Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic > New York City
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 28, 07, 5:07 am   #16
Used to be exsynner
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, Delta
Posts: 39
Thanks OP!
Wish I had noticed this last week!
C.F. Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 07, 4:11 am   #17
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Sunny SYDNEY! ☻♥◙♦☺◄◄◄•◘○♦,♂◄►.
Programs: UA 1K Million Miler. Virgin Plat. HH Diamond + SPG Gold☻♥◙♦☺◄&#
Posts: 31,784
What does a one way trip cost might I ask? Will not use 10.

How close to NY Hilton does this Air Train take pax?
__________________
12 year 1K. Haven't booked UA flights in 2 Yrs. Take that.
There ARE airline choices. You lied to me, so I'm making them.
ozstamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 07, 7:15 am   #18
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: LHR/JFK
Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Posts: 3,210
A one-way trip is $5. It only takes you to the subway (A train) or LIRR.
jabrams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 07, 7:56 am   #19
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: UA 1K (thank you MM hubby!), HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrams72 View Post
A one-way trip is $5. It only takes you to the subway (A train) or LIRR.
Or E train.
Calcifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 07, 9:56 am   #20
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 12,028
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozstamps
What does a one way trip cost might I ask? Will not use 10.

How close to NY Hilton does this Air Train take pax?
As noted by others, the AirTrain only takes you to subway/commuter railroad stations. The $5 cost of AirTrain is payable only with a Metrocard, which can be used on NYC subways and buses as well. If you decide to travel to the Hilton by public transportation, take the AirTrain bound for "Jamaica Station" and then connect to a Manhattan-bound E subway (additional $2 fare). Take the E train to Fifth Avenue station. You will be two blocks from the New York Hilton. If you plan to ride the subways or buses during your stay (or the AirTrain again at the end of your stay), consider purchasing a Metrocard for $10 or more, as such cards award you 20% bonus value.
guv1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 07, 3:04 am   #21
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Sunny SYDNEY! ☻♥◙♦☺◄◄◄•◘○♦,♂◄►.
Programs: UA 1K Million Miler. Virgin Plat. HH Diamond + SPG Gold☻♥◙♦☺◄&#
Posts: 31,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post

As noted by others, the AirTrain only takes you to subway/commuter railroad stations. The $5 cost of AirTrain is payable only with a Metrocard, which can be used on NYC subways and buses as well. If you decide to travel to the Hilton by public transportation, take the AirTrain bound for "Jamaica Station" and then connect to a Manhattan-bound E subway (additional $2 fare).

Take the E train to Fifth Avenue station. You will be two blocks from the New York Hilton. If you plan to ride the subways or buses during your stay (or the AirTrain again at the end of your stay), consider purchasing a Metrocard for $10 or more, as such cards award you 20% bonus value.
guv1976 - thanks so much for the detailed advice. Glad to hear we are so close to a subway stop at 5th Ave station.

All we really need to do is get 2 persons from JFK to Jamaica then E to 5th Ave.

Can one $10-$15 Metro Card be used for two persons on the Air Train to Jamaica for instance? Please excuse my ignorance - never used them before. Or can only 1 person use them on each trip?

I need to make about 6 trips to/from Hilton to 145W, 57th St which I understand is near Carnegie Hall. Looking at a map it looks like only a couple of minutes walk - which I hope is right.

If so do not think we need too much pubic transport as we'll take a cab to LGA from Hilton which I gather from another post generally runs about $30 at midday Saturday?

Appreciate if any local can tune me in on this.
__________________
12 year 1K. Haven't booked UA flights in 2 Yrs. Take that.
There ARE airline choices. You lied to me, so I'm making them.
ozstamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 07, 7:27 am   #22
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 12,028
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Can one $10-$15 Metro Card be used for two persons on the Air Train to Jamaica for instance? Please excuse my ignorance - never used them before. Or can only 1 person use them on each trip?





I need to make about 6 trips to/from Hilton to 145W, 57th St which I understand is near Carnegie Hall. Looking at a map it looks like only a couple of minutes walk - which I hope is right.





If so do not think we need too much pubic transport as we'll take a cab to LGA from Hilton which I gather from another post generally runs about $30 at midday Saturday?





Appreciate if any local can tune me in on this.
A single "pay-per-ride" Metrocard can be used by more than one person. There is an excellent primer on how Metrocard works in the Flyer Talk "Frequent Flyer Wiki" on using public transportation to get from the airports to Manhattan. I highly recommend that article to you.





You will not need a Metrocard to board the AirTrain at JfK; you will need one to pass through the turnstiles after you arrive at Jamaica Station, and Metrocard vending machines (which accept credit and debit cards, in addition to US currency and coin) are available on both sides of the turnstiles at Jamaica.





To minimize the amount you spend on Metrocard, estimate how much value you will need, multiply that amount by .833 (5/6), and round the result UP to the nearest 5 cents. For example, if you need $26 in Metrocard value, you would purchase a single pay-per-ride Metrocard at Jamaica station for $21.70. With the 20% bonus given to Metrocard purchases of $10 or more, $21.70 will give you a Metrocard valued at $26.04. If you don't plan on taking any public transportation once you get to Manhattan, then you will only need $14 of Metrocard value, which can be purchased for $11.70. If you underestimate how much value you need, you can always refill your card at any Metrocard vending machine or full-service subway booth, but only refills of $10 or more come with the 20% bonus. And yes, you can easily walk from the Hilton to West 57th Street. Enjoy your visit!

Last edited by guv1976; Feb 4, 07 at 8:07 am..
guv1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 07, 8:13 am   #23
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Sunny SYDNEY! ☻♥◙♦☺◄◄◄•◘○♦,♂◄►.
Programs: UA 1K Million Miler. Virgin Plat. HH Diamond + SPG Gold☻♥◙♦☺◄&#
Posts: 31,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post

There is an excellent primer on how Metrocard works in the Flyer Talk "Frequent Flyer Wiki" on using public transportation to get from the airports to Manhattan. I highly recommend that article to you.
You are absolutely right - never knew that was there!

A huge amount of helpful advice and thanks to those who posted it and updated it.

The direct link for anyone that may need to offer it in future, is -

http://flyertalk.com/wiki/index.php/...sportation_FAQ
__________________
12 year 1K. Haven't booked UA flights in 2 Yrs. Take that.
There ARE airline choices. You lied to me, so I'm making them.
ozstamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 10, 9:12 pm   #24
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 12,419
Can this card still be used by a group? I'll be parking a couple times at the Howard Beach station and travelling with a couple of people. I don't like wasting my time dropping them off at the terminal and then parking, and I also don't like paying $10/person roundtrip. So this pass would make me happy (as long as it works). Thanks!
iahphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 10, 9:36 pm   #25
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Easton, CT, USA
Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Posts: 31,820
It can be used by a group, bur according to the port authority page on it:

Time-based MetroCards

The 10-Trip AirTrain JFK Only Usage MetroCard can be purchased at AirTrain JFK’s Howard Beach and Jamaica stations. Ticket vending machines and the NYC Pennsylvania Station’s ticket vending machines displaying the AirTrain logo. The 10-Trip Air Train JFK will expire 12 months (365 DAYS “ONLY”) after first usage. Every fourth usage, there is an 18-minute waiting period before next usage.


So if you have over four people, you need to wait 18 minutes after each group of four people.

Also note they are saying the expiration is now a year instead of six months.

From http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-cost-tickets.html

I'm sure that's because homeless type people were buying the cards, then offering to swipe people through for $3.50 or $4 each. They get a buck or two, the traveler saves a buck or two, everybody but the MTA wins.
__________________
Mike Cordelli mike@cordelli.com
cordelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 10, 6:53 am   #26
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 12,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
It can be used by a group, bur according to the port authority page on it:

Time-based MetroCards

The 10-Trip AirTrain JFK Only Usage MetroCard can be purchased at AirTrain JFK’s Howard Beach and Jamaica stations. Ticket vending machines and the NYC Pennsylvania Station’s ticket vending machines displaying the AirTrain logo. The 10-Trip Air Train JFK will expire 12 months (365 DAYS “ONLY”) after first usage. Every fourth usage, there is an 18-minute waiting period before next usage.


So if you have over four people, you need to wait 18 minutes after each group of four people.

Also note they are saying the expiration is now a year instead of six months.

From http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-cost-tickets.html

I'm sure that's because homeless type people were buying the cards, then offering to swipe people through for $3.50 or $4 each. They get a buck or two, the traveler saves a buck or two, everybody but the MTA wins.
Thanks. Of course, for one of my trips, I have 5 people.

But with a year expiration, if that time-thing is actually enforced, I guess I could just buy 2 cards. I'd probably use it up in time.
iahphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 10, 8:06 am   #27
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 12,028
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iahphx
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
It can be used by a group, bur according to the port authority page on it:

Time-based MetroCards

The 10-Trip AirTrain JFK Only Usage MetroCard can be purchased at AirTrain JFK’s Howard Beach and Jamaica stations. Ticket vending machines and the NYC Pennsylvania Station’s ticket vending machines displaying the AirTrain logo. The 10-Trip Air Train JFK will expire 12 months (365 DAYS “ONLY”) after first usage. Every fourth usage, there is an 18-minute waiting period before next usage.


So if you have over four people, you need to wait 18 minutes after each group of four people.

Also note they are saying the expiration is now a year instead of six months.

From http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-cost-tickets.html

I'm sure that's because homeless type people were buying the cards, then offering to swipe people through for $3.50 or $4 each. They get a buck or two, the traveler saves a buck or two, everybody but the MTA wins.
Thanks. Of course, for one of my trips, I have 5 people.

But with a year expiration, if that time-thing is actually enforced, I guess I could just buy 2 cards. I'd probably use it up in time.
I think there was a posting in another thread about the fifth-rider lockout occurring on a 10-trip card. IIRC, the poster said that the AirTrain customer service representative was able to do something to let the fifth passenger in. So you might want to hold off on buying the second 10-trip card until you determine that you actually need it.

Of course, depending on where you are driving from, another option might be just to do a one-way car rental to JFK, and then ride the AirTrain for free from Federal Circle station.

Last edited by guv1976; Mar 21, 10 at 8:08 am..
guv1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 10, 9:45 am   #28
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 12,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
[size=1]Of course, depending on where you are driving from, another option might be just to do a one-way car rental to JFK, and then ride the AirTrain for free from Federal Circle station.
I used to do one-way car rentals to JFK in lieu of airport parking for longer trips, but then the rates OUT of JFK became silly. At the same time, airport parking became cheaper, but by then I "discovered" the Howard Beach option. There's been discussion over the years whether HB parking is safe, and the consensus these days seems to be that it's safe enough (not that I'd leave my Ferrari there).
iahphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 10, 10:30 am   #29
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Posts: 5,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
It can be used by a group, bur according to the port authority page on it:

Time-based MetroCards

Also note they are saying the expiration is now a year instead of six months.

From http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-cost-tickets.html
Thanks for pointing out the extended expiration date. With 6 months, I have never managed to use of the 10-trip fare, so a 365 day period will allow me to maximize its use!
neuron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 10, 11:31 am   #30
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 60,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
I'm sure that's because homeless type people were buying the cards, then offering to swipe people through for $3.50 or $4 each. They get a buck or two, the traveler saves a buck or two, everybody but the MTA wins.
MetroCards have been this way since as far back as I can remember. I don't know the reasoning why, but the 4 pax limit per swipe cycle has been around on all cash-value cards (versus unlimited), not just the AirTrain ones.

I've had agents reset my card when traveling with family so I could get the 5th person in but it isn't worth the time IMO, especially a JFK where they are often understaffed and not inclined to be extra helpful. Not saying it cannot be done, but I wouldn't bet on it and I'd budget 5-10 minutes to make it happen. Or just pay for the one extra $10 card and still come out way ahead of the game.
sbm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:18 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.