK for 9 AM flight shouldn't be a problem. You have to leave a bit early though, a bit before 6:00 to get to JFK a bit after 7. I'd recommend putting a bit more buffer if you're not familiar with the area

you can get some ideas on Google Maps, choose public transit. With lots of luggage, you might want to go to take a bus from downtown or area near Penn Sta as well though.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=f...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

W Hoboken
225 River Street
Hoboken, NJ 7030
(201) 253-2400
Travel time: about 1 hour 11 minsShowing Trip 1
Walk to Hoboken
About 4 mins
Hide detailsShow details
Beta: Use caution – This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths.
1. Head south on River St toward 2nd St
0.2 mi

Train - PATH - Journal Square to 33rd St - Direction: To 33rd (via Hoboken)
Service run by PATH
5:56am Depart Hoboken
14 mins
6:10am Arrive 33rd St

Train - Penn Station to Huntington - 7610 - Direction: Huntington
14 mins to make transfer
Service run by Long Island Rail Road
6:24am Depart Penn Station
20 mins
6:44am Arrive Jamaica

Light rail - Jamaica Station - JFK Airport - Direction: Jamaica
6 mins to make transfer
Service run by The Port Authority of NY & NJ
Service runs every 5 mins
Depart Jamaica Station - Sutphin Boulevard
11 mins
Arrive JFK Terminal 2-3 Station

Walk to John F Kennedy International
About 1 min
Hide detailsShow details
Beta: Use caution – This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths.
1. Head west on Terminal 1
348 ft
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
JFK to Hoboken Transportation Options?

I wish was flying into Newark, but I'm not.

Arriving at JFK at 7pm on a Thursday (international flight), and have reservations at the W, Hoboken. What are the best options for two people travelling (not so much luggage that we can't take the train!)?

Air-train > LIRR > PATH - looks like about 90 minutes.

How long would a cab take at that time of day? And what sort of price? (presumably the $45 flat fare doesn't operate to NJ?)

Or some combination of the two (cab to 33rd St, then PATH)?

Would a limo be cheaper? and can anyone recommend a company?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA, DL
I would do the Airtran/LIRR/Path (2 block walk on the streets of Manhattan from Penn Station to the path station in Manhattan (Hoboken stop is about 5 blocks from the hotel).

This would definatley be the cheapest way and probably the best way to avoid traffic. I would guess a car service would be about $75-90. There is also a bus from JFK to the Port Authority for like $12-15 pp. Then you can take the 126 NJ Transit bus to Hoboken (Would drop you off within 4 blocks of the W) but be forewarned it is very very difficult to bring lugage on a NJ transit bus! Hope this helps some...
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Thanks, remphish1.

I asked the hotel about a cab all the way, and they reckon it would be $80+

Looks like it will be Airtrain>LIRR>Path. If I'm tired and crochety, I might go for a cab direct to the PATH station.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by mad_rich
If I'm tired and crochety, I might go for a cab direct to the PATH station.
Note that that alone will cost you $55 to $60 ($45 flat fare, plus toll and tip).
Old Oct 3, 2009, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
On weekdays, some of the PATH trains go to Hoboken, and some don't. If you start out on one that doesn't go to Hoboken, you have to transfer at either Grove or Journal Square. There are good maps showing the routing within the train cars.

On weekends, all the trains go to Hoboken, as well as Newark Penn.

Romelle
Old Oct 19, 2009, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Thanks-was not difficult

A big thanks to ClosetUSFan for his helpful advice
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12181510-post6.html
Left the W Hoboken at 6 am on Sunday morning.Got the 6:20 33rd st train.elevator to sreet level(heavy rolling suitcase)turn left,left on 34th street-up two blocks to the LIRR station(lugging bag dow short flight of stairs)=train to Jamaica@ 7:10,airtrain to JFK-arrived with plenty of time to spare! Total cost=$10.25!
Old Mar 4, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Great Info

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
A big thanks to ClosetUSFan for his helpful advice
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12181510-post6.html
Left the W Hoboken at 6 am on Sunday morning.Got the 6:20 33rd st train.elevator to sreet level(heavy rolling suitcase)turn left,left on 34th street-up two blocks to the LIRR station(lugging bag dow short flight of stairs)=train to Jamaica@ 7:10,airtrain to JFK-arrived with plenty of time to spare! Total cost=$10.25!
I was comparing the options, and it looks like the trains are the way to go to Hoboken/Pavonia (Westin Hotel).
Terminal-Jamaica 10min
wait 5-10
Jamaica-Penn St. 21min
walk 5, wait 5-10
Penn-Pavonia 25 min

Total maybe 75min or so for about $8 person (offpeak).

Bus from JFK to Penn is 90min and more expensive

SuperShuttle shows $65 which isn't bad, but it if makes stops all over downtown Manhattan first it'll take 2hrs I bet.

Taxi, Limo etc. are all around $80-100 and take at least 60 min. as they have to go through Manhattan.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 7:41 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT

Taxi, Limo etc. are all around $80-100 and take at least 60 min. as they have to go through Manhattan.
You could take the taxi from Kennedy to anywhere in Manhattan, say the Path station furthest downtown (Christopher St. maybe?) and hop on the Path from there.

The fare between JFK and anywhere in Manhattan is $45 plus tip and tolls.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dkelly1110
You could take the taxi from Kennedy to anywhere in Manhattan, say the Path station furthest downtown (Christopher St. maybe?) and hop on the Path from there.

The fare between JFK and anywhere in Manhattan is $45 plus tip and tolls.
If not Christopher, one can take a taxi to the PATH station at the World Trade Center to get the PATH to Hoboken too.

Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
I was comparing the options, and it looks like the trains are the way to go to Hoboken/Pavonia (Westin Hotel).
Terminal-Jamaica 10min
wait 5-10
Jamaica-Penn St. 21min
walk 5, wait 5-10
Penn-Pavonia 25 min

Total maybe 75min or so for about $8 person (offpeak).
You recommended the train from Penn to Pavonia. That is the PATH train. Keep in mind, the PATH train does not go to Penn Station. When you arrive at Penn, walk one block to 6th Ave b/w 33rd & 32nd St for the PATH.

As for total fare:

The Airtrain is $5.

The LIRR to Penn is $8 during peak hours, $5.75 during off peak, and $3.50 on the weekends.

The PATH train fare is $1.75.

You can buy one Metrocard at Jamaica to pay for all of this. Lastly, the PATH from 33rd St station to Pavonia is about 15 minutes, not 25.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.