Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

What's the best to place to park around Lincoln Center in New York City?

Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

My Swedish relatives are going to be in NYC. They have tickets for a performance at the Lincoln Center. It's around 7PM on a Tuesday.

I did a little searching for them. Lincoln Center's website offer prepaid parking. It's $33 in their parking garage for the duration of the performance. Not that bad, for parking in NYC...

However, there's one important considerations. My relatives are planning to rent a minivan from Hertz. According to Hertz, it'll probably be a Ford Freestar and it's height is appx 70 inches. I called the parking guy at Lincoln Center was told the garage's is restricated to 62 inches... Of course, I could always just tell my relatives to rent a nice big Town Car instead...

Are there other alternative parking around the Lincoln Center area?

Thanks for any info!

Last edited by af250xxl; Mar 1, 2006 at 11:08 am
Old Mar 1, 2006, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by af250xxl
My Swedish relatives are going to be in NYC. They have tickets for a performance at the Lincoln Center. It's around 7PM on a Tuesday.

I did a little searching for them. Lincoln Center's website offer prepaid parking. It's $33 in their parking garage for the duration of the performance. Not that bad, for parking in NYC...

However, there's one important considerations. My relatives are planning to rent a minivan from Hertz. According to Hertz, it'll probably be a Ford Freestar and it's height is appx 70 inches. I called the parking guy at Lincoln Center was told the garage's is restricated to 62 inches... Of course, I could always just tell my relatives to rent a nice big Town Car instead...

Are there other alternative parking around the Lincoln Center area?

Thanks for any info!

Some of the metered parking ends at 7:00pm on the west side of Lincoln Center (10th Ave) in the 60's. You can park for free if that's the case. Otherwise, you can park on the side streets anywhere in the 60's/70's; that is, if you have the time to look for a spot.

Dan
Old Mar 1, 2006, 5:26 pm

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
$33 for a few hours seems like a rip off to me. My school is across the street from lincoln center and they recomend either
Regent Garage
$10 / 12 hours
validate at Security Desk
Entrance on West 61 Street
between Columbus/Bway
(212) 245-9594
That's with Fordham Validation or ID but I think they would still be cheaper then $33 for 4-5 hours that you are looking at.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 7:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My brother uses the Lincoln Center garage when he and his wife go to a performance. He drives an older Ford Explorer which is higher than the Freestar so I'm not sure why you were told that a FreeStar can't fit. It's also self parking.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 7:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
My brother uses the Lincoln Center garage when he and his wife go to a performance. He drives an older Ford Explorer which is higher than the Freestar so I'm not sure why you were told that a FreeStar can't fit. It's also self parking.
Yes, I think the Explorer is about 2 inches taller....
Just called that parking garage again and was told again that the height must be under 62 inches.... very strange... I'm just gonna drive down there tomorrow and see for myself...
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by af250xxl
Yes, I think the Explorer is about 2 inches taller....
Just called that parking garage again and was told again that the height must be under 62 inches.... very strange... I'm just gonna drive down there tomorrow and see for myself...
Walk inside and go up the ramp to the blue level. Look around! ^ Are those who don't call in advance grandfathered in?
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:32 am

This begs the question - if they are going to be in NYC, why do they need a car to begin with? Wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to get the vehicle on the way out of NYC? Use public while in town?
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Joisey Bound

Originally Posted by weblet
This begs the question - if they are going to be in NYC, why do they need a car to begin with? Wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to get the vehicle on the way out of NYC? Use public while in town?
Ditto on that. Just figure the closest available open parking spot to NYC is somewhere west of Hackensack, New Jersey.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:44 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
I know nothing of the garage, but I'm thinking that the "62 inches" might be a corruption of the actual height restriction, which might instead be 6 feet, 2 inches (or 74 inches). That would explain why the Explorer fits. A restriction of just over 6 feet is very common for garages. A restriction of just over 5 feet (62 inches) would be unusually short and would presumably be difficult for many people to walk through easily (without ducking).

PS Highly agree that there's no reason to have the car in NYC unless it can't be avoided. If they are beginning the trip there (I think you had a road trip question as well, where they would drive from NYC to Virginia), tell them not to rent the car until the day they are leaving.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:36 am

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
From past and terrible experience i suuggest New Jersey.I am not joking
Old Mar 4, 2006, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I don't know if it is the case with the OP's relatives, but it is possible that one or more of the travellers do not have 100 percent freedom of mobilty. I had foot surgery a few years ago, and on my first trip afterwards, to MSP, I gained a new appreciation for what people with temporary or permanent mobility limitations go through

Parking in the underground Lincoln Center also means that the travellers can use the underground concourses, a nice thing if the weather is inclement. Also, at one time, a discount was offered if the parking stay was prepaid at the underground booth before the start of the performance (I'm not sure if that policy still exists).

[rant]
I find it disturbing that some FTers, whom I assume have full freedom of movement, somehow look down at those who are not as spry and mobile as they themselves are (a recent thread in the Europe forum concerning someone asking about driving between Prague and Berlin drew some mean-spirited responses). It might behoove those blessed with freedom from infirmities (for now) to consider the reasonable special needs of others before blasting someone who dares to want to use a means of transportation that would not be their own first choice. [/rant]
Old Mar 4, 2006, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
In general, indoor parking near Lincoln Center is between $25-28 for the first 2 hours, and $35-40 for the first 24 hours. (Beware, many do not take "oversize" vehicles, or if they do, they charge extra).

While there are some free street parking spots around Lincoln Center, you need to be parked at least 30 minutes in advance of the meter expiry time to be sure of getting a space. And if you goof, the parking ticket can be as much as $125.

My recommendation for out-of-towners driving in NYC: it's absolutely worth it to pay the $35 and park in the building. Trying to find cheap parking in Manhattan is a sure-fire way to ruin what would otherwise be a fun night out - especially when you've paid $100/ticket for a show.

Last edited by jg70124; Mar 4, 2006 at 9:20 pm
Old Dec 26, 2011, 8:04 pm

Parking

Park at the Regent Garage...61 street between Columbus and Broadway..They charge $20.00 and you have untill midnite.. if you have a big car they charge $5.00 dollars extra....Great Garage with good people
Old Dec 26, 2011, 9:11 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Felix81
Park at the Regent Garage...61 street between Columbus and Broadway..They charge $20.00 and you have untill midnite.. if you have a big car they charge $5.00 dollars extra....Great Garage with good people
Welcome to Flyertalk, Felix81 and thanks for such a helpful first post^
I am now going to move this thread over to the NYC Forum for continuing discussion.
Happy New Year...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:51 am

I agree with the above poster- a height restriction of 62" can't be right- I'm 5' 2" tall which equals 62".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.