Community
Wiki Posts
Search

airports to Lower Manhatten

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:35 am
Original Poster

airports to Lower Manhatten

What are options for getting from area airports to downtown Manhattan? Some routes that I've taken (or found when looking at transit schedules are below... Are there things I missed? Or others that are just totally insane?

EWR - NJT to newark penn, path to WTC, around $3 (45 minutes?)

LGA - bus to subway ($2 with metrocard) or cab (~$20) (45 minutes)

JFK - airtrain to sbway ($7) - is there still a transit bus that goes from the airport to subway? ($2?) (1 hour)

HPN - uh .. rental car or taxi to metro north to subway? Or I guess a bee line bus from airport connecting to another bus to subway could get you there cheaply if you have a day to spare.

SWF - no idea

ISP - bus to LIRR to subway ($15?) (2 hours?)

PHL - Septa train to Amtrak to Path ($57) (2 hours)
or septa bus + transfer + NJT bus + light rail to Trenton (~$4) + NJT Transit ($7.65) + Path ($1.50) (5 hours?)
or septa train ($5.50) to Chinatown bus ($10) (~3 hours)
or septa from airport to Trenton ($7 or $12.50?) to NJ transit to Newark ($7.65) to Path ($1.50) (3 hours?)
or many other combinations...
Old Jun 15, 2005, 6:45 am

Programs: UA Premier Executive, Hilton Gold
Best way

Take the NJT bus 62 to Newark Penn Station ($1.10)

then,

Path to Jersey City, Hoboken or Manhattan ($1.50)
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:07 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

At Newark, I thought the recommended way was now to take the airport monorail to the NJT Newark airport station, thus avoiding the scary (to me) Newark Penn Station bit entirely. There is a $5-7 premium for this route over the above suggestions. Make sure you don't get on Amtrak which is outrageously more expensive.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by L Dude 7
EWR - NJT to newark penn, path to WTC, around $3 (45 minutes?)
NJT to Newark Penn will cost you $6.80 + $1.50 for the PATH.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
At Newark, I thought the recommended way was now to take the airport monorail to the NJT Newark airport station, thus avoiding the scary (to me) Newark Penn Station bit entirely.
That will get you to NY Penn Station, from which you'll need to take a subway to lower Manhattan. Switching to the PATH at NWK is cheaper and more direct.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
At Newark, I thought the recommended way was now to take the airport monorail to the NJT Newark airport station, thus avoiding the scary (to me) Newark Penn Station bit entirely. There is a $5-7 premium for this route over the above suggestions.
Honestly, Newark Penn isn't that scary. Often you can just walk across the platform to get to the PATH train. If not, you go downstairs and walk back up to PATH. If you're going downtown, switching to the PATH at Newark Penn is not only less expensive than going into NY Penn, but it's the faster and more direct way to go.

Last edited by Analise; Jun 17, 2005 at 7:55 am
Old Jun 16, 2005, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Analise is correct. Newark Penn is not as nice as Penn Station (NYC/NYP), but it's fine enough on ordinary days.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:39 am

I use Newark Penn Station all the time. Fewer homeless people in wintertime begging for money than in and out side NY Penn Station. Plenty of NJ Transit police throughout the station especially the concourses. ^
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Premier Executive, Hilton Gold
Bus Fare Increase

As of today, the 62 NJT bus from EWR to Newark Penn Station is $1.25 (Up from $1.10). PATH still remains at $1.50. Still be best way to go from EWR to Newark, Hoboken, Jersey City and a small town called New York.

(Correction: I was off by a nickel)
^

Last edited by hernande; Jul 2, 2005 at 6:41 am
Old Jul 1, 2005, 2:46 pm
SWG

Originally Posted by hernande
As of today, the 62 NJT bus from EWR to Newark Penn Station is $1.20 (Up from $1.10).
Not sure if I can afford that one!
Old Jul 5, 2005, 3:50 pm

Programs: NW Plat, CO Plat
From EWR, you can take a Coach USA/ Olympia trails bus. They have a line that stops first in Chinatown (Lafayette and Walker, just a block south of Canal St) and then at Church st (and Park Place), just a block north of the ground zero area. There is a bus every 30 min and I never had a problem. Trip takes usually 25 min when there is light traffic but can take up to 45/50 minutes during peak hours

It costs 22usd for a return or 13 usd for a single ride
Old Jul 20, 2005, 9:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle, HH Silver
From SWF you might be able to take a taxi to one of the "Metro-North" lines operated by NJT, then take a ferry from Hoboken. I don't think those lines run on weekends, though.

I would recommend the Olympia bus for EWR- I used it many times to get there when I worked downtown and was headed out for the weekend.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Durning the week there is a railink connection from metro north's hudson line to swf..However that is weekdays only..As far as from ewr do not take the coach usa bus it is always a mess and can be subject to awful traffic...
-howie
Old Jul 29, 2005, 7:43 pm

I live in Jamaica Queens so naturally when I come through JFK I take the Airtrain to Jamaica then pick up my car. But yes, You can still take a bus from JFK to the subway though I'm not quite sure about this but there is a free shuttle bus that takes u from JFK to the "A" Train. But taking the A train will take u through brooklyn and that ride is long. The best option would be the Airtrain to "E" Train which will run u about an hour total.. or if time is an issue u may want to take the Airtrain to the LIRR then transfer at Penn Station for a train downstars.. It will run u around $9 on weekend and a few dollars more during the week when the LIRR don't have the weekend discount.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:19 am

Programs: NW Plat, CO Plat
Originally Posted by venusfanatic
I live in Jamaica Queens so naturally when I come through JFK I take the Airtrain to Jamaica then pick up my car. But yes, You can still take a bus from JFK to the subway though I'm not quite sure about this but there is a free shuttle bus that takes u from JFK to the "A" Train. But taking the A train will take u through brooklyn and that ride is long. The best option would be the Airtrain to "E" Train which will run u about an hour total.. or if time is an issue u may want to take the Airtrain to the LIRR then transfer at Penn Station for a train downstars.. It will run u around $9 on weekend and a few dollars more during the week when the LIRR don't have the weekend discount.
Actually, the free shuttle bus has been replaced by 5 usd Airtrain ride (JFK terminals to Howard Beach A train station or Jamaica) for a while now.

I always use the A train/ Airtrain. It usually take me 35min from Chambers St to Howard beach/ JFK station + another 10 min on the Airtrain to get from Howard beach to my terminal.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by L Dude 7
JFK - airtrain to sbway ($7) - is there still a transit bus that goes from the airport to subway? ($2?) (1 hour)
The Q10 bus still picks up from each of the JFK terminals and goes to Union Turnpike/Kew Gardens where it connects with the E and F. On its route along Lefferts Boulevard, it also connects with the A train at Lefferts Boulevard Station in Ozone Park (not the same A train branch that goes to the Howard Beach/JFK AirTrain station), and with the J/Z trains at 121st Street/Jamaica Avenue Station.

The Q10 is currently operated by Green Bus Lines (all of whose bus routes are soon to be taken over by the MTA), and Metrocard is accepted for fare payment. Transfer to the subway is available if Metrocard is used to pay the bus fare. The travel time on the Q10 can be up to one hour, depending on where you board the bus at JFK, and whether you are going to Kew Gardens (the last stop), or one of the closer subway transfer points.

Other buses with subway connections that serve JFK are the Q3 (connects with the F train at 179th Street and 169th Street), and the B15 (connects with the 3 train at New Lots Avenue). If you're heading to lower Manhattan and don't want to pay the AirTrain fare, I think your best bet is the Q10, as long as you don't mind the extra time it takes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.