Search
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dstan
Updated December 2011 by cordelli
Updated 5/2012 to add in Hilton

A consolidation of some information gathered from recent posts:

Penn station
with an Amtrak or NJ Transit Ticket (Previous posts have said LIRR tickets are not acceptable)
31st street / 8th ave entrance, past the entrance for gates 1 to 4

Grand Central Terminal
No in station storage

Port Authority
No in station storage

JFK
Terminal 1 Arrivals - First floor (near Alitalia and Olympic Airlines)
Hours of Operation: 7AM-11PM
Telephone: (718) 751-2947

Terminal 3 Arrivals
Pre-Security
Arrivals
Hotels Counter in Area B

Terminal 4 Arrivals - First floor
Hours of Operation: 24 Hours
Telephone: (718) 751-4020

Edited 9/23/2010 - The Port Authority website lists storage at terminal 5, but as sbm12 indicates below this really isn't there, so I removed it. The Jet Blue website refers people to the facilities at Terminals 1 and 4.

Terminals 8 - (American Airlines)
Hours of Operation: 6AM-10PM
Approximate Cost (depending on size): $8 - $18 per day
Telephone: (718) 995-9292
Early (earlier that 6:00am) pick-up of luggage is possible.

LGA
No Storage

Newark
NBS in Terminal C, Carosel 1
1 (908) 933-0503

note - the NYC.com visitor guide for luggage storage says there is no storage at Newark, but as of December 15, 2011, kwildnj reported there is still luggage storage there, and that They are open 8:00am-1:00am daily. Fees are 10.00 First Bag, 5.00 Subsequent (per day)

Macy*s
There are many pages online saying that Macy*s will accept bags

Schwartz Travel

355 w 36th St.
Between 8th & 9th Ave. – 2nd Floor
Close to MSG, Penn Station (West Side) & Port Authority A.C.E. Subway stop, next to the Wyndham Hotel
Open Everyday: 8am - 11pm

34 w 46th St.
Between 5th & 6th Ave. – 4th Floor
Close to Times Square & Grand Central Terminal Same Building as Via Brasil & Subway
Open Everyday: 8am - 11pm

2 w 32th St.
Between 5th Ave & Broadway – 5th Floor
Close to MSG, Penn Station (East Side) & the Empire State Building
(Located near 5th Ave. Next to the Nyma Hotel. Same building as the Korean Museam, OZ Hair, Kirakuya Sake Bar)
Now Closed - will re-open July 2012

Day . Week . Month Please send e-mail to reserve - Walk-ins Welcome. Storage Price: $7 - $10 each bag. $10 maximum per day per luggage. Monthly Rate: $2 to $5 a day, (depending on size) per luggage.Tourist Friendly - Special Group & Student Rates Safe . Secure . Reliable. Satisfaction Guaranteed

We are Open Everyday at 355 w 36th st included Major Holidays.

Near Yankee Stadium
In the Bronx across from Yankee Stadium at the bowling alley. They have a pretty good bag check.

Hilton Hotel
6th between 53 and 54th, Manhattan
I was there for a meeting this morning and noticed they have a luggage storage side on first floor just to the right of the main entrance as you face the hotel. Open 7 am to 10 pm, $3.50 per bag per calendar day. Says to ask the front desk after hours.
Print Wikipost

The definitive "Where can I leave my bags in NYC?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2005, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
The definitive "Where can I leave my bags in NYC?" thread

As a frequent (but never frequent enough) visitor to NYC, I'm constantly looking for a place to leave my backpack for a few hours. I know that I'm not alone, and people who aren't enlightened that travel with suitcases sometimes need to ditch those, too.

My friend lives in The Bronx, and has passed on this piece of advice to many, many visitors and residents alike. I used it last time I visited; I had a night flight out of JFK, but didn't want to return to The Bronx from Manhattan just to collect my things:

At Penn Station, near Amtrak track #5 , there is a "parcel check" service at which one can check baggage to be held for pickup later. The cost is around $5 per package. Recently, I have not encountered any requirement to purchase or show an Amtrak ticket in conjunction with this service. Even if there were, I suppose one could purchase a cheap Amtrak ticket and still spend no more than $10 or $15 to store a bag.

Since lockers are scarce-to-non-existent in New York, what other tips can you provide on storing luggage in Manhattan and elsewhere in NYC?

Last edited by dstan; Jul 26, 2017 at 10:56 am Reason: removed mod quote of cordelli Post #20 - new wikipost
Old Nov 18, 2005, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
I've never been refused at any major full-service hotel bell stand. For $5 they'll check and hold any reasonable amount of luggage. It makes no difference that you weren't staying there.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:22 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The lower level of the Waldrof has a manned counter for baggage check too.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
I've had no problem leaving backpacks at the coat check at The Met, however anything larger than that would probably not be accepted. I'm not sure how convenient that is in terms of location and hours, however.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 10:19 am

This seems like the perfect kind of topic for the new FlyerTalk Wiki system.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:07 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
I'm flying into JFK T4 at 11.50am and out from T4 at 9.30pm. I assume I can leave a suitcase at the T4 baggage facilities while I head downtown for the day?
Old Mar 2, 2006, 7:53 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I'd give them a call to be sure they are still open.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:29 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Leave 'em at my office in midtown for $5/bag
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
Originally Posted by Dromomaniac
At Penn Station, near Amtrak track #5, there is a "parcel check" service at which one can check baggage to be held for pickup later.
What are the hours of this service? I'm arriving around 9:30pm for a party, then leaving on the 3:15am to BBY and don't know if they'll let me bring the bag into the bar.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by choster
What are the hours of this service? I'm arriving around 9:30pm for a party, then leaving on the 3:15am to BBY and don't know if they'll let me bring the bag into the bar.
Hours: 05:15 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by choster
I'm arriving around 9:30pm for a party, then leaving on the 3:15am to BBY and don't know if they'll let me bring the bag into the bar.
Have you thought about checking your bag on Amtrak through to Boston? The overnight train accepts checked baggage. Since Back Bay does not handle checked baggage, you would have to be ticketed to South Station and check your bag to that destination. But you could still get off the train at Back Bay, and claim your bag at South Station later that day or the next day, whenever it was convenient for you to do so.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I think hotels generally are the best bet for leaving luggage in NYC. There is not a bellman in NYC who will not safely stow your bags for you for $5 or $10 (although you should give more if you have more than a couple of bags). If you need to pick up your bags during the middle of the night (morning?), just confirm with the bellman that someone will be available to help you.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:10 pm
GSR

Programs: AA 2MM
I am flying into JFK on a red-eye, arriving Friday morning around 5:45 am.

I am flying out of LGA at 4:30.

I searched other threads and it sounds like my best bet is to take the E train into the city and leave my bags at Penn Station or at a nearby hotel.

What time should I leave mid-town to make it for my flight at LGA? Is the M60 the best option or should I take a bus out of mid-town instead? I was planning to take the subway uptown and then take the M60 to LGA but thought some of you may know if there is a better option via bus to LGA.

While I am in the city, I would like to go work out and go shopping. Any suggestions for a good gym?
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by GSR
I am flying into JFK on a red-eye, arriving Friday morning around 5:45 am.

I am flying out of LGA at 4:30.

I searched other threads and it sounds like my best bet is to take the E train into the city and leave my bags at Penn Station or at a nearby hotel.
The LIRR will get you to Penn Station about 20 minutes quicker than the E train, but on a Friday morning it'll cost significantly more ($7 as oppposed to $2).

What time should I leave mid-town to make it for my flight at LGA?
Depends on how you go to the airport, what airline you're flying, where you're flying to, whether you're checking bags, etc.

Is the M60 the best option or should I take a bus out of mid-town instead? I was planning to take the subway uptown and then take the M60 to LGA but thought some of you may know if there is a better option via bus to LGA.
We have a FAQ on flyertalk wiki that explains all your options for getting to the airport from Manhattan.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 5:56 pm
GSR

Programs: AA 2MM
themicah -

Thanks for the tips! I will be flying from LGA on American to Chicago, connecting to an int'l flight at O'Hare. I am not sure if I will have so much that I will check a bag or not. I am elite on American so I don't think getting through the check-in process should be that bad.

the Wiki looks like it will answer any and all airport connection questions I may have!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.