FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/)
-   -   Broadway Dress Code (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/545039-broadway-dress-code.html)

QueenofWands Apr 5, 2006 9:49 pm

Broadway Dress Code

I keep hearing that its up to the person whether they want to dress casual or formal for a broadway show, and I just want some opinions. In May, I will be taking my first trip to the Big Apple, and have gotten a great deal of luck in getting to see The Phantom of the Opera (Grand Mezzenine seating) the day after I get there. I have a dress that I'd like to wear (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...b80b9607aL.jpg) and I was just wondering if it would be too formal for an evening show time (I don't think anyone else in the group I'm going in is going to wear more than jeans....)

Analise Apr 6, 2006 7:15 am

Welcome to Flyertalk QueenofWands. The gown in the link is just lovely. If the slobs can wear what they like (and they do), why can't you wear such an elegant gown? Just be aware that you WILL be the belle of the ball. Except for opening night at the Met, one rarely sees anybody in formal attire for any performance whether it be the theatre, ballet, opera, or the symphony.

Have a wonderful time. :)

jjpnyc Apr 6, 2006 7:22 am

The cold reality of Broadway shows is that you'll see people wear just about anything & everything now-a-days, all the way from jeans & a t-shirt to suits.

flyerwife Apr 6, 2006 7:23 am

The dress is beautiful! I agree with analise that you will probably be the best dressed woman there, but I have gone to shows recently (especially Sat eve performances) where some people have been dressed more formally (men in suits and women, especially younger ladies, in fancy long dresses).

When I see them, I always figure they have a much more exciting life than me!

I try not to dress down too much for the theatre, but honestly, if I've been walking around Manhattan all day, and especially if it's the summer, I have a tendency to be much more casual. Not fun to spend the day walking through midtown in 3 inch heels.

Have a great time.... I just saw Phantom for the second time. Took my kids, they loved it (they are 15 and 11). If you can, get the soundtrack beforehand so you can familiarize yourself with all of the great music.

fastflyer Apr 6, 2006 7:47 am

I continue to wear a suit (or blazer and tie) to Broadway, to any concert like the NY Philaharmonic, and usually when going out to dinner. I would estimate that about 50% of the audience dresses in the same way.

themicah Apr 6, 2006 10:03 am

Most people at least try to dress "pressed casual." You get a few tourists in jeans and t-shirts, but I'd say the most common broadway outfits are sweaters and blazers (with a smattering of suits) for men, and casual dresses and slacks/blouse/sweater outfits for women. Women can get a bit dressier--particularly with their outerwear. In the winter I see tons of fur coats outside the theaters. But rarely true formalwear (i.e., tuxedos and evening gowns).

My personal favorite are the high school tour groups, who are clearly given "dress code" instructions for their Broadway visits. You'll see busloads of 'em going into theaters in the evenings--all the boys with shirts and ties (but no jackets) and all the girls in casual dresses or nice slacks with blouses or sweaters.

CaliforniasCentralCoast Apr 6, 2006 10:13 am

Broadway!

My experience too is that Broadway patrons have become increasing casual. Friday and Saturday nights seem to have more people dressing up more, but I'd say dress up a little and make it special!

Have a wonderful time.

CCC

gradvmedusa Apr 6, 2006 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
Most people at least try to dress "pressed casual." You get a few tourists in jeans and t-shirts, but I'd say the most common broadway outfits are sweaters and blazers (with a smattering of suits) for men, and casual dresses and slacks/blouse/sweater outfits for women. Women can get a bit dressier--particularly with their outerwear. In the winter I see tons of fur coats outside the theaters. But rarely true formalwear (i.e., tuxedos and evening gowns).

My personal favorite are the high school tour groups, who are clearly given "dress code" instructions for their Broadway visits. You'll see busloads of 'em going into theaters in the evenings--all the boys with shirts and ties (but no jackets) and all the girls in casual dresses or nice slacks with blouses or sweaters.

So true! I always see these half casual/half formal frumpy middle/high school kids in front of Lincoln Center, they always look so unhappy to be dressed in khakis and a tie.

JeremyZ Apr 6, 2006 5:38 pm

Walking past Phantom tonight, the line had started to form. All the women I saw were wearing pants except one, who was wearing a black dress that didn't look quite as formal as that picture.

It was relatively early, though.

tcook052 Apr 8, 2006 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by jjpnyc
The cold reality of Broadway shows is that you'll see people wear just about anything & everything now-a-days, all the way from jeans & a t-shirt to suits.

Indeed. I packed a business casual outfit, dress shirt no tie and dockers, for a recent Mamma Mia show and felt somewhere in the middle between the suit & tie crowd and the hoodies and jeans group. I wanted to dress down so I could wander Times Square after the performance without feeling like I'd just come from the ball. ;)

QueenofWands Apr 11, 2006 10:53 pm

thank you all for the imput. I really would like to wear the dress, so that will be exactly what I do. I believe its a saturday night performance... May 6th to be exact. The trip I'm on is one of the high school tour group things, so we're going to be on a tight schedule, but I'm glad we get the down time to go to Phantom. I get dresscode guidelines next week for what we can and cant wear for the trip, so I'm sure I'll get to laugh about it while I pack. I'm also going to the Metropolitan Museum, which will be great, because I'm an artist in body and spirit.

:-: 3 weeks, 2 days til I depart :-:

cordelli Apr 12, 2006 8:37 pm

You can wear whatever you like to Broadway. In defense of some of the Jeans and shirt crowd for many shows, they just got their tickets at TKTS for the show and until an hour before had no clue they were seeing a show.

I believe you will be fine dressed like that. One of the beauties of New York is you are never the best dressed or the worst dressed person in any group, no matter what you are wearing.

QueenofWands Apr 22, 2006 12:22 am

2 weeks exactly left and I have to be up and on the way to the airport by 4:45 am on May 5th *cries* I swear that once we land at JFK I will be scouring the entire airport for a Starbucks and buy 2 or 3 Venti White Choc lattes or whatever they are.... I will totally need it....... sh!t........ I need to start packing and thinking of ways to screw over the "dress code" for the trip......

goalie Apr 22, 2006 1:16 am

Originally Posted by QueenofWands
2 weeks exactly left and I have to be up and on the way to the airport by 4:45 am on May 5th *cries* I swear that once we land at JFK I will be scouring the entire airport for a Starbucks and buy 2 or 3 Venti White Choc lattes or whatever they are.... I will totally need it....... sh!t........ I need to start packing and thinking of ways to screw over the "dress code" for the trip......

if you're on ua, it will be peet's coffee and it's about 30 feet to to the left (as you face) gate 7

jcbranch Apr 22, 2006 1:29 am

Originally Posted by QueenofWands
I keep hearing that its up to the person whether they want to dress casual or formal for a broadway show,

At the end of the day there are very few places that you actually 'have' to dress up. Sometimes it's just nice to do this. A broadway show is special to most people and something that isn't an every day experience. I think dressing up makes it an even better experience. Anyone could wear jeans sneakers and a t shirt, but that just takes away from the whole even. (my 2cents)