Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

JFK-EWR / EWR-JFK transit / connections (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-EWR / EWR-JFK transit / connections (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Will you have checked baggage on either flight? By what time must you arrive at EWR for your flight?

If you do the transfer by train, you can reliably count on getting from JFK to EWR in two hours.

See posts 12-20 in this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...ansfers-2.html

for a current discussion of making the transfer from JFK to EWR by rail.
Yes, i have checked baggage for each flight. I should be at EWR at 3.45, but i think 4 would also be okay if I do the online check-in. If i'll make it in 2 hours by train, everything is all right.

Thank you very much.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by themicah
Cheapest (under $6 total)
  • Q10 bus to Lefferts Blvd & Liberty Ave for the A train ($2)
  • A train to Chambers St in Manhattan (free transfer with Metrocard)
  • At Chambers St station, follow signs to PATH train
  • PATH train to Newark Penn Station ($1.50)
  • NJTransit #62 bus to Newark Airport ($1.25 or $1.95?)

hi

is this service still avaliable ?

from which terminal at JFK can I take the bus # q10 ?

is this route safe at 8:00 pm
thanks
xxlboy
Old Nov 19, 2009, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by xxlboy
hi

is this service still avaliable ?

from which terminal at JFK can I take the bus # q10 ?

is this route safe at 8:00 pm
thanks
xxlboy
Yes, all of these services are still available, but the fares have gone up a little. The Q10 and subway are each $2.25 now, but you will get a free transfer from one to the other if you pay with a Metrocard. If you do not already have one, you should be able to purchase one at the news stands in any of the JFK terminals. Minimum purchase price is $4.50. The Q10 picks up and discharges passengers at JFK's Terminal 4. If you are arriving at a different terminal, you can ride the AirTrain for free to Terminal 4.

PATH train is now $1.75, but you can pay that fare with a Metrocard as well.

NJ Transit #62 bus is $1.35, payable with coins/dollar bills.

I rarely ride the A train through Brooklyn, so I cannot comment on how safe it is at that hour of the evening. Others will chime in, I'm sure. I would have no qualms about taking the E train from the Q10 terminus at Kew Gardens to the Chambers Street/WTC station at that hour, but that would probably add about 30 minutes to your journey. Are you planning this trip on a weeknight, or on a weekend night?
Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:28 am
Suspended

Are you planning this trip on a weeknight, or on a weekend night?
thanks for your kind and very detailed confirmation

We will be there on Saturday night (21.nov)

we are 2 different family total 4 people

I do not believe ( or may be I do not want to believe ) that NYC is that much dangerous but still would like to careful.

but if you can comment about that , I would like make use of it.

is that metro ticket pay per ride ticket right ?

can I fill it with 8 USD each at the newspaper stand in JFK ?

so that I can get %15 discount ? :-)

my last visit to NYC was around 11 years ago. looking forward to see it once again :-))
Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:01 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
thanks for your kind and very detailed confirmation

I do not believe ( or may be I do not want to believe ) that NYC is that much dangerous but still would like to careful.

my last visit to NYC was around 11 years ago. looking forward to see it once again :-))
The metrocard discount works by putting extra cash on the card. Also, you'll need more than $8 (fares have gone up). You might want to check out: http://www.mta.info/metrocard.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:06 am

I've never taken the Q10, but would imagine it's fine. The A train itself is fine, too, subject to the usual caveats applicable to any big city (always remain aware of your surroundings, etc.). The Ozone Park/Lefferts Blvd (where you would transfer from Q10 to A) is the only iffy part that would give me pause, although at that hour there should be plenty of people around.

As for the Metrocard, if you're buying at a newsstand you're limited to whatever preloaded denominations they have in stock. A few years ago (when rides were $2 instead of $2.25 and the bonus was 20% instead of 15%) the most common denomination at newsstands was the $10 (which got you $12 in credit). I'm not sure what it is now, but am guessing it's probably the $8 card (which gets you $9.20 in credit or more than enough to get two people from JFK to Newark via Q10, A train and PATH).

Personally, I'd just pay the $5 for the AirTrain instead. It's faster, easier and more comfortable. And they have Metrocard vending machines there so you can buy the exact denomination you need (rounded to the nearest nickel). If, for example, you're two people and just need to get from JFK to EWR via AirTrain, A train and PATH train, you'd want to load up $15.65, which would get you $18 in credit, or exactly two $5 AirTrain rides, two $2.25 A train rides and two $1.75 PATH train rides.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New York is now one of the safest large cities in the United States, but it has some areas that are more dangerous than others. The A train does pass through some of the higher-crime neighborhoods of Brooklyn, but that does not necessarily make the train itself unsafe or dangerous. However, since I rarely ride the A train through Brooklyn, I will have to rely on other FTers on this forum to address whether they would feel safe riding the A train through Brooklyn at about 9:00 PM on a Saturday night.

The newsstands only sell pre-valued Metrocards in various denominations. If you can find a pre-valued pay-per-ride Metrocard selling for $8.00 or more, the 15% bonus will automatically be included on the card. You cannot add value to a Metrocard at the newsstands, but you can do so once you reach a subway station. However, you would still have to pay the $2.25 per person to board the Q10 bus. Do you plan on returning to New York City at any time after you reach Newark, or do you just need enough Metrocard value to get from JFK to Newark?

Also, be aware that if the four of you will be traveling together, you only need one pay-per-ride Metrocard. You can "dip" one pay-per-ride Metrocard four times at the farebox to pay the fare on the Q10 bus; when you then transfer to the subway, you would "swipe" the Metrocard only one time at the turnstile, and the four free transfers would be recognized. The turnstile would remain unlocked for four rotations, so that all four of you could pass through.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:54 am
Suspended

Also, be aware that if the four of you will be traveling together, you only need one pay-per-ride Metrocard. You can "dip" one pay-per-ride Metrocard four times at the farebox to pay the fare on the Q10 bus; when you then transfer to the subway, you would "swipe" the Metrocard only one time at the turnstile, and the four free transfers would be recognized. The turnstile would remain unlocked for four rotations, so that all four of you could pass through.
thanks that is really nice tip.

Originally Posted by themicah
The Ozone Park/Lefferts Blvd (where you would transfer from Q10 to A) is the only iffy part that would give me pause, although at that hour there should be plenty of people around.
himm that scares me :-( . I do not want to have any bad exprience at my first day in NYC.

is AirTrain safer than Bus to go to The Ozone Park/Lefferts Blvd to get the A Train ?

and does any one also know roughly total price to get taxi or limousine (incl tips + tolls and etc) to Newark Airport area (from JFK ) ?
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

himm that scares me :-( . I do not want to have any bad exprience at my first day in NYC.

is AirTrain safer than Bus to go to The Ozone Park/Lefferts Blvd to get the A Train ?

and does any one also know roughly total price to get taxi or limousine (incl tips + tolls and etc) to Newark Airport area (from JFK ) ?
The Q10 bus to Lefferts Boulevard/Liberty Avenue A train station is perfectly fine, and I would not have any concerns about safety. That area is well populated, with stores open in the evning, and I have never felt unsafe there. My only concern would be riding the A train at night through certain parts of Brooklyn, but if others on this board think that that is safe, I would not feel threatened.

If you elect to take the AirTrain instead of the bus, the AirTrain will take you to either the Howard Beach A train station, or the Sutphin Boulevard E train station. But if four of you take the AirTrain, that will add significantly to the cost of your transfer from JFK to EWR.

Here is the NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission's estimate of the taxi fare from JFK to EWR:

"To Newark Airport ...........................$69 - $75 + $15 surcharge

On trips beyond New York City, all necessary tolls to and from the destination shall be paid by the passenger."

So with tip and tolls, this should come to about $120-125.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
thanks that is really nice tip.

I've taken the Q10 bus many times and it is completely safe.
I usually take it to the end of the line and board the E train so I can't comment on what the Lefferts Blvd. A Train stop looks like at 9 pm on a Saturday night. My guess is that it's ok.
The A train should be ok, but as themicah said it travels through some sketchy areas of Brooklyn. I myself would not hesitate to take the A train at 9pm on a weekend. I would sit in a car near the conductor (the middle of the train) and would not sit in the last car of the train or an unoccupied car. As guv1976 posted NYC is one of the safest big cities, but you should be aware of your surroundings.
Bottom line is safetywise I think you and your group are fine at 9pm on a Saturday night.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 6:05 pm

Jfk to ewr airpot

Hi... I need to go of jfk to ewr airport ... The best economic way on a bus or train (no fast i have time) ... I read that i have to go to penn station .. Can someone tellme the steps that i need? Please i gonna go to visit my girlfriend ..i traveling from equator southamerica ..
Old Jan 23, 2010, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by KITO
Hi... I need to go of jfk to ewr airport ... The best economic way on a bus or train (no fast i have time) ... I read that i have to go to penn station .. Can someone tellme the steps that i need? Please i gonna go to visit my girlfriend ..i traveling from equator southamerica ..
1. From JFK, take the AirTrain to Jamaica Station.

2. From Jamaica Station, take the LIRR (Long Island Railroad) to New York Penn Station.

3. From Penn Station, take the NJT (New Jersey Transit) to EWR rail station. (On the video monitors, all trains that stop at EWR are marked EWR.)

4. From EWR rail station, take the AirTrain to the terminals.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 6:17 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Welcome to FlyerTalk, KITO!
Old Jan 23, 2010, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
1. From JFK, take the AirTrain to Jamaica Station.

2. From Jamaica Station, take the LIRR (Long Island Railroad) to New York Penn Station.

3. From Penn Station, take the NJT (New Jersey Transit) to EWR rail station. (On the video monitors, all trains that stop at EWR are marked EWR.)

4. From EWR rail station, take the AirTrain to the terminals.
Thankyou ...where is the AirTrain? in the same airport? how i can get to airtrain?
I need a card to make all steps?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by KITO
Thankyou ...where is the AirTrain? in the same airport? how i can get to airtrain?
I need a card to make all steps?
1. When leaving JFK, follow the signs to the AirTrain. It's very well marked. You don't need a ticket until you get off. Make sure to take the Jamaica Station Train.

2. At Jamaica Station, you'll need to purchase a $5 "metrocard" from one of the machines. You'll use this to exit the station. Then follow the signs to the LIRR (Long Island Railroad). It's very well marked.

3. Before boarding the LIRR, purchase a ticket from the machine on the platform. Purchase a "peak" ticket if it's before 10am on a Monday-Friday; otherwise purchase an "off peak" ticket. The video monitors will show you what the track the next train to New York Penn Station will arrive on.

4. At New York Penn Station, follow the signs to NJT (New Jersey Transit). It's very well marked. Find a ticket machine and purchase a ticket to EWR station. (Go to their website to see if you need a peak or an off peak ticket.) Look at the video monitors to determine which trains stop at EWR station. Trains that are marked "EWR" all stop at the EWR station.

5. When you get to EWR station, follow the signs to the AirTrain to the terminals. It's very well marked. You'll need to use the ticket you purchased for the NJT to get through the turnstyles to get to the AirTrain.

6. Board the AirTrain and take it to the appropriate terminal. It's very well marked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.