The definitive "Where can I leave my bags in NYC?" thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dstan
Updated December 2011 by cordelli
Updated 5/2012 to add in Hilton

A consolidation of some information gathered from recent posts:

Penn station
with an Amtrak or NJ Transit Ticket (Previous posts have said LIRR tickets are not acceptable)
31st street / 8th ave entrance, past the entrance for gates 1 to 4

Grand Central Terminal
No in station storage

Port Authority
No in station storage

JFK
Terminal 1 Arrivals - First floor (near Alitalia and Olympic Airlines)
Hours of Operation: 7AM-11PM
Telephone: (718) 751-2947

Terminal 3 Arrivals
Pre-Security
Arrivals
Hotels Counter in Area B

Terminal 4 Arrivals - First floor
Hours of Operation: 24 Hours
Telephone: (718) 751-4020

Edited 9/23/2010 - The Port Authority website lists storage at terminal 5, but as sbm12 indicates below this really isn't there, so I removed it. The Jet Blue website refers people to the facilities at Terminals 1 and 4.

Terminals 8 - (American Airlines)
Hours of Operation: 6AM-10PM
Approximate Cost (depending on size): $8 - $18 per day
Telephone: (718) 995-9292
Early (earlier that 6:00am) pick-up of luggage is possible.

LGA
No Storage

Newark
NBS in Terminal C, Carosel 1
1 (908) 933-0503

note - the NYC.com visitor guide for luggage storage says there is no storage at Newark, but as of December 15, 2011, kwildnj reported there is still luggage storage there, and that They are open 8:00am-1:00am daily. Fees are 10.00 First Bag, 5.00 Subsequent (per day)

Macy*s
There are many pages online saying that Macy*s will accept bags

Schwartz Travel

355 w 36th St.
Between 8th & 9th Ave. – 2nd Floor
Close to MSG, Penn Station (West Side) & Port Authority A.C.E. Subway stop, next to the Wyndham Hotel
Open Everyday: 8am - 11pm

34 w 46th St.
Between 5th & 6th Ave. – 4th Floor
Close to Times Square & Grand Central Terminal Same Building as Via Brasil & Subway
Open Everyday: 8am - 11pm

2 w 32th St.
Between 5th Ave & Broadway – 5th Floor
Close to MSG, Penn Station (East Side) & the Empire State Building
(Located near 5th Ave. Next to the Nyma Hotel. Same building as the Korean Museam, OZ Hair, Kirakuya Sake Bar)
Now Closed - will re-open July 2012

Day . Week . Month Please send e-mail to reserve - Walk-ins Welcome. Storage Price: $7 - $10 each bag. $10 maximum per day per luggage. Monthly Rate: $2 to $5 a day, (depending on size) per luggage.Tourist Friendly - Special Group & Student Rates Safe . Secure . Reliable. Satisfaction Guaranteed

We are Open Everyday at 355 w 36th st included Major Holidays.

Near Yankee Stadium
In the Bronx across from Yankee Stadium at the bowling alley. They have a pretty good bag check.

Hilton Hotel
6th between 53 and 54th, Manhattan
I was there for a meeting this morning and noticed they have a luggage storage side on first floor just to the right of the main entrance as you face the hotel. Open 7 am to 10 pm, $3.50 per bag per calendar day. Says to ask the front desk after hours.
Print Wikipost

The definitive "Where can I leave my bags in NYC?" thread

Old Feb 2, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: none
Not at an Airport or Public transport area, but here

http://www.schwartztravel.com/
Old Feb 28, 2010, 2:26 am

Programs: Too Many to Count
Any one of NY's "free" museums will take them at coat check. I've done this plenty of times in other cities all over the US. Never had a problem. Only issue is, you have to a) come back before the joint closes and b) leave from the other side of the museum so that the person who helped you doesn't see you leave as well!
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cordelli
Terminal 5
Baggage Storage
Pre-Security
Arrivals
This facility does not actually exist. I questioned it when you posted it in the other thread and I confirmed it in the couple times I've passed through that terminal this month.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:47 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
This facility does not actually exist. I questioned it when you posted it in the other thread and I confirmed it in the couple times I've passed through that terminal this month.

I've updated the list
Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by meducate
Leave 'em at my office in midtown for $5/bag
Do you have any extra TSA search notices, you can pop one of those in for when you return the bags
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
I have used the facility at JFK, Terminal 8 (AA), lower level.
I was charged $18/day for a set of golf clubs.

I don't know if it's worth mentioning about how much time it takes to drop off luggage at different facilities. I got the impression that at JFK T8, it normally takes 10 minutes, but if you are half-hysterical and in a hurry, it can be done in five minutes.

In the case of JFK (no idea how similiar/different other locations would be), I I had to show a driver's license and credit card (not sure if they swiped it for an auth -- I paid cash at pick up), they photocopied the driver's license (and perhaps the card), I had to fill out a form, etc. Each of these steps is a bit They usually fill out a form on a computer, print it out, and then you sign it. Each of these steps is a bit slow. Having arrived at JFK 25 minutes before my flight with a set of golf clubs, I repeatedly asked that they do it in the fastest possible way, and they whipped out a paper form that we filled in.

I managed to get them into storage and make my flight.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 7:04 am

I don't recommend the following as a good option for storing your luggage but I'm mentioning this as an anecdote.

Once after a stay at a hostel (this was 10 years ago when I didn't care as much for things such as egyptian sheets and in-room breakfast) in New York I had a scheduled pick-up by Supershuttle to EWR at the Marriot Marquis in Times Square. I simply stepped inside the hotel entrance with my bags asked the elevator attendant to punch me up to the lobby/hotel reception (on the 10th floor or something). I got out of the elevator and headed for the busy reception area. I approached some baggage handlers by their trolleys directly, told them I was already checked out and would like to store my bags until my pick-up arrived. I had a five dollar bill out before he could get my name down on the luggage tag.

No questions asked. Smooth sailing. There wasn't even a fee back then.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
I don't recommend the following as a good option for storing your luggage but I'm mentioning this as an anecdote.

Once after a stay at a hostel (this was 10 years ago when I didn't care as much for things such as egyptian sheets and in-room breakfast) in New York I had a scheduled pick-up by Supershuttle to EWR at the Marriot Marquis in Times Square. I simply stepped inside the hotel entrance with my bags asked the elevator attendant to punch me up to the lobby/hotel reception (on the 10th floor or something). I got out of the elevator and headed for the busy reception area. I approached some baggage handlers by their trolleys directly, told them I was already checked out and would like to store my bags until my pick-up arrived. I had a five dollar bill out before he could get my name down on the luggage tag.

No questions asked. Smooth sailing. There wasn't even a fee back then.
I don't understand why you don't recommend this option. I think one can walk into virtually any hotel and ask to have luggage stored.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
I don't understand why you don't recommend this option. I think one can walk into virtually any hotel and ask to have luggage stored.
Frankly because I'm not to sure how keen hotels are on handling non-staying peoples luggage.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 7:53 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
In some hotels, like the Waldrof, the baggage storage is open and available to everybody. Most hotels don't care if you are a guest or not, some have posted signs for storage rates.
Old May 8, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone have any suggestions of large hotels not so far from Chelsea where one could plausibly leave bags?

Last edited by tsg20; May 9, 2011 at 7:38 am
Old May 9, 2011, 9:47 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
In McCarran airport (LasVegas) they have lockers for storing (reasonable size) luggage. These are all after security. Convenient for a several hour layover. If LAS can do this, why can't JFK, LGA?
Old May 12, 2011, 9:07 pm

Anyone have any suggestions for an option near Citi Field??

It looks like I'll be going to a game shortly after arrival home into LGA and heading back to my apartment first to drop a bag will be quite annoying. Best I can think of is the Sheraton in Flushing but I'm hoping for a better idea.
Old May 12, 2011, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by sbm12
Anyone have any suggestions for an option near Citi Field??

It looks like I'll be going to a game shortly after arrival home into LGA and heading back to my apartment first to drop a bag will be quite annoying. Best I can think of is the Sheraton in Flushing but I'm hoping for a better idea.
I think that your options are to either check the bag on your inbound flight, and just not claim it until after the game (not sure what the airline's liability is if you wait five hours to claim the bag and it's missing), or try leaving it at any of a number of hotels, including the Sheraton in Flushing, or the Marriott or LaGuardia Plaza on Ditmars. You can easily get to the stadium from any of those places with the Q48 or a taxi; and you can also use the #7 to travel between the Sheraton and the stadium.
Old May 27, 2011, 5:49 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The Sheraton denied me.

So did the Comfort Inn around the corner.

The HoJo down the block from them, after a bit of begging, offered to hold it for $5 that I'm quite certain the front desk guy pocketed.

In short, don't do it because you are likely to fail.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.