Search
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dstan
Updated December 2011 by cordelli
Updated 5/2012 to add in Hilton

A consolidation of some information gathered from recent posts:

Penn station
with an Amtrak or NJ Transit Ticket (Previous posts have said LIRR tickets are not acceptable)
31st street / 8th ave entrance, past the entrance for gates 1 to 4

Grand Central Terminal
No in station storage

Port Authority
No in station storage

JFK
Terminal 1 Arrivals - First floor (near Alitalia and Olympic Airlines)
Hours of Operation: 7AM-11PM
Telephone: (718) 751-2947

Terminal 3 Arrivals
Pre-Security
Arrivals
Hotels Counter in Area B

Terminal 4 Arrivals - First floor
Hours of Operation: 24 Hours
Telephone: (718) 751-4020

Edited 9/23/2010 - The Port Authority website lists storage at terminal 5, but as sbm12 indicates below this really isn't there, so I removed it. The Jet Blue website refers people to the facilities at Terminals 1 and 4.

Terminals 8 - (American Airlines)
Hours of Operation: 6AM-10PM
Approximate Cost (depending on size): $8 - $18 per day
Telephone: (718) 995-9292
Early (earlier that 6:00am) pick-up of luggage is possible.

LGA
No Storage

Newark
NBS in Terminal C, Carosel 1
1 (908) 933-0503

note - the NYC.com visitor guide for luggage storage says there is no storage at Newark, but as of December 15, 2011, kwildnj reported there is still luggage storage there, and that They are open 8:00am-1:00am daily. Fees are 10.00 First Bag, 5.00 Subsequent (per day)

Macy*s
There are many pages online saying that Macy*s will accept bags

Schwartz Travel

355 w 36th St.
Between 8th & 9th Ave. – 2nd Floor
Close to MSG, Penn Station (West Side) & Port Authority A.C.E. Subway stop, next to the Wyndham Hotel
Open Everyday: 8am - 11pm

34 w 46th St.
Between 5th & 6th Ave. – 4th Floor
Close to Times Square & Grand Central Terminal Same Building as Via Brasil & Subway

2 w 32th St.
Between 5th Ave & Broadway – 5th Floor
Close to MSG, Penn Station (East Side) & the Empire State Building
(Located near 5th Ave. Next to the Nyma Hotel. Same building as the Korean Museam, OZ Hair, Kirakuya Sake Bar)
Now Closed - will re-open July 2012

Day . Week . Month Please send e-mail to reserve - Walk-ins Welcome. Storage Price: $7 - $10 each bag. $10 maximum per day per luggage. Monthly Rate: $2 to $5 a day, (depending on size) per luggage.Tourist Friendly - Special Group & Student Rates Safe . Secure . Reliable. Satisfaction Guaranteed

We are Open Everyday at 355 w 36th st included Major Holidays.

Near Yankee Stadium
In the Bronx across from Yankee Stadium at the bowling alley. They have a pretty good bag check.

Hilton Hotel
6th between 53 and 54th, Manhattan
I was there for a meeting this morning and noticed they have a luggage storage side on first floor just to the right of the main entrance as you face the hotel. Open 7 am to 10 pm, $3.50 per bag per calendar day. Says to ask the front desk after hours.
Print Wikipost

The definitive "Where can I leave my bags in NYC?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2007, 6:06 am

Location: Washington, DC, USA : Starwood Gold, DL- no more :-(
Do you all still think the best option for checking bags is with a hotel doorman? What about the baggage services at JFK? I have a Delta flight that arrives on a Friday morning at 8:25 am. We're planning to explore the city and then we fly out to London at 7 pm that night. We can lug our bags into the city and check them with a hotel if that's the best option, butif we could avoid bringing them on the Subway that would be easier.

Also, how busy will the subways be around 9 am on a Friday? Also, for our return to JFK we'll likely be leaving the city around 4:00 or 4:30. how busy would they be then?

Thanks!
Old Oct 29, 2007, 6:13 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
In the Bronx across from Yankee Stadium at the bowling alley. They have a pretty good bag check.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 6:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by staylor9
Do you all still think the best option for checking bags is with a hotel doorman? What about the baggage services at JFK? I have a Delta flight that arrives on a Friday morning at 8:25 am. We're planning to explore the city and then we fly out to London at 7 pm that night. We can lug our bags into the city and check them with a hotel if that's the best option, butif we could avoid bringing them on the Subway that would be easier.

Also, how busy will the subways be around 9 am on a Friday? Also, for our return to JFK we'll likely be leaving the city around 4:00 or 4:30. how busy would they be then?

Thanks!
Use the JFK luggage storage in either Terminal 1 or Terminal 4.

Here is the link with info... http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTrave...n_luggage.html

As for the subways around 9am... there will still be plenty of people riding... but I think it might be better for you to take the airtrain to Jamaica and then take the Long Island Railroad in to Penn Station and do the same trip back. The A train from JFK is a long and boring ride and it will be busy. The Air Train is much more pleasant, the LIRR is an easy and direct ride from Jamaica. You will be much happier. It will be busy at both times. But definitely use the baggage storage at the airport. You do not want to lug your luggage into the city.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Dromomaniac
At Penn Station, near Amtrak track #5, there is a "parcel check" service at which one can check baggage to be held for pickup later. The cost is around $5 per package. Recently, I have not encountered any requirement to purchase or show an Amtrak ticket in conjunction with this service. Even if there were, I suppose one could purchase a cheap Amtrak ticket and still spend no more than $10 or $15 to store a bag.
I used this service today. It is $4.50. The person did ask for a ticket, and I produced a NJ Transit ticket. That was sufficient.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:36 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Updated December 2011

A consolidation of some information gathered from recent posts:

Updated 5/2012 to add in Hilton

Penn station
with an Amtrak or NJ Transit Ticket (Previous posts have said LIRR tickets are not acceptable)
31st street / 8th ave entrance, past the entrance for gates 1 to 4

Grand Central Terminal
No in station storage

Port Authority
No in station storage

JFK
Terminal 1 Arrivals - First floor (near Alitalia and Olympic Airlines)
Hours of Operation: 7AM-11PM
Telephone: (718) 751-2947

Terminal 3 Arrivals
Pre-Security
Arrivals
Hotels Counter in Area B

Terminal 4 Arrivals - First floor
Hours of Operation: 24 Hours
Telephone: (718) 751-4020

Edited 9/23/2010 - The Port Authority website lists storage at terminal 5, but as sbm12 indicates below this really isn't there, so I removed it. The Jet Blue website refers people to the facilities at Terminals 1 and 4.

Terminals 8 - (American Airlines)
Hours of Operation: 6AM-10PM
Approximate Cost (depending on size): $8 - $18 per day
Telephone: (718) 995-9292
Early (earlier that 6:00am) pick-up of luggage is possible.

LGA
No Storage

Newark
NBS in Terminal C, Carosel 1
1 (908) 933-0503

note - the NYC.com visitor guide for luggage storage says there is no storage at Newark, but as of December 15, 2011, kwildnj reported there is still luggage storage there, and that They are open 8:00am-1:00am daily. Fees are 10.00 First Bag, 5.00 Subsequent (per day)

Macy*s
There are many pages online saying that Macy*s will accept bags

Schwartz Travel

355 w 36th St.
Between 8th & 9th Ave. – 2nd Floor
Close to MSG, Penn Station (West Side) & Port Authority A.C.E. Subway stop, next to the Wyndham Hotel

34 w 46th St.
Between 5th & 6th Ave. – 4th Floor
Close to Times Square & Grand Central Terminal Same Building as Via Brasil & Subway

2 w 32th St.
Between 5th Ave & Broadway – 5th Floor
Close to MSG, Penn Station (East Side) & the Empire State Building
(Located near 5th Ave. Next to the Nyma Hotel. Same building as the Korean Museam, OZ Hair, Kirakuya Sake Bar)
Now Closed - will re-open July 2012

Day . Week . Month Please send e-mail to reserve - Walk-ins Welcome. Storage Price: $7 - $10 each bag. $10 maximum per day per luggage. Monthly Rate: $2 to $5 a day, (depending on size) per luggage.Tourist Friendly - Special Group & Student Rates Safe . Secure . Reliable. Satisfaction Guaranteed

We are Open Everyday at 355 w 36th st included Major Holidays.

Near Yankee Stadium

Hilton Hotel
6th between 53 and 54th, Manhattan
I was there for a meeting this morning and noticed they have a luggage storage side on first floor just to the right of the main entrance as you face the hotel. Open 7 am to 10 pm, $3.50 per bag per calendar day. Says to ask the front desk after hours.

Last edited by cordelli; May 2, 2012 at 6:40 pm
Old Nov 18, 2009, 5:35 am

This is the first I have heard of Macy's. Does anyone have experience that they'll hold a full carry-on suotcase (or larger)?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:54 am
In Memoriam

No personal experience but on other travel boards many people say when they checked their bag there were many others lined up against the wall. Because the storage place is right around the corner, they suggest to try Macy*s first, if they have space leave it there, if not then go to the storage place.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
cordelli, thanks for the great summary. I quoted it in the first post for easy access.

Note: I notice the mod linked to it as well; I hope my edit is OK too.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 4:06 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Dromomaniac
cordelli, thanks for the great summary. I quoted it in the first post for easy access.

Note: I notice the mod linked to it as well; I hope my edit is OK too.
Even better! Just want to make sure the info stays current.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:05 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The NY Philharmonic in Lincoln Center 65th Street and Bway, has a bag check facility; they charge $3/bag--it certainly open during a concert. If there is a day and evening concert it would be open for many hours. [Their web site doesn't make note of this service.]
You do NOT have to be attending the concert to use the check service.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Question NBS held baggage service at EWR

I researched NBS a bit since I've flown EWR >100 times and never heard of them and will use them 3+x before April's end.

Here is a poorly written thus difficult-to-trust report of trouble with NBS.

Their TripAdvisor entry is more believable.

LuggageGuides.com' and Fodor's' postings leaner but ok.

I'll edit this post with my experience after next month's uses.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by jonu
This is the first I have heard of Macy's. Does anyone have experience that they'll hold a full carry-on suotcase (or larger)?
We checked 1 full, large-ish day pack, 1 medium day pack, 1 full shopping bag for half a day at Macy's. There was no direct cost, as in no set price, but I intended to tip when I picked up the bags. However, the person "working" there when we returned never got off his cell phone long enough (clearly a personal call) to notice I was offering him a gratuity.

Later we checked out of our hotel at 10 a.m. but the concierge kept the bags in their storage room until 5 p.m. for us. He was happy to accept a tip.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
what to do with luggage at Manhattan?

hello,

I'll arrive on feb12th at 9am at LGA and will leave at 7pm from JFK ... any ideas on what to do with luggage? are there any lockers at central or penn station?

thanks for any helpful ideas, I don't feel like exploring new york with my daughter AND luggage. ...
Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:30 am
In Memoriam

merged to main thread, not applicable anymore

Last edited by cordelli; Feb 2, 2010 at 7:48 pm Reason: context post-merge
Old Feb 2, 2010, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I was at the Hilton on 6th Avenue @ 53rd street this afternoon for a conference. They have a large bag storage operation just off the main lobby (North side) where they will hold bags. It is $3.50 per bag per calendar day. The sign officially says for hotel guests only but I doubt they are really checking most of the time. With the number of folks they were cycling through this afternoon I'm not entirely sure how they could be verifying anything other than the cash changing hands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.