Best way from New Haven to LaGuardia Airport

Subscribe
To my experienced New York area FTers. Anyone know the options to get from New Haven area to Laguardia airport? Would also be interested knowing how much time it takes on a Sunday.

Thanks in advance.
Driving, or public transit?
If you're driving, and there's no traffic, figure on 90 minutes (minimum).

Here's the way I'd go... take I-95 south towards New York. Just after you cross into NY, follow signs for the Tappan Zee Bridge I-287 west.

Take 287 for about 3 miles and follow signs for the Hutchinson River Parkway south. Following this route takes you off 95 and all its pitfalls.

Now take the Hutch southbound towards the Whitestone Bridge.. This highway is cars only. I-95 can go 'down' 24/7. Believe me, I know. If there's a problem with 95, you'll save loads of time taking the Hutch.

In about 10 minutes, bear right at the fork in the road. Do not follow signs for the the George Washington bridge. Bear right at the fork.

The Hutch dead ends at the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge. Pay toll.

After you cross the bridge, bear towards the right. You should see signs for LGA. The airport is 10 minutes away after you cross the bridge.

dh
the cheapest is take Metro-North to NYC (Grand Central) and once you get out, across the street (on Park Ave between 41st and 42nd st) there is express bus service to LGA (Olympia). Cost is $12 for the bus and about $15 (??) for Metro-North. Good if you have time, low on money and not a lot of luggage. Overall, more time consuming that driving direct without traffic (a big IF). If driving, tell us what time is your flight? Traffic can be very very bad at times, even before you get to 287 turnoff. I drive Milford-NYC regularly, and at times it takes me 2.5hrs to go Milford-Greenwich (regular traffic, not accidents).
I would also check out Connecticut Limo . It's $65 O/W and brings you right to your terminal non-stop from New Haven. There's a trip leaving every hour, on the hour. It gives a trip time of 2.5 hours, but on a Sunday I would not at all expect it to take nearly that long, but hey, it's NYC, so you just never know!
Quote: I drive Milford-NYC regularly, and at times it takes me 2.5hrs to go Milford-Greenwich (regular traffic, not accidents).
Oh, do I every feel your pain. I was making that drive last year for about 6 months - NH to Greenwich, working 9-5. Honestly, I though I knew what bad traffic was, having just moved from Boston where it took me and hour to drive the 7 miles from home to work. That stretch of road in CT had any Boston traffic beat by a long shot!

For perspective for those not in the know of I95 southbound in CT, that aforementioned drive would take less than 40 minutes in smooth sailing.
I drive from Niantic, CT down to LGA somewhat often. From HVN to LGA is about 2hrs on a Sunday with no traffic.

95 down to the White Stone Bridge and follow the signs.

You can also take Amtrak into Penn Station (I prefer it to Metro North) then cab it. I don't always finds the trains the most reliable form of transportation though.

HVN to JFK is much easier.........
If taking Metro North, couldn't you get off at 125th street and take the M60 bus, and save $10 vs the Olympia from Grand Central? Or do the New Haven trains skip 125th?
Quote: If taking Metro North, couldn't you get off at 125th street and take the M60 bus, and save $10 vs the Olympia from Grand Central?
That's correct. I have done it. Not a fan of that route. The M60 is a looooooooooong ride - 1hr+ depending on traffic. That'd be a seriously long commute factoring in the Metro-North ride, which is anywhere from 2 hrs to 2.5 hrs, depending on the train. Also, toting luggage on the city bus would suuuuck! That's a busy route.

Quote: ...do the New Haven trains skip 125th?
For future reference, all trains from NH stop at 125th, without exception. Most trains go express from Stamford, 125th being the next stop after that station.

Can you tell I may have done that route a time or two (or a time too many?)
I definitely recommend the MN to 125th st and then transfer to the M60 bus. It generally doesn't take more than half hour. Alternatively, I'd still get off at Harlem and pick up a cab...usually black livery...not many yellow cabs up there...not sure what they'll charge, but likely not more the $20, including the Triboro toll. The cab ride would be 10-20 minutes max depending on traffic...so you'd save 10 minutes on the MN plus at least half hour on the bus from GC to LGA.
do you really have to go to LGA? the trip from New Haven could be as long as your flight- or worse- if you try to drive and the traffic is blocked for HOURS (especially on a sunday afternoon coming down from New England)

US flies HVN/PHL up to six times a day- make a connection in PHL and you may be at your destination faster than via LGA- which is also notorious for ground delays

(we're number 47 for takeoff so we're shutting down the engines for 90 minutes or so......")
Quote: the cheapest is take Metro-North to NYC (Grand Central) and once you get out, across the street (on Park Ave between 41st and 42nd st) there is express bus service to LGA (Olympia). Cost is $12 for the bus and about $15 (??) for Metro-North.
As already pointed out by lerasp, this is not the cheapest way via public transportation. Metro North to 125th Street, and then the M-60 bus is one option; another is to stay on Metro North to Grand Central, and then take a #7 local train to 74th Steet/Roosevelt Avenue (in Jackson Heights, Queens), and transfer to the Q-33 bus to LGA (or the Q-47 bus if you're going to the Marine Air Terminal at LGA). If you pay your $2.00 subway fare with a Metrocard, you get a free transfer to the bus. From GCT, the subway and both combination should take about one hour total. One caveat: one weekends there is sometimes track work on the #7 line, and trains sometimes bypass 74th Street station. You can check the MTA's website, www.mta.info, on Fridays for somebody diversions for that weekend.

But unless you have a lot of luggage, I would think that Metro North to 125th Street, and then the M-60 bus would be your best public transportation bet.
Quote: You can also take Amtrak into Penn Station (I prefer it to Metro North) then cab it. I don't always finds the trains the most reliable form of transportation though.

HVN to JFK is much easier.........
Both true!

From Penn you could also take the E to Jackson Heights and hop on the Q33. About an hour.
Although I haven't done 125th to LGA too many times (once to be exact) and maybe don't know what i'm talking about. But living in NYC, I have to say city bus service is only marginally faster than walking, except in the middle of the night. and bus riders do not exemplify civility, if crowded. and the stops are every freaking block! I would really think twice about it. for a few extra $$, a cab or Olympia is much much better, even if you don't have much luggage. Even though I 'm not a huge fan of public transport, for this trip I think taking the train is better. check the schedule careful to be on the express and not the local train - about 30 min difference. Also, some trains will have you switch in Stamford - i would try to get a direct express. At least there's a 99% chance that you will get into the city on time, and from Manhattan (wherever you are), it's a much easier to make you way to LGA (either bus, taxi or express bus). Also, parking fees in LGA are a bit steep for my taste ($30 1st day, and $15 thereafter - more than JFK!). There are some off-site lots, which run about $18/day, but you need to factor in extra time for transfer from them.
another observation - MN tends to be unreliable only in bad weather. winter can be a nightmare, but in the summer there aren't too many issues with missing/late trains. this is based on my commute GC-Greenwich every day.