Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

JFK-EWR / EWR-JFK transit / connections (consolidated)

JFK-EWR / EWR-JFK transit / connections (consolidated)

Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Analise
On July 4th, you will want to rely on the rails. Take the Airtrain to Jamaica. Hop on the LIRR train to Penn Station. Don't take the subway---it's much slower.
Yes, the subway is slower, but much slower? The scheduled travel time from Jamaica to Penn Station on the LIRR is 18-20 minutes; the scheduled travel time for the "E" train between the same points is 35 minutes.

I'm not advocating one mode over the other; but the difference in travel time is not that great. And the subway is cheaper, if not as comfortable as the LIRR.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:11 am

Programs: Everything and everywhere. Officially a nomad
Is this connection possible???

My sister and her 4 year old arrive at EWR on a Thursday at 4:22 p.m. Their connection to an international flight at JFK departs at 7:50 p.m. They will have luggage. Having read this thread I'm worried that they can even make this flight. (noted that travel agent may need to be shot, not just slapped around. Of course it was her husband who booked it using miles )

Can they make it, and if so, what tips do you have to make it work?
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by guv1976
Yes, the subway is slower, but much slower? The scheduled travel time from Jamaica to Penn Station on the LIRR is 18-20 minutes; the scheduled travel time for the "E" train between the same points is 35 minutes.

I'm not advocating one mode over the other; but the difference in travel time is not that great. And the subway is cheaper, if not as comfortable as the LIRR.
The E train on a holiday is rarely efficient. I've been stuck on it enough times in Queens to make that kind of statement. This is why I didn't recommend it.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Ginger K
My sister and her 4 year old arrive at EWR on a Thursday at 4:22 p.m. Their connection to an international flight at JFK departs at 7:50 p.m. They will have luggage. Having read this thread I'm worried that they can even make this flight. (noted that travel agent may need to be shot, not just slapped around. Of course it was her husband who booked it using miles )

Can they make it, and if so, what tips do you have to make it work?
Your agent needs to be written up for making such an itinerary.....no need to shoot him/her. This is cutting it too close. Change the itinerary. PM me if you'd like.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:31 pm

Thanks Analise!

Just want to let everyone know what a great FT friend can do for you. Based upon Analise's advice through PMs, my sister was able to change her reservation and not try to make an unmanagable connection. Analise, you rock
Old Apr 13, 2006, 6:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Just want to let everyone know what a great FT friend can do for you. Based upon Analise's advice through PMs, my sister was able to change her reservation and not try to make an unmanagable connection. Analise, you rock

so, did you shoot the husband??
Old Apr 13, 2006, 7:39 am

It was my pleasure. You are very kind. Wow, now I feel great. ^
Old Apr 13, 2006, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by nytango
so, did you shoot the husband??
My sister insists upon that honor herself
Old Jun 1, 2006, 4:05 pm

Want to tag my potential scenario onto this thread....

I know it's a pain in the arse to go between these two airports, but just looking for a reality check from y'all familiar with these airports.

Arriving internationally into EWR at 6:10pm on a regular ol' Tuesday in the fall (will have to wait for a checked bag--but flying J so I'll be quick off the plane, at least). If you were a betting man, would you be willing to risk cruising to JFK to catch the 11:05pm flight to YVR?

Cab/Public Transit, we're fine with either. We just like the idea of being able to get back to the Pacific Northwest the same night without having to overnight--and I have some CX J seats on hold which I wouldn't mind checking out!
Old Jun 1, 2006, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Originally Posted by bigbrownboy

I know it's a pain in the arse to go between these two airports, but just looking for a reality check from y'all familiar with these airports.

Arriving internationally into EWR at 6:10pm on a regular ol' Tuesday in the fall (will have to wait for a checked bag--but flying J so I'll be quick off the plane, at least). If you were a betting man, would you be willing to risk cruising to JFK to catch the 11:05pm flight to YVR?

Cab/Public Transit, we're fine with either. We just like the idea of being able to get back to the Pacific Northwest the same night without having to overnight--and I have some CX J seats on hold which I wouldn't mind checking out!

It's a pain, but it's not the end of the world... I do the transfer sometimes when I get an especially good deal to fly out of EWR and into JFK (or vv). Your five hour connection will be no problem (even with the international arrival into EWR) - I tend to agree with the folks here who recommend the train. Like others, I have had my problems with the E subway train, so now pay the extra couple of bucks for the Long Island Rail Road from midtown to the JFK airtrain stop at Jamaica.

I think the earlier point was that if you are just connecting through NYC, and your travel agent (or relative) books an inter-airport connecting between EWR and JFK, then that person needs some help. But if you have some reason like catching the last flight of the day that forces the connection, it is not all that difficult, really.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by bigbrownboy

With 5 hours in between on a Tuesday, you should be fine. If you can afford to take car service, it will be easier to do especially after an international flight. If not, take the EWR airtrain to a NJ Transit train into Penn Station in Manhattan. Then take the Long Island Railroad to Jamaica (trains leave for Jamaica nearly every 5-10 minutes). Then take the Airtrain at the Jamaica train station to JFK.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 7:25 pm

Thanks Analise and gary_nj!

Just wanted to confirm that this plan was in fact "doable". Assuming everything is running on time, the series of trains seems pretty straight-forward, but I'll definitely take note of some car services as a contingency. Thanks, again.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Is it safe to assume that every car/cab driver will know to cut through Staten Island and not Manhattan?
Old Jun 2, 2006, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
Is it safe to assume that every car/cab driver will know to cut through Staten Island and not Manhattan?
I've never taken a taxi from EWR to JFK so I can't answer from experience. But going through SI seems like the quicker route to go in the evening assuming the SI Expressway, the Verrazano, and the Belt PKWY aren't backed up. Wow.....those are a lot of assumptions....
Old Jun 4, 2006, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Originally Posted by Analise
I've never taken a taxi from EWR to JFK so I can't answer from experience. But going through SI seems like the quicker route to go in the evening assuming the SI Expressway, the Verrazano, and the Belt PKWY aren't backed up. Wow.....those are a lot of assumptions....

Be very careful about taking a taxi from ewr to jfk, they cant pick up in ny so they have to charge more because of the long empty return. To make it worse you cant get a nyc based cab at ewr that has dropped off passengers at ewr because they cant pick up at ewr. That would be the best option but not avail...
The best thing to do is take a limo service. Plan ahead and call some car services, going thru SI is the only way to go its no big deal and not that far about 35 miles less than hour at that time and shouldn't be much more than car service into manhattan.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.